Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after all my oohing and aahing about the bx 25, and having no problems with mine, i now am having problems--- took the 22TD out to the desert over the weekend, and the 10 round mags worked just fine, but the bx 25 would not cycle. now bear in mind the action on the TD felt 'gritty', even though it had been cleaned and stored. took the TD and the 22 carbine out today, and the TD felt gritty again (in spite of yet another cleaning) AND the TD wouldn't take the bx 25-- couldn't get the bolt to release and cycle a round. 10 rd mags still worked just fine. tried the carbine today since i took it along also, and the 10 rd mags worked just and the bx 25 worked just fine-- for about two rounds...... and then it got hung up, too. wth?? mind you, the bx worked just fine a month ago when i last took both 22s to the range. no change in ammo, both weapons cleaned, and mag lips cleaned. thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Howdy again! Well, this time its on your dime..lol Well, allthough I dont yet own any BX-25 mags, I do have a whack of BC 25 rounder's.. While not the same thing, I do have one useful observation.. in both the wifes 10/22 and my own, we find one day, they run flawless.. another, they might run great in one or the other, or in neither.. it seems almost as if the rifles have moods, where they just dont wanna play with the higher-caps..lol Strangely, the factory 10-rounders have NEVER let us down.. that I just dont understand..lol

I have heard of a fix for feed issues with the BX-25 where some have installed the last 3rd of a shell case in the spring winder inside the mag to fill the gap inside that tends to cause feed issues..

Hope my .02 is somewhat useful, and if not, somewhat amuzing!

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Well, from what you have told us your BX25 is defective. How long have you had it? You may be able to return or exchange it. Otherwise, call Ruger. I would not be surprised if they just send you a new one.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
I own four 10/22s and have gone full circle with High-cap magazines. Many years ago I bought an Eagle ... piece of junk, threw it away. Later I bought a BC-25 with steel lips ... worked OK in two of my 10/22s for a while then started jamming. Even after a good cleaning, it would jam a couple times per loading. Tossed it in the trash too. A few years ago I bought a TI-25 and adjusted it for one of my 10/22s. Works perfect in that gun but won't even fit or cycle in the other three. Recently I bought two Ruger BX-25s and at first they worked OK in my Target 10/22 and my old carbine but wouldn't fit in my other two 10/22s. After a couple range trips, the BX-25s started jamming. Meantime, all my 10 round factory Ruger magazines work perfect in all four of my 10/22s.

My conclusion ... if you want a high-cap that really works, go for the TI-25 and adjust it to your gun. If you have more than one 10/22, likely you will have to buy TI-25s for each of them. The best solution is still the factory 10 round rotary mags that works first time and every time in all 10/22s. All high-cap 10/22 mags are "in-line" and just don't deal well with powder residue plus the springs are very fussy.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
That is a good point regarding the TI...the adjust to fit perfect...may not go in another gun...I only have one...no problem...

I have three ten round mags...they are the best for more reasons than one...

I got one of the things the holds all three together...it's okay but I don't like it...

If you spring for a lever release for the mags...the 10round rotaries load and swap so fast it will make your head spin...and they are the most reliable...one of mine does get rounds stuck that won't come up w/o persuasion...nowhere near the problem of the BX...I think it's the original mag and has seen a lot of rounds...I am going to try cleaning it...but for the $$$ you cannot beat them...and they don't stick out below...most guns with 10round mags can't say that...smooth bottom is very nice IMO...

I don't plan on getting any more high caps...happy with the TI...going to get more factory 10s...

The lever release is VERY cool and I wish I had popped for that first instead of screwing around with the paddle ones...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a good point regarding the TI...the adjust to fit perfect...may not go in another gun...I only have one...no problem...

I have three ten round mags...they are the best for more reasons than one...

I got one of the things the holds all three together...it's okay but I don't like it...
i've actually gotten a few more 10rd mags and the trimag adapter thingy, too, and i like it quite a lot really. i like the lower profile etc. of the trimag setup than the banana mag of the bx 25 and others, but i still want my bx25 to function. i should probably also try to be a little more specific about the problem ( i don't know if my OP made it totally clear or i misstated it-- i was trying to do about three things at once when i typed that). when i put the bx25 in (now either of) my 22, i take the safety off, click the bolt release, but the bolt hangs up on the end of the mag. not even as if it's sliding in properly but misfeeding--no-- it's not even closing to feed a round into the chamber. again, hanging up on the back end of the mag.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Take the barreled action out of the stock...

Install the empty BX-25...

Fiddle with the bolt coming forward and rocking the mag side to side...

See if the bolt hits the back of the feed lips when it comes forward...

Does it cycle okay when firing if the first round it fed in okay...???

If so...it is the way the bolt is being released...

Does it make a difference if you don't lock the bolt back...leave the bolt closed...install the mag...the rack it...

If the only time it won't feed it when you release the bolt from the locked back position it is the play in the bolt plus your release...

This happened a lot to me when I first got the TI...

Now its a broken in...it will always run when firing...(except with blazer ammo)...it will always feed the first round when the bolt is left closed when the mag is installed...it will almost always feed the first round fully into batter now when I release a locked back bolt...

Had it not self corrected I would have sanded the feed lips at the rear beveling the end until the problem stopped...

If you get a TI mag...the adjustment method is to adjust the screws such that it is in rock solid and do so while making sure the bolt misses the lips going forward...

The BX has a ton of slop...so you should be able to force it to one side where it will feed...miss the lips...and force it to the other side where it will hit...

The TI gets adjusted so it fits tight with zero side to side without hitting the bolt...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did you by any chance disassemble the mag? I disassembled mine one time (without really knowing what I was doing) and somehow managed to reassemble it incorrectly. :rolleyes: The rounds weren't "pointing upwards," but were essentially sitting horizontally in the mag. The gun would then fire a shot and then the bolt would get stuck and would not return all the way forward. (stuck halfway)

I used this video, I reassembled it and everything has worked fine since then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnUX0WfcUf8

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went to the range this morning with 2 BX-25. First one worked.
The second hung up every other round(bolt hung up on casing).
Emptied the mag and reloaded w/ 25 rounds.
Started shooting and had no problems.
Reloaded 2x and again no problems.
The only thing I can think is that somehow I loaded
the mag wrong.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I oohed and aahed when I first saw the BX25, but the more I thought about it, the less I wanted it. Yes, they work wonderfully for lots of folks. My objections, though: 1. Expensive. Over $30 in most stores around here. 2. Big. 10 times bigger than the 10 round mags for only 2.5 times the capacity. 3. Big. Standard mag does not stick out at all. BX25 is just asking to get caught on something and break off. 4. Looks. I know lotsa folks like the tacticool look of a banana click, but I don't really care for it on a wood stock 10/22. Looks cool on SR22, I guess. I would have preferred a mag more like on the mini 14.

I ended up buying more 10 round mags. If you get 3 more, and put them with the one you got with hour rifle, you spend less than you would for 2 BX25's, you still have almost as many, they fit in a pocket and are 100% reliable.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more...I have three 10s and now one 25...use the tens a lot...use the 25 some...it's nice to have...but I can load three tens faster/easier than one 25...and they swap out fast too imo...love the flush bottom you get with the 10s...beats all other make/models imo...

The only thing I can add to that is the 10s go from great to unbeatable when you have a lever release instead of flush or paddle release...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't agree with you more...I have three 10s and now one 25...use the tens a lot...use the 25 some...it's nice to have...but I can load three tens faster/easier than one 25...and they swap out fast too imo...love the flush bottom you get with the 10s...beats all other make/models imo...

The only thing I can add to that is the 10s go from great to unbeatable when you have a lever release instead of flush or paddle release...
i agree with you both-- i, too, like the trimag 10rd jobbies better (i don't even mind the small amount of space the trimag setup takes up, because it's SO much less than a banana mag, AND if i'm sitting it's still not touching anything due to the rest and/or my arm), but since i have the 25 i do want to use it. like one of the earlier posts mentioned, i also had it work flawlessly for hundreds of rounds... until now. i've never taken it apart, only cleaned the lips with hoppe's and q-tip. but again, it's not hanging on the round, it's hanging up on the back end of the mag.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
So did you figure out if it was the same problem me and others had with rounds not coming up or was it the bolt hitting the feed lips...

I sorta assumed that if it was the rounds not coming out that would be very obvious when you pull the mag out...they would be stuck in...and as described horizontal instead of pointing up...

Sounded to me like it was the bolt hitting the feed lips...

-------------------------

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So did you figure out if it was the same problem me and others had with rounds not coming up or was it the bolt hitting the feed lips...

I sorta assumed that if it was the rounds not coming out that would be very obvious when you pull the mag out...they would be stuck in...and as described horizontal instead of pointing up...

Sounded to me like it was the bolt hitting the feed lips...

-------------------------
from what i can actually lay eyes on, it doesn't even look like it's hitting the feeding lips per se, it looks more like it's getting hung up on the back plastic end of the mag itself. tried jiggling this way and that but no dice so far.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Take your BX-25 mag apart with the feed lips removed, try to load a round in the feed lips, then hold the red follow up to the round and see if you can see spacing between the diameter of the bullet all the way across the length of the bullet.

In the MFR process extra material can be in this area not allowing Some types of ammo/bullets to pass through this area easily.

If this is the case, either return it to Ruger or Mod time, break out the Dremel tool or a file.

I have some pictures of the offending area that would need to be ground if needed.

IF THIS IS NOT WHAT'S HAPPENING.

If you have scratches a long the metal on the high side of the feed lips then your Bolt is Dragging.

You also could have both problems going on.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
x2...if you can see where it hangs up remove some material...worst that can happen is you wind up using it for target practice... :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Target practice would be fun,

But i vote setting the mag on a 1lb can of Tannerite, and shooting the Tannerite to blow it up. To those of you in Safe states, that do not allow this,

It is a two part mix together, Explosive that is set off by a Bullet Impact.

They sell it at every sporting good store where i am

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Well I suppose I am now the last person on the planet to give advice...I thought I had all my feed problems solved...

Today...all three rotary mags...the TI...ammo was mini mags and game shok...both normally cycle perfect or near perfect...feed jambs out the gazoo...rounds are not stuck in mags...they point up fine...just way too many are not chambering...getting stuck big time nose up into the top of the receiver...nasty little problem to have...!

Not sure what brought this on...cannot see any reason for it...happens when I cycle them manually too...

Thinking about taking your advise with the explosives...

Very ticked off...had it running really good...wanted to shoot in a match next weekend...not looking good for me right now...

I did put the VQ extra power spring back in recently due to some light strikes...but I also did that prior to running several hundred rounds of blazers, mini mags, and game shoks since then with zero problems...

Well...at least I had none not go bang last two times out...given a choice...I'll take the light strikes... IF that is the problem...

Every time I think I have everything dialed in on this gun (except for tight groups at 100 yards) something crops up...

It might not be so bad except that mini mags have never had failures before for me and I have run over a 1,000 of them thru this gun... :mad:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 20 of 39 Posts