Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may piss off the Glocksters, but here is the original gun that got Gaston's panties all in a wad!!!

SW40F.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glock won a lawsuit recently with S&W. Over the use of Glock patents in the Sigma series design. S&W payed out a large sum to Glock for Patent infringment. Thats why they are changing the Sigmas up with the new M&P's.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In what court would you hold a lawsuit between manuf. from two different countries? Whatever, I'm just glad we haven't been flooded with Chinese copies of all our pistols...they'd probably be recalled with too much lead in them:D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

In what court would you hold a lawsuit between manuf. from two different countries? Whatever, I'm just glad we haven't been flooded with Chinese copies of all our pistols...they'd probably be recalled with too much lead in them:D
might be, but i sure do miss that norinco 1911 they had---that was one good 45.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ummmmmm? Your wrong there ! The first original patent for The Glock pistol was established and registered by Mr. Glock in 1967 for the early version of the Glock 18 Automatic pistol ! That sir, is why Mr. Glock won his lawsuit against smith, they copied several key features of his patented pistol. I do believe the Sigma series was first developed in the early to mid 80's, Hence a copy of the Glock ideal, just like all the others. The reasons listed above are the reason Glock is called " the first polymer pistol, that all others followed". I do believe the original Glock auto's were in use with the Austrian army before the Sigma was ever invented. If you are talking about the copying of the Glock and Gaston's reaction, then wouldn't you be pissed if someone tried to capitalize on your life's work ? I for one, do not find that funny at all !

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Sigmas and not sure how much of this is true, but read from a poster on another forum that the internals on the early Sigmas were very close to those of the Glock. The person said that the early Sigmas had a great feeling trigger pull and that after the lawsuit, S&W had to redesign some internals which gave the later gen Sigmas much heavier trigger pulls. Again, just what I had read so not sure if that person was correct or not.

·
Banned
298 Posts
I have disassembled the two pistols in question. the parts are nearly interchangeable. If you looked into the slides, you can hardly tell one from the other.

But the smith is a whole lot more accurate, at least in my hands. Dad carries one. I cannot stand not having a hammer.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Out of coureosity, just when will a patent expire? For example,just dang near everyone makes a copy of the 1911. And Taurus surely has some of its lockwork like a smith revolver. Will in years to come patents run out and everyone start making a clone of a glock, sig, ruger or whatever?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Depends how long of a patent you apply for. The longer the more costly it becomes. Most people don't buy one past their life expectancy though. The Browning boys usually got 30 to 40 year patents then contracted out companys like colt and springfield to produce their beloved 1911 for the government. So every gun colt or springfield made the Browning boys got a percentage of the profits. Not a bad way to make money if you ask me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts