Ruger Forum banner

BX25 Magazine Wiggle adjustment removal

16K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  westgl 
#1 ·
I am not sure if this has been posted.

But, Here goes,

I was looking at my 10/22 and was trying to come up with a fix for the Loose fitting BX25 Mags.

Several things came to mind, none seemed to be a good fix, until I thought the Back of the barrel mount already has two threaded holes in the magwell.

A couple of loctited screws they could be nylon or Brass or maybe steel.

But it does ride against the plastic magazine body, softer material may be better.

I mounted the screws into the magwell barrel mount holes adjusted the screws so that the mag can still be removed, but the slack has been removed.

#2 · (Edited)
The Screws make it adjustable, if you are having feed issues you could take some of the wiggle of it till the issue is eliminated.

I am not saying remove all of the wiggle completely, but now, if you are having a feed problem, and have tried fixing it, there is a adjustment here that can be made, that may take some of the sloppiness out, just till it functions.

Options are always a good thing.

My BX25 Mags are fairly sloppy in the magwell.

There is side to side movement as well as forward aft movement.

#3 · (Edited)
This works for me, but then again I only have Ruger BX-25 Magazines, I have no idea if this would work on any other magazines.

It may work on any Magazine, but since i only have Ruger BX-25 and BX-10 those are the only Mags I have tried, you would have to do your own testing, with what ever mag you have, it is an idea if you need it.

if you dont have any feed issues with your BX-25, then you may not need the sloppy mag fix?

But it took out most of the sloppy-ness of the loose mag in the mag well

But then again, I also did the BX-25 Magazine Mod with empty 22 shell as a spacer to reduce the sloppy-ness of the red feeder to spring.

I use only BX-25 Mags and mine were pretty loose too.

Until i Put a couple of Nylon set screw in the back (inside the Magwell) Barrel Mount scew holes.

I did NOT remove my Barrel Mounting screws, I just screwed the nylon screw into the hole inside the magwell blue loctited them, tried it and adjusted so that they took out most of the slop, but still had enough movement to remove the mags.

Worked great for me

#9 ·
I did NOT remove my Barrel Mounting screws, I just screwed the nylon screw into the hole inside the magwell blue loctited them, tried it and adjusted so that they took out most of the slop, but still had enough movement to remove the mags.
Loctite is for metal to metal fasteners, it will eat away at the nylon screw.

If you must use something to keep the nylon screw from backing out a drop of CA glue would be better.

Just my .02

#6 ·
Just an opinion, but the 10/22 is kind of a sloppy gun from the get go. JMHO but I think it helps the overall reliability of the rifle? I may be totally wrong but I wonder if you had a snug fitting bolt, mags., etc. would the gun feed as reliablly? Not raining on your parade at all, very creative idea!
Keep on thinking,
Tony

#7 ·
I was thinking the same thing when I first got my BX-25...but since then I got a plastic TI-25 with steel lips... and it is at tight as anything can be...and IMO way better than the bx-25...and the 10 round rotary mags don't seem to have any slop to me...

They both have pros and cons...

I did the buck22 mod to my bx-25...can't say it made a difference in reliability but it is stupid easy and seems to be an improvement...

I would like the bx-25 a lot more if it were snug but not willing to modify the gun around it...not saying it's a bad idea if that is what you have...

#10 ·
I had some issues with my Butler Creek Hot Lips fitting correctly in my TD, so I modded the mag itself rather than the gun. I know that would be an issue for mags I use from other people perhaps, or new mags I buy, but I will deal with them on a casexcase basis. Figured there was no reason to mess with the gun too much if the 10round factory mags work fine and the 25 round after market didn't. It's easy enough to sand and/or shim the after market mags for me.

#12 ·
Im ready for October fest

They are roasting Pig in the ground for 20 hours, and plenty of other German side dishes, and a lot of Really Great German Draft Beer

#14 · (Edited)
Ok ZommyGun,

So how did you fix your BX25 mags using an empty 22 case.

I love the engineering aspect of this site

#16 · (Edited)
Hey not a problem,

There is another fix for the BX-25.

If there is a scratch on the, I'm going to call it the taller metal Hood section over the feed lips area. it is actually the taller feed lip section that is a 1/4" wide and is almost the width of the mag.

That needs to have some material removed across the whole width.

If you BX-25 has a scratch across it in this area, that means that your bolt is dragging across your BX-25 mag and slowing down the slide action of the bolt, causing the feed issue.

Some people are taking a small amount of metal off of this area, maybe using 320grit then 600 then 1200 grit,

I noticed that mine have the scratch on both of them. I was having some feed problems, i tried a few other fixes, But not this one yet.

Let me know if that works for you.

#17 · (Edited)
Hey ZommyGun

Aw Crap,

I just went to your other post via your Link

I was unaware that your BX-25 has died by death of a firing squad.

Did it have any last words besides Crack, how many shots did you blast it with to get your frustrations out.

What would have been nice to see would have been a 1/2 Lb. of Tannerite to blow it up.

I am Not sure if a 22LR will set Tannerite off or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.