Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a big shotgunner, but bought a neat little Mossberg .410 pump last year. Since the shells are expensive, I keep my eyes open for good prices.

When I saw that Walmart had 2 1/2" .410 for $7.97 a box I grabbed the last two they had. Seemed like a good price for practice ammo.

I just put them in my ammo locker and noticed that they were 20 round boxes, not 25 rounders as I assumed.

Again, I don't buy a lot of shotgun ammo, but aren't/weren't shotgun shells normally sold in 25 round boxes (except for slugs, etc.)?

Not the deal I thought I got. I'd better pay closer attention.

Sort of like ice cream; the 1/2 gallon tub went from 2 quarts, to 1.75 quarts, then to 1.5 quarts without changing the package.

FYI ...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like you bought the 20rds of 000 buckshot Federal made for the Judge as defense ammo. Thats the only 20rd box for the .410.

However, the only .410 ammo I ever bought at Walmart were the 25rd boxes of 2.5" slugs.

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
I'm not a big shotgunner, but bought a neat little Mossberg .410 pump last year. Since the shells are expensive, I keep my eyes open for good prices.

When I saw that Walmart had 2 1/2" .410 for $7.97 a box I grabbed the last two they had. Seemed like a good price for practice ammo.

I just put them in my ammo locker and noticed that they were 20 round boxes, not 25 rounders as I assumed.

Again, I don't buy a lot of shotgun ammo, but aren't/weren't shotgun shells normally sold in 25 round boxes (except for slugs, etc.)?

Not the deal I thought I got. I'd better pay closer attention.

Sort of like ice cream; the 1/2 gallon tub went from 2 quarts, to 1.75 quarts, then to 1.5 quarts without changing the package.

FYI ...

Don't know about 410, but walmart and dunhams both routinely have 100 round packages of 12 and 20 gauge #7 1/2 or #8 bird shot for under 25 bucks. last time at wally world the 20 gauge was going for 20 and change, but I was gunning for all 6 boxes I was allowed in 9mm federal.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Don't know about 410, but walmart and dunhams both routinely have 100 round packages of 12 and 20 gauge #7 1/2 or #8 bird shot for under 25 bucks. last time at wally world the 20 gauge was going for 20 and change, but I was gunning for all 6 boxes I was allowed in 9mm federal.
I got 1 Federal in 12ga and 1 Federal in 20ga. Plenty of target/small game ammo for VERY cheap.

If you dont like want that .410 pump anymore, I'm in the market for one. I just need to get to the range and shoot the guns I already have. (Saiga 12, Mav 88 12ga and NEF .410)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The type of ammo I bought was Remington Game Load, #6 shot, 2 1/2" 1/2 oz. shot. Pretty basic stuff. Again, I assumed this type of shell came in 25 rd. boxes. Guess that explains the price.

I love the gun, just need to shoot it more. I'll be more careful in the future about what I'm getting for the price.

This answers the question of what will happen when the "ammo crisis" is over; the prices might go down, but so might the quality and amount.

The Winchester stuff was $1 more and looked to be in 20 rd. boxes as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
After I first read this thread, I went and checked the only box of birdshot I have in .410. I had 25rds in my box.

But, I paid $15 for 25rds of 3" #4 shot 11/16oz I believe. Had my worrying a little bit. Normally, I'd just buy 12/20ga if I wanted to shoot target loads.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After I first read this thread, I went and checked the only box of birdshot I have in .410. I had 25rds in my box.

But, I paid $15 for 25rds of 3" #4 shot 11/16oz I believe. Had my worrying a little bit. Normally, I'd just buy 12/20ga if I wanted to shoot target loads.
Sorry about that.

I scared myself, too. A couple months ago a bought two inexpensive boxes of 28 ga. for my Red Label (actually mismarked but she gave me the good price). Had to head back to the cabinet to check those. Both, same brand, were 25 round boxes.

My buddy who's a big shotgunner bought a half-dozen boxes of 12 ga. sport loads at a garage sale which turned out to be 20 rounders.

I don't mean to whine - just have to be more careful I guess. Still, it somehow seems a bit underhanded to change a long established marketing standard. Coors certainly goes out of their way to let you know when you're getting 30 beers instead of 24.

Thanks for listening ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
the remington box of 410 shells have always been 20 round boxes. however the winchester has a game load with 25 in a white box thats only 8 dollars or so. its not a rip off its just how they sell it. its a very good round i have shot boxes after boxes with flawless patters. i enjoy trap shooting with the remington rounds but is a little pricy at 7$ for 20 rds, maybe you should look into the winchester rounds, for a dollar more you get 5 more rounds. dont get them if you plan to reload, the winchester rounds are a one time thing they are not made for reloading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.