Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting discussions abound regarding what people have for home burglar alarms. We live in a rural subdivision, and have the "Neighborhood Watch" system. But another unique, simple system we use in our home is keeping a spare remote for our car next to our bed( along with a Ruger SP101). Touching the "panic" button on the remote causes the car horn and flashing lights to go wild, which should get the attention of any would-be intruder. What are some other good ideas that forum members use ?? Please chime in.:)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I purchased this system this past June and I am highly pleased with it.

Amazon.com: Skylink SC-1000 Complete Wireless Alarm System, White: Electronics

I added an extra door alarm, an additional siren, and 2 remote keypads. It is very easy to add additional options as you see the need. The main units operate from AC with battery backup.
It is wireless so all that is necessary is to mount the various components and configure them.
It will dial up to 8 phone numbers when activated. I currently have it set up to dial my cell number, but may add a few nearby neighbors since I have found that it does not "false" like many cheaper setups do.

I live in a rural area so any of those monitored systems that call a "center" and then they notify 911 would be pretty much worthless for me. Plus they charge $30 or so a month.

When we are asleep at night it would be impossible to enter our house without activating the alarm and the sound of it would probably send any sane person running. No doors can be opened, all windows are covered, and no movement can occur near any doors or windows. I even have my outside storage shed covered. In the event that the intruder(s) keep coming, it will give me adequate warning to meet them with either the 12 ga short barrel pump or the .40 cal semi-auto with laser that is by our bed.

I couldn't recommend anything more. We have a cat and I had to adjust the motion sensors to keep her from activating them. IF you have a large dog inside your house, you would have to set up the motion devices to prevent the dog from activating them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Touching the "panic" button on the remote causes the car horn and flashing lights to go wild, which should get the attention of any would-be intruder. What are some other good ideas that forum members use ?? Please chime in.:)
I like that.

I don't have a burglar alarm but a buddy uses several remote cameras with motion detection. All the video is uploaded to a private server. Can also be programmed to text him when tripped as well as remotely view live action any time from most smart devices. His problem is with neighborhood vandals.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have 5 dogs. None of them are "mean" but they are protective. And when someone does come around, they are noisy. Admittedly, one of the old ones, 16 going on 17, only wakes up and barks when the others start.

Several months ago, I was sitting here in my office about 7:30 one morning entering my work reports from the day before, into my computer. My wife had left for work, and it was quiet. I hear the front door rattle, and the dogs went ballistic. When I got to the door and looked out, there was a young man speeding out of the drive into the street. He was trying doors to see of they were locked, and the dogs made him think better about staying around. Which is just what I want to happen.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I have a layered approach. Try not to attract crooks, but if they come they'll need to deal with the dogs in the yard. If they persist they'll need to smash through windows that won't break easily, or kick in doors that won't budge easily, and if they succeed at either they'll have triggered the monitored alarm system. Upon entering there may be additional canines to greet them. If they still persist there's not much of value for them anyway. If I happen to be home then they'll likely die trying to steal stuff of not much value. Either way the LEOs will arrive late as usual.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Door Wedge

I like this style of unit. Cheap enough to buy one for every entrance to the house, or just for the bedroom. Blocks the door and sets off an alarm when anyone tries to enter. And you can take it with you when you travel - works great for hotels.

The guy breaking in downstairs and stealing my tv doesn't scare me. Lock the door, call the cops; I've got insurance. It's the guy that is standing in my room when I wake up, holding the gun I thought was 'accessible but secure' in the nightstand that scares me.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have yard signs for a high end security system, but no system. Previous owner did it, may be a good deterrent.

The signs are a bit beat up though, and I can't get new ones except from the company, who would likely not do so if I'm not a subscriber! Cheapo companies' signs show up on fleabay all the time.

I do have a 1949 house. Heavy doors, with the old style entry locks. They require a large square hole in the door, and have two deadbolts besides the knob locking.

Plus, I'm in a subdivision with a lot of nosy retirees. With my wife and mine's work schedules overlapping, the house is only vacant three hours a day, in daylight hours.

Three small furry barkers in the house at night, too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just had a new front entry steel door installed that cost me $2000.00, due to the high (very close to me) summer daytime burglaries in my suburban neighborhood. They never miss a summer, ******* burglars. Solid doors elsewhere with good dead bolts and at night my two friends, Smith and Wesson are close by. The Ruger boys are locked up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts