Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're too kind! :D

Another thing I think this 'mod' does is keep the spring spool pushed completely flush against the follower, instead of moving around laterally inside the magazine.

I'd be interested to see the inside of a newer magazine that doesn't have the problem to see if they did indeed decrease the tolerances.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Little update here...

I went to the range today and shot an entire box of Federal 36gr HP's - the blue 525rd box - using the repaired magazine. That's 21 mags worth. Not a SINGLE issue other than a singular stovepipe but that's not a mag issue.

I intentionally loaded the magazine haphazardly and quickly, seeing if I could induce the problem - nope. Flawless function.

Enjoy guys! :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
buck,

Great fix! I haven't had the problem yet but I'll file this away in case I need it. I have one concern. It looks like you have to make sure the cut end of the .22 case is smooth and flat with no burrs or sharp edges that might cut the axle on the follower. Just something to watch. I also tried to measure the clearance between the spool and the side of the mag. I came up with 1/16" between the mag wall and the spool end on the one mag I measured. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hmm...good point.

Here's some pics. This is after the 21 mag cycle:

As you can see, there is some VERY light wearing on the spool and the face of the follower. Does not appear significant. Also, remember this was after 525rds.

Here's the improved version:

Pretty much won't be a problem in the future. You can see how jagged the first one was...of course that's because I took all of 30 seconds to trim it. This time I went to the trouble of sanding it and deburring the edges with a steel brush tool on my Dremel.

Come to think of it...that's the first time I've used a Dremel in close to a decade.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And just for good measure, here's a picture that clearly shows how much slop there is in my spool and axle...

If nothing else, it's not centered...which could be a contributing factor. :confused:

·
Registered
741 Posts
The improved version looks like there won't be a problem. There was very little wear on the first one but you can't be too careful. The rim of the case fills the extra space between the follower axle and the mag case wall nicely. You have done a VERY good job with this suggestion.

By the way, the photos are great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The improved version looks like there won't be a problem. There was very little wear on the first one but you can't be too careful. The rim of the case fills the extra space between the follower axle and the mag case wall nicely. You have done a VERY good job with this suggestion.

By the way, the photos are great!
:) Thank you!

Ironically enough, I was looking at the photos and thinking they looked crummy compared to the ones I used to take - I essentially sold a camera lens I paid $500 for to buy my first gun. The one I am using now is just a cheapo one that came with the camera (Canon Rebel XTi DSLR)

Funny how stuff works out, right?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks for idea. I'll file that away if I start to have trouble with my BX 25. That's what I love about this forum. people sharing ideas and helping one another. Ps buck22 welcome to the forum some great people here. You can count yourself as one of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the fix on both my BX-25 and got two shot with them a little the other day and out of two full loads apiece I still had the problem 2 or 3 times.
What problem are you having? This will only fix the issue with the follower getting bound up and causing insufficient or improper pressure to be applied. Please ensure the casing is long enough to contact the face of the follower but short enough that it doesn't contact the side of the magazine.

I don't know what to tell ya other than that. It fixed my magazine and I don't think mine is special.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What problem are you having? Please ensure the casing is long enough to contact the face of the follower but short enough that it doesn't contact the side of the magazine.
The nose of the bullet not being at the right angle causing the round to get stuck in the mag.

I used a 22 short case and it seemed to fit perfectly. They felt better loading them and I had high hopes but still had the problem.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Brilliant... :D

Simply identifying the problem and fixing it would have been excellent...

Making the connection that a 22 case would be a perfect fit is absolutely brilliant...

You just motivated me to see if I can drill/tap mine for adjusting screws similar to the TI-25 mag...

I had the problem you fixed once...and only once...and I was sure it was due to the fact that I have a bad habit of not counting rounds and don't quit until a 26th round will not fit...the time I had the problem I attributed it to me forcing all the rounds down with too much pressure...now I am convinced by your findings that was true...in my case the top few rounds returned to a normal angle and fired off but the remaining rounds were jammed in hard and would not come out...each one...down to the last round had to be pried out with a screw driver...

Since then I simply count rounds and have not had it malfunction again...but at the same time I don't use much either...

The bigger drawback for me with bx-25 is the excessive free play when fully seated into the mag well...the amount of slop is ridiculous imo...

For your next task... :D

How about trouble shooting the problem I have with the TI-25...

When manually charging a round it fails to go into battery...

If I lock the bolt open and install the mag and then release the bolt it will go half-way forward...simply pushing it will not work...at that point I have to pull the bolt back slightly and push forward carefully and sometimes the nose of the bullet gets chewed and has to be ejected...

If I install the mag with bolt closed and rack/release in one swift motion it will chamber the bullet but not go completely into battery...at that point simply pushing it completely closed does the job...

It NEVER fails to feed/chamber/100% closed when cycling during firing...

Look forward to a simple fix soon... :D

Today would be soon enough... :D

Yesterday would be better... :D

Going to fix my bx-25 tonight...!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Strange...

I bottom-out my BX-25, by trying to jam in a 26th round, all the time and don't have any of the above issues.

I must have one of the good ones because it's not uncommon for me to go through 300-500 rounds of bulk ammo without a single failure.

Sorry to read some of you guys are having problems.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Buck 22. Thanks for the great tip. Have another question for you. Have you tried your fix with a speed loader like butler creek. Every time I loaded mine with the speed loader, constant jams. When hand loaded, no jams. Could your fix give me the best of both worlds? Speed loading and jam free firing. Just asking.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great Idea,

I took apart my BX25 mags to clean, I noticed they both were very loose, Last time i shot, I had some problems.

I figured it was because it was dirty, or a worn ejector.

I just upgraded my ejector, I did notice that the Red loading ramp inside the BX25 were both very loose, Like the OP picture, they rattled when you shake the mags.

Next time i am at the range I will pick up some 22 brass to introduce to my Dremel tool.

I will use a very light coat high temp lithium Grease inside the new brass bushing, after it is modded and cleaned.

My BX10 does not rattle but different style Mechanism & loader.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts