Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have two butler creek 25 round mags, bought brand new a few months ago, and I’ve only used them twice.

I keep having issues with the first 6 or 7 rounds in each mag. It will load and fore the first round, and either won’t pick up the second round, or it will pop straight up and get jammed between the bolt and front of the receiver.

Basically, fire one round, drop mag, clear jam, fire 3rd round, drop mag and clear jam, fire 5th round, drop mag clear jam, then rounds 7-25 are fine. Once in a while it Fire round one and not pick up 2, rack the slide, fire round 2 it won’t pick up 3, and so on.

I am about ready to sell them and only stick with Ruger mags, but wanted to ask if there are any tips, or will they get better with time?
They’re the hot lips plastic feed ramp mags, and I tried them in two different 10/22’s both with stock bolts and stock recoil springs.

sometimes pushing the bottom of the mag forward helps, sometimes it didn’t. I believe I was shooting mini mag round nose jacketed in my last range trip

·
Registered
114 Posts
I only use steel lips, chucked the plastic in the circular file

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,679 Posts
Stick with Ruger magazines. The Butler Creek won't get better. Try loading 18 rounds and maybe you can fire the whole magazine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stick with Ruger magazines. The Butler Creek won't get better. Try loading 18 rounds and maybe you can fire the whole magazine.
Thats exactly what I found... Maybe I will just sell the Butler creeks. Seems a waste to only load 18 rds

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I don't know, 18 is still more than 10. If they work and you can get some use out of them, isn't that worth more than whatever you will get selling them?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’ve only had one Butler Creek mag but I was not at all happy with it. I would stick with the Ruger mags as well!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I would ditch them and stick with Ruger mags I don't know how many times I've heard/read about the poor performance of off brand after market mags in Ruger firearms. They just can't seem to get it right. Heck, a lot of folks even have problems with the Ruger 25 round magazines.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been using a MagLula to load aftermarket mags as well as the Ruger mags and have experienced very few jams. The MagLula seams to hit the correct spot on round while loading and the rounds get loaded the same way every time. When ever I loaded
the aftermarket mags by hand I got jams
I agree with "stick to Ruger mags" They are made so much better and you can take them apart to clean them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah I think I am gonna try to sell them to someone and stick with ruger stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts