Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i reviewed a number of posts on Ruger Forum and couple of other sites on red dot TRS 25 and Burris FastfireII to mount on my new MKIII 22/45 Target. I decided to go with the TRS 25 because of the positive reviews and cost. In any case, when it came in I decided to try the red dot scope on my Walther HK Mk5 A5, a real fun .22 and a possible shooter for the carbine match at my local club.

So, I go to the range today after placing the scope in the rail I've had mounted a couple of weeks ago. But, forgot my laser bore slighter. Oh well, I'll at least try to get on paper at 25 yds. This may be a test of patience and I was prepared to pack up and go home if I couldn't get on paper. To my astonishment, the scope/rifle was hitting in the diamond on a 100yd rifle sight in target. Dang! I adjusted the red dot brightness and after a while even with my starburst vision and cataracts was hitting within 2 1/2 inches at 25yds. The scope came up easily, and the red dot quickly visible. I was impressed, not necessarily with my shooting, but how the scope did not move out of adjustment.

It looks like I'll have to order another for my MKIII.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I have one on my MKIII Target model and I think it is a great value for the money. It is small and doesn't overpower the pistol in size. My only complaint would be that the brightness control is very stiff and a bit hard to turn.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one on my MKIII Target model and I think it is a great value for the money. It is small and doesn't overpower the pistol in size. My only complaint would be that the brightness control is very stiff and a bit hard to turn.
I still have an Action Arms Mark V red dot scope formerly on my MKII 6 7/8 barrel I use to shoot falling plates. And the TRS 25 is a feather weight by comparison. I also have an EoTech 512 I removed from my AR, but it was obviously too heavy for the MK or HK. My brightness seems to be OK.

·
Registered
196 Posts
my recently acquired TRS-25 on my 22/45 seems to be very slow to "warm up" when I turn it on, and after I set it down between magazines. It is me, a weak battery, or is this the way the thing is supposed to work? Thanks

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I just ordered one yesterday...got for weight reduction from 2-7x28 scope and hoping that it will bridge the gap between iron sights only good with my eyes for small targets out to 100' and the nice but heavier scope that gets to 330'...hoping I can hit small targets easily at 200' and maybe to 250' and maybe stay in a 3" group at 100 yards...

Consistently hitting soda cans easily at 100 yards with the dot would be good enough for an ultra-light plinker 10/22...

Wondering what people say about the range/accuracy off the TRS-25 on a 10/22... and/or bolt action 22...my gun will do typically 1.75"-2.5" groups at 100 yards in good conditions (lighting, wind, temperature, ammo and my comfort from a solid rest with a 2-7x28 scope)...so that is within the theoretical 3moa dot...

Question is theory vs reality...

I got notice it isn't going to get here for another TWO WEEKS...otherwise I would just get it and try it and find out for myself... :mad:

Also wondering if it can stand up to sks (with muzzle brake) recoil...

Also hoping it is a good working one... :)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I was going to ask your opinion of these being that you are the resident red dot expert and have tried them all...but wanted to get one ordered while I could for $82 shipped...

Glad to see you approve of them... :D
Thanks. Red dots have come a long way since the old Tasco Propoints and their big tubes and their two batteries needed. The truly compact models such as the TRS-25 are a great solution for old eyes, both on rifles and pistols, but especially pistols because they don't destroy the handling and balance of the pistol. For instance, just put a TRS-25 on a vintage Contender with a 22LR octagonal barrel that I want to use for offhand shooting. Everyone thinks "riflettes" when they think of Contenders, but those early octagonal barrel Contenders had a wonderful feel and balance, much akin to a fine dueling pistol. Sweet, sweet guns.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For instance, just put a TRS-25 on a vintage Contender with a 22LR octagonal barrel that I want to use for offhand shooting. Everyone thinks "riflettes" when they think of Contenders, but those early octagonal barrel Contenders had a wonderful feel and balance, much akin to a fine dueling pistol. Sweet, sweet guns.
NCG, you just mentioned a firearm I regret ever selling. I had a T/C Contender years ago, bought used, with the most fantastic trigger I ever pulled. I've never, never, ever shot a firearm that easy to shoot after trading it. I had the .22lr barrel w/a 2x fine cross-hair scope and shot Metallic Silhouette 25, 25, 75, 100. Back then I wasn't a shaky as now and if I did my part I could take a few pins for my cap. Thinking about the fine scopes today, I can almost imagine a little red dancing out there on a Turkey or Pig at 75 and 100 yds.

I also had a .222 barrel with the same scope for the Contender that I used for Turkey Hunting. But that's another story.

Also, the advantages of multiple interchangeable barrels for a pistol. Ah, yes!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
NCG, you just mentioned a firearm I regret ever selling. I had a T/C Contender years ago, bought used, with the most fantastic trigger I ever pulled. I've never, never, ever shot a firearm that easy to shoot after trading it. I had the .22lr barrel w/a 2x fine cross-hair scope and shot Metallic Silhouette 25, 25, 75, 100. Back then I wasn't a shaky as now and if I did my part I could take a few pins for my cap. Thinking about the fine scopes today, I can almost imagine a little red dancing out there on a Turkey or Pig at 75 and 100 yds.

I also had a .222 barrel with the same scope for the Contender that I used for Turkey Hunting. But that's another story.

Also, the advantages of multiple interchangeable barrels for a pistol. Ah, yes!
The Contender is my alter ego, do to speak, with my Rugers. You're right, of course, about Contenders, their triggers and being easy to shoot. For instance, I keep one frame setup strictly for benchwork with a trigger that is perfectly safe for that work, but that will break just by thinking, "shoot". I have other frames that I set with heavier triggers for field work, hunting or whatever, but all are superb. In fact, it is hard to switch back and forth between my Contenders and other guns when I'm at the range due to the huge difference in triggers. Worth it, though, when you have a pistol that can group better than most rifles at 100 yards with the right barrels and loads. Contenders have their quirks, but I'd be lost without mine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I love my TRS-25 on my Mark III 22/45 Lite. I'm very happy with how
it works for me at 25 yards.

Eventually you may want a holster for your pistol/red dot combination.

The only readily available holster that I found was a Black Max HMK.

This photo was taken right after I got it. I now have the low ride belt loop on it.

Works fine with or without the TRS-25, and with or without muzzle attachments.

I've seen comments in other places that it wouldn't work with a suppressor.

As long as the suppressor is not bigger than the gun, it works fine.

Duane

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Got it...used it on my 10/22...like it...better overall than the peep sights...does NOT substitute for 2-7x28 scope...as one would expect...

Previously I swapped back and forth from peep/post to scope but now going to swap back/forth scope/red dot...

Seems like a good product so far...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I love my TRS-25 on my Mark III 22/45 Lite. I'm very happy with how
it works for me at 25 yards.

Eventually you may want a holster for your pistol/red dot combination.

The only readily available holster that I found was a Black Max HMK.

This photo was taken right after I got it. I now have the low ride belt loop on it.

Works fine with or without the TRS-25, and with or without muzzle attachments.

I've seen comments in other places that it wouldn't work with a suppressor.

As long as the suppressor is not bigger than the gun, it works fine.

Duane
What did you have to do to mount that red dot to that pistol...???

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What did you have to do to mount that red dot to that pistol...???
My TRS-25 just mounts on the accessory rail that came with my MKIII's

·
Registered
223 Posts
loctite blue

be SURE to use blue loctite when mounting your rail, it WILL SHOOT LOOSE if you dont, this is from experience on my LITE. also do the front sight screw so it doesnt fall out and get lost!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
be SURE to use blue loctite when mounting your rail, it WILL SHOOT LOOSE if you dont, this is from experience on my LITE. also do the front sight screw so it doesnt fall out and get lost!
+1 on that. When I got my first MK, I didn't use loctite and the rail would loosen after every 50 rds or so. Beware: When you blue loctite those rail screws, use only a tiny amount and be very careful that it doesn't migrate down onto the top of the bolt. 1 of those 3 holes goes all the way through the receiver. Some remove the bolt before installing the rail. I have heard of this being an issue with some. I had no problems and didn't remove the bolt, but I used the locker very sparingly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
LocTite RED

Um, I used Blue LocTite on mine, and it shot loose pretty quickly.

So did the front sight screw.

Ruger's manual said to use RED LocTite to mount the sight rail. I didn't have any RED, so I used Blue. Mistake on my part. I didn't follow directions.

I cleaned it up, and then used RED LocTite, for both the sight rail and the front sight.

Both are still secure after about 2,500 rounds now.

Duane

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like WvDave said, I used the Ruger supplied sight rail. (Mount it with RED Lock Tite).

The TRS-25 attaches with a single allen head clamp screw. It takes about 1/2 a minute to put it on, or take it off.

My experience has been, once sighted, I can take it off, put it back on, and it's still on target.

Duane

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I am pretty impressed with the 3moa dot size even at 100yards...only used about level 9 intensity at high noon on a clear day in the middle of the desert...used level 6 intensity at 50 yards...

Since this is my first red dot I didn't want to get a cheap one but didn't want to spend big bucks for best on the first round...

However, I can see where I might invest in an ultradot with "target" elevation knob...

Two things I wish it had... target knobs... and I would prefer it to be a 1" tube mounted with the same rings I use for my scope...

Eye level on mine is identical to the scope mounted with Weaver low rings so that is nice but it would be great to be able to on/off w/o the allen wrench...

The ultradot that has all that is 3 times the cost...this one is good enough for me to learn on for sure...glad I got it... :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts