Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three weeks ago between 6:30 PM Sunday night and 7 AM Monday morning my shop was broken in to and some cash stolen out of my office. I've owned this business for 23 years and this was the first time it had been broken in to. They pried open a window in the back facing the alley. That prompted me to get some sort of security camera to try out. Didn't have a lot of money to spend so I got on Amazon and searched, found an Amcrest Wifi camera less than a hundred bucks and bought it, had it installed up and running 4 days after the break in.

It's kind of a cool camera, but I didn't know how well it'd work, so just wanted to play with it awhile before adding any more cameras or an NVR. As it is, I get motion detection emails after hours with and attached photo. Quite often I get a photo of nothing but an empty office, I suspect its headlights changing the lighting on the wall coming from the passing street. Last night I'd got in from Coyote hunting about 10:00pm and set in my chair and got on my laptop. Had about 4 notifications that were nothing but an empty office, delete as usual. I was actually browsing ARFCOM and got another notification, don't usually check them right away but this time I did and this is what I received.

At this point I was more excited than I was Coyote hunting. Dialed 911 to report the burglary in process and stayed on the line as the police arrived, which they did in about three minutes and had the front and back covered. The kids put their hands up apparently and the police kick in the front door to apprehend them as I was on my way to the shop. One of them is 18 and in Jail at the moment, the other is a Juvi and in the detention center. The older boy is my oldest boys sons age and had gone to school with him, but my son hadn't seen him since middle school, so suspect he dropped out. I'd never seen either before.

They made entry by trying to pry all the windows in the alley open, but they couldn't as I had screwed them all shut, which in itself pisses me off as I open them in the summer time for air circulation (it's a collision repair shop). They then pried my new rear entrance door open (no deadbolt). I really hope they tie them to the first break-in so I can tack the stolen cash on to these two. Who know how long, if or when I'd ever see any compensation....

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Sorry about the break ins but glad you caught these scumbags in training.

With all the other costs to small businesses it is a shame you have to tack this kind of stuff on to that load.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
That's a pretty darn good picture for a surveillance camera. I hate it when they show a blob followed by another blob. I mean why even turn it on?

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Glad the bad guys got caught.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Good one mate you should invest in the camera with the mounted tazer:D

Thewelshm

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Even those a bit reluctant to accept modern technology have to admit this is pretty cool. Catching them in the act when otherwise they might have made a clean get away.
Good on you for installing the camera... and checking the notification ;):D

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
GLAD you nailed em. Thats great. :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They'll be in jail until at least Thursday, that's the day each go before a judge who will determine if they are to be released or remain in custody. Apparently the PD has already filed the charges.

I wonder if they think it was such as good idea at this point?

And from what few people I talked to that knew of the 18 yo said he's a chip off the ol block and his dad is pretty much the same way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really think special considerations for "juveniles" should no longer exist when they began to commit felonies.
Better yet, let the parents "do the time". Oh wait !.... I believe PARENT has a totally different meaning from what we are seeing a great deal of today.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Is that the 720 or the 1080 version?
Good crisp image.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Man, I love to see the bad guys busted. Just goes to prove you can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is that the 720 or the 1080 version?
Good crisp image.

:cool:
It's the Amcrest ProHD 1080P. In the photo you can see the little office light shinning through, once they turn the out, the photos get much better. And daytime color video is excellent. Pretty amazing what they can pack in such a small package these days.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Nice! Always happy to see the bad guys lose. I had an AT&T Digital Life system installed at my home with 6 cameras. At first I thought it was overkill. I haven't had any problems but have seen some interesting things, I would have never imaged.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Cheap or not, a good image is worth the price. Two LGSs were broken into not too long ago one had a good image and ID'd the thief the other didn't and though they could see what was going on there was no ID.

Glad you got the punks.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a little update.

The adult is still in jail, no court appearance yet. The Juvi is new to the community, moved here from Texas. His mom died when he was younger, his dad is in prison. He already has a record (multiple) in Texas, dating back to when he was 13, he'll be 18 in May. He's being released OR.... He is living with his grandmother and Aunt, not attending school because they aren't his legal guardian and can't enroll him. There is a chance they will offer a diversion. Are you kidding me?

The adult has no known record, and has lived here quite some time.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I think it is great when a purchase provides quick rewards! Sorry you had to suffer a loss in the first place, but you prevailed.

·
Super Moderator
21,682 Posts
Wonder when he moved there relative to the first break in. Maybe question the cops and put a bug in their ear. He may be the instigator. Maybe the cops could get the older one to roll on the younger one on the first break in which may change their minds on just diversion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts