Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody seen the new Bushnell 6500 rifle scopes yet?

Holy cow! You can get them in either a 2.5-16x42 or a 4.5-30x50. Talk about versatility. I can’t imagine the scope on brush gun could also be used on a varmint rifle. I don’t know how good the glass quality will compare to other high end scopes, but this is defiantly something new in a very flooded market of 3-9’s.

Here’s a link to the site.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0054559712993a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=bushnell+6500&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=bushnell+6500&noImage=0

·
Registered
505 Posts
Your link doesn't work :O

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I looked at them with interest as well
Probably is a great scope, I see 2 problems.
1 your paying a Leupold price but will have a hard time getting money out of that scope if you decide to sell
2 I am thinking Bushnell is owned by the same company that owns Simmons, NO customer service or repair.!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at them with interest as well
Probably is a great scope, I see 2 problems.
1 your paying a Leupold price but will have a hard time getting money out of that scope if you decide to sell
2 I am thinking Bushnell is owned by the same company that owns Simmons, NO customer service or repair.!!!

I had to send a cheap Banner series scope back to Bushnell, and found the customer service to be fine. They took care of the problem, and sent the scope back under 3 weeks. I couldn't ask for a whole lot better.

As far as not getting the money back out of the scope, I bet your right on that one!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,411 Posts
The announcement of the new Bushnell 6500 series was a huge leap for optics. Up until recently, a 3:1 zoom ratio was normal and a 4:1 zoom ratio was only available in the high $$$ scopes. Now Bushnell has broken the barrier and can cram a zoom range of 6.5:1 in a scope. I haven't studied all the other parameters but it looks like Bushnell really beat the other manufacturers to the punch. All that technology comes at a price .... $700-$900 is a lot for any scope, no matter what the zoom ratio is.

For deer sized game, they figure 1X per 25 yards. Considering most hunting cartridges limits max clean kill range to about 225-250 yds, a 3-9X will give you a usable range of 75 to 225 yards ... about optimum. The New Bushnell Elite 6500 with a 2.5 - 16X will give you 62.5 yds to 400 yds ... way beyond the effective range of most rifles. The 4.5-30X would be great for varmints where more magnification is nice. You can see your heart beat in a 10X scope so I would imagine a 30X would have a really bad "wiggle factor". Also, trying to find a distant target when the field of view is so narrow would be a real trick.

My opinion .... buy a quality scope where the magnification matches the maximum range of the gun then use that extra money for more shooting goodies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts