Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there I was, minding my own business, scraping and painting window trim on my house, when it happened. There is an unmistakeable sound that WW2 era aircraft produce from those giant radial engines. Every time those old warbirds approach from a distance, it raises the remaining hairs on the back of my neck. The only other aircraft that elicits a similar hair raising response is the UH-1H.

There is an airshow in NYC this weekend where Panchito, a WW2 era B-25 bomber, is participating in the event. I suspect it was running back and forth between the Statue of Liberty and nearby airport to refuel. The show also featured f-16's and F-22's but they are just boring fighter jets (unless you are an enemy of the USA) and their engines tend to blend in with the din of NJ skies.

Here's a snappy of Panchito (I did not take it, it's a stock photo). Seeing this living piece of history twice in one day was a real treat. They were just doing some practice runs yesterday, so I'm looking forward to some more flyovers today.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You are right about the distinctive sound. I will never forget the sound when a B-29 flew over my house, going to an airshow, back in 1985. It was on it's approach to land, so was about 2-3,000 feet up. What a sound, I can still hear it in my mind.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang it! I just heard the old warbird fly over while I was inside. That's what I get for slacking off my chores. :(

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Those planes do have a very distinctive sound. Earlier this year I was walking back to my truck in a parking lot near our municipal airport and this old warbird was coming in for a landing. Dug out my cellphone as fast as I could and snapped this photo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guess I feel lucky here in Dayton annual airshow features numerous warbirds every year. Best time is as they practice and yes, the distinctive sound of a Pratt & Whitney Radial or a Packard Merlin V12 is AWESOME!

looking at these 70+ year old planes parked on ramp is fun, but seeing them where they belong (in the air) is even better. Hopefully most will be continue to be preserved and pampered as I sure hope future generations will get to experience the gut pounding thrill some of these beasts provide.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I'm old enough to recall the old warbirds flying in and out of Lowry Field in Denver in the 40's and 50's...most impressive engine sounds I ever heard from a piston aircraft was the first time I ever heard a B36 with that deep, throbbing drone sound...man that was impressive.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I came upon an air show while coming in from a day of offshore fishing. I believe they were Air Force Pilots (Thunderbirds?). Anyway, while still 10 mi out we could see the jets coming down the whole beach and then climbing at an unfathomable rate. I was not bored seeing those jets lol. I bet our position allowed for some views those on land could not get.

Edit: Thanks for sharing those pics guys.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Driving to Cape May last Wed. around AC a F16 flew over head about 600 feet above us.
It could have come from the Air National Guard Base in AC. Funny thing we didn't hear coming or going. Most likely for the NYC Air Show. Pretty sure it was a F16 although haven't seen one that close since it was making Napalm runs in Never Never Land.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I saw Panchito a few times. Really cool. I wanted to go for a ride, but could only afford a three inch patch. The patch rides in my truck for free.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm lucky, I live about 5 miles from where the MO Wing of the Confederate Air Force houses their planes. Most people don't give them a second look. I have to stand, salute, and try to keep my eyes from getting wet.

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
I'm lucky, I live about 5 miles from where the MO Wing of the Confederate Air Force houses their planes. Most people don't give them a second look. I have to stand, salute, and try to keep my eyes from getting wet.
I'm afraid if I lived that close to those birds I would end up nesting on the airport and my shooting hobby would fall by the wayside.

We have a B-17 that resides at Falcon Field in Meas, AZ. Every once in a while they take her up with paying passengers. After finding out the price, I decided I will have to keep that experience as a dream....

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those SOBs flew over right while we were eating dinner. Grrrr.... I missed them again. :(

The fee to take a ride on Panchito is $425- Tempting since the ride is probably at least a couple hours long, just guessing the ride lasts the duration between refueling, but I'm saving to complete a rifle project. Sigh....

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Very cool indeed. last week several old Bi planes flew over my house in central PA headed east. And I did hear a big war plane drone by also heading east. but he was too far off to make out the exact model. But that drone made by the radial engines is very distinctive.

I get Apache's about every other day. Kinda boring to look at unless your on the receiving end. :) Or close enough to see the receiving end. :eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
get to see and hear this pair a few times each summer on their way to airshows, like it's been said, no mistaking the sound.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You are right about the distinctive sound. I will never forget the sound when a B-29 flew over my house, going to an airshow, back in 1985. It was on it's approach to land, so was about 2-3,000 feet up. What a sound, I can still hear it in my mind.
That would be "Fifi" She is the last flying example. How sad, but they say that lack of 130/ 145 aviation gasoline, and other operating costs, has limited what they can even do with it. It has been home-ported here for a great number of years. They had a big CAF-sponsored AirSho here over the weekend. They said that Fifi was elsewhere because other shows were willing to pay more for her presence! Free-market capitalism. They replaced all four engines (Wright R-3350) at a million dollars a piece, just a few short years ago. Operating costs have been tagged at $6,000 per flight-hour. I IS a wonderful sound, flying over !

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, unfortunately I was not able to see Panchito fly over again after the initial two sightings. We heard it a few times, (during dinner, while I was on the can, reading RF.net :D ) ran outside, but by the time we got to the open area in our yard, the warbird was already in the distant horizon. PANCHITOOOOOOOOOOO..... why do you mock me!?!?

Yesterday at about 1630hrs I did see another large warbird. Can't say for sure what it was, not even sure it was WW2 vintage. Twin engine single rudder and somewhat larger than a B-25. It may have been a B-26 Marauder but I cant confirm that. It's unlikely though because there were no Marauders at the airshow. I'll have to do some more research.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Those planes do have a very distinctive sound. Earlier this year I was walking back to my truck in a parking lot near our municipal airport and this old warbird was coming in for a landing. Dug out my cellphone as fast as I could and snapped this photo.

I get my B-XX planes mixed up - what did I snap a photo of in this picture? They had a couple of old planes at the local municipal airport earlier this year and I don't remember what the sign said by the entrance. I know they were offering flights to those willing to pay the $$.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I get my B-XX planes mixed up - what did I snap a photo of in this picture? They had a couple of old planes at the local municipal airport earlier this year and I don't remember what the sign said by the entrance. I know they were offering flights to those willing to pay the $$.
Looks like a B-17 (B-17G version?)...

I paid for a ride in the EAA B-17 (named "Aluminum Overcast") a few years ago - the experience was worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts