Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum, so a big HELLO to you all :)

I'm looking for my first 10 22 in the UK, and want to get into practical shooting, (run & gun / multipal targets & timed). So, 25 rd mags, red dot and probably a Tapco stock are in store for this rifle.

I could save myself over £150 (approx $250) by buying a second hand 10 22rifle, but will I possibly just be buying myself problems? How would I know a good 2nd hand rifle from a bad one?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Paul

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hi Paul - Welcome to the forum from Florida, USA. I buy mostly second hand guns to save money, as you pointed out. I inspect visually, work the action and use a small LED light to examine the bore. If possible try to shoot it but I realize that rarely works out. If buying from a gun shop try to get some kind of guarantee you can bring it back for repair or replacement if there turns out to be issues with performance and the gun was sold as being in good working order.

Used guns are good values. Most people do not have the time and money to shoot their guns very much (myself included) so if the rifle appears in very good condition it probably is. 10/22s are well supported with availability of parts and gunsmiths who can work on them if you are not so inclined to work on them yourself.

Good luck!

Wave

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
I have only bought two second hand and only because I knew their entire history.
If it's in good nick and well priced, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If the 10/22 has a good visual appearance and all factory assembly do not be afraid of a used 10/22. I understand your position being located in the UK. We Americans are spoiled having easy access to the factory for repair and unlimited accessories just a credit card away.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Welcome Paul to the forum from sin city (Las Vegas). We have realatives in Bolton and Ramsbottom. 10/22's are great guns. Give it a good look and should be fine. I don't know about the UK but there ae tons of after market parts for it. But I know the gun laws over there are very strict. Hope it works out for you over here a new 10/22 would about $250 dollars depending on the model. Hang around this is a great forum with great people who are always looking to help one another. Lots to be learned here. ps Paul there's a section on just 10/22's on the forum
George

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, USA.

Waveform's advice is spot on. If the gun appears to be in good shape, it's probably a safe buy. Takes a lot to shoot out a 10/22 and even if you do manage that unlikely feat, there isn't a part that can't be easily replaced.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania,If your somewhat knowledgeable about firearms you can do extremely well as used guns are most often sold to get money,or trade for something different,I my self have had issue with guns but instead of selling my problem to another,I send the gun to MFG for repairs and then sell at a loss to dealers only,wish the small percentage of gun problems would be resolved this way,and congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

I was thinking of getting a stainless carrbine to ensure long term reliability, but by the sound of it even the blued barrels are good for decades.

This really opens up the field to a huge cost saving for me, which I can put towards the aftermarket bits I'm after.

Thanks again

Paul

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome from Virginia. Enjoy the forum. Agree with above comments. Check it out. If a problem that you can bring back. My mark III Hunter was used and no problems. Great gun. Can find some good buys used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts