Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about putting a Burris Fastfire III on my new Mini. Does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or insights on this. I'm gettin' too old for iron sites. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sandog, a member here has a few of them and has had good results. There an awsome sight for the Mini and will take the pounding of the Garand style action, they can be pretty violent. Bushnell makes a great red dot , its the TRS 25 , I have 2 of them and they are great. I guess your mounting system will come into play depending on what series mini you own , and the first 3 numbers of the serial # will tell that. Good luck, someone will chime in soon.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a Burris Fastfire III on my new Mini. Does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or insights on this. I'm gettin' too old for iron sites. Thanks.
i have one on my mini 14 tactical. i have only used it twice, but i like it better than virtually every other red dot i have tried (exception being a holo like eotech, but $$$ :eek:...and imo eotech looks a bit silly on a mini anyways).

the size is perfect and they are very user friendly with quick acquisition. there are also quite a few good mounting options. i (so far) would recommend the burris FF 3. great fit for the mini imo.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I think they are perfect for the Mini. Tiny, almost no weight and good battery life. My eyes are getting worse, and i have a hard time with an EoTech, the reticle looks fuzzy to me. But the FF III dot is nice and crisp. I first mounted the FF III onto the front Ranch scope base scallop with a Burris #410332 mount. It clamps right on the the scope base and is mostly out of the way of the bolt and action. But it seemed a bit high and exposed, so I went with the Burris Picatinny Protector mount (#410330) mounted out on an Ultimak rail. The mount protects the FF III with metal wings like the iron sights, and clamps to a Picatinny rail like the Ultimak, or one that's over the action like the GG&G or the factory supplied Ruger rail. It sits nice and low out on the Ultimak, nothing gets an optic, either a red dot or scope, down nice and low like the forward mount, and nothing in the way of your action.

·
Registered
488 Posts
HOW new is your mini? if it is one of the newer drilled & tapped models that comes with the new rail.....the burris FF fits this set up very well. i just mounted my FF directly on the new rail and it works great. bolt removal is easy for cleaning and it sits nice and low imo. there are even QD mounts that work with this set up (sell ya one i don't use, if you want? :p)

if your mini isn't that new, then sandog offered some great options for mounting imo.

here is my tactical set up with the new factory rail and burris FF.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm lookin' to put the site on my new 583 series Mini but I also have a 186 series that will need one too. GG&G has a site and rail combo on sale for about $280 but if the site will fit the rail that came with the gun it should be cheaper. Thanks, fellers.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm lookin' to put the site on my new 583 series Mini but I also have a 186 series that will need one too. GG&G has a site and rail combo on sale for about $280 but if the site will fit the rail that came with the gun it should be cheaper. Thanks, fellers.
the gun pictured in my above post is a 583 tactical (with an added wood stock). the burris FF will fit well onto the provided rail. i used the mount provided with the FF, which was low and solid.

just make sure whatever set up you use will allow easy bolt removal or is QD. on your 186 i think the scope mount sanddog recommended would be the most cost effective. the scout rail looks like a great set up as well, but will cost a bit more.

i think you'll like the burris FF myself. good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
It was supplied with the sight...I have one mounted on my Mark III pistol as well...or are you referring to the side protection mount?

·
"The Real Deal"
8,045 Posts
I had one on my mini 14 as well, worked good on the gg&g mount, but I ended up swapping it out for a strikefire II, it fit my purooses better. Its a good option.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The hood supplied with the Fastfire is just a plastic sunshade, wouldn't be much for protection from a hard blow like the winged Picatinny Protector mount would.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had one on my mini 14 as well, worked good on the gg&g mount, but I ended up swapping it out for a strikefire II, it fit my purooses better. Its a good option.

Can the GG&G rail be removed and then replaced without loosing your zero?

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my experience, If you loosen only one set of screws, left side for instance, it will be pretty close to zero when you reinstall. I mostly shoot mine @ 75 yds., and it has always been O.K. removal.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,045 Posts
Can the GG&G rail be removed and then replaced without loosing your zero?
I never tried it, but if you use lets say a fat wrench, and you torque the mounting bolt the same every time, it should be dead on. I have done that with scopes from a 3x9x40 tl 4 x16 x50 with repeatable results, no point of impact change. I am guessing you are thinking of removing it for cleaning right? If you only remove the fastfire with a 1913 mount, thats 1 screw, if you use the gg&g specific mount, thats 2 screws, no big problems. However if I removed the rail or mount from the receiver, that has 4 screws, and it can easily be misaligned, and cause a poi shift. Just my experience. Here is the gg&g fastfire specific mount, also great, have one as well.

The mini red dot model is the below picture on this link, the upper picture rail I run on my mini's with a strikefire.

Ruger Mini 14 Accessories | Ruger Mini 14 Scope Mounts for Ranch Rifles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts