Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Year's Resolution: get a CCW permit
Inspired by this thread, http://rugerforum.net/tavern/138275-why-carry-gun.html I viewed the most recent County CCW appplication form.

While the form itself does not ask why I need a permit, one of the listed requirements is that good cause exists to justify conceal-carry.

My question now is what would be a "proper" answer when during the interview, I'm asked why I need a CCW permit. The thread I mentioned earlier has some witty comments but I don't think they're the kind of answers the interviewer would want to hear from me even if he/she agrees with them.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
That's a tough one. Maybe just keep it simple and say as a very last resort to defend you and your loved ones from a violent attacker.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
San Bernardino? :eek:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That's a tough one. Maybe just keep it simple and say as a very last resort to defend you and your loved ones from a violent attacker.
That's about all you can say. Unfortunately, in a "may issue" state, it doesn't matter what you put there, they can deny it citing that your reason isn't good enough since "good cause" is subjective. Of course, any answer that is snarky or intentionally inciteful will get you rejected out of hand but there is no sure fire (pun intended) answer.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
When we were in a may issue state. I wrote that I go camping a lot and wanted it for inland marine. (the river) good luck

·
Administrator
22,291 Posts
There is a reason line on the NH application and I use the same one my dad did: "Personal protection and sporting purposes".

I see personal protection as a valid reason and by NH law it is a valid reason plus we are a shall issue state however I don't know the intricacies of CA regulations. The NRA has a list of attorney's by state and a few dollars spent with one of them will likely bring both coaching in that area and some legal enlightenment about CC laws in general. It could be money well spent. They also may know someone that knows someone, helpful in may issue states.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
I would not suggest "protection against government overbearance".

Personally, short of moving out of a "may issue" state I think the best response so far is "Personal protection and sporting purposes".

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Oregon may issue CCW permits to people living in adjacent states, but only if they can provide an adequate reason. A friend of mine who lives "over the great water" (the Columbia River) put it thusly:

"I routinely carry significant amounts of cash and other valuables into high-crime areas of Portland at night and on weekends."
This was the truth; he is a fan of the Portland Trailblazers, whose arena is in a bad part of town and their games are at night and on the weekends. As for "significant amounts of cash, etc", he said that it is a significant amount, to him.

He got the permit.

Jim

·
Registered
84 Posts
"I make large cash deposits for my business at the bank's drop-box at night. This necessitates me leaving my vehicle. The bank is in an area of the city that has experienced several recent robberies and burglaries."

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
When I applied for mine, Indiana had a "reason" line on the application. I simply put, "To exercise my second amendment rights per the Constitution of the United States."

I got my concealed carry permit.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, guys for your valuable inputs.
As far as I know, Sac county's sheriff is pro-2A although he was in the news recently for his department's use of a cellphone spying device or something like that.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I routinely carry significant amounts of cash and other valuables into high-crime areas of Portland at night and on weekends."
How did they know he wasnt just a gangbanger taking selfies. ;) :p

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
When I filed for my Massachusetts LTC on the "reason" line I put down "For all lawful purposes" and left it at that.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Oregon may issue CCW permits to people living in adjacent states, but only if they can provide an adequate reason. A friend of mine who lives "over the great water" (the Columbia River) put it thusly:

This was the truth; he is a fan of the Portland Trailblazers, whose arena is in a bad part of town and their games are at night and on the weekends. As for "significant amounts of cash, etc", he said that it is a significant amount, to him.

He got the permit.

Jim
Great response!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Howdy Alayonruger, I absolutely love your signature and copied it for later use if that's OK with you? It sure sums things up in a nutshell doesn't it? Smithy.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Sacramento County is shall issue, so the GC requirement is much easier.
I think you should sign on to CalGuns.net and CalCCW.com where you will get specific answers and comments for your county. ... ;)

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Howdy Alayonruger, I absolutely love your signature and copied it for later use if that's OK with you? It sure sums things up in a nutshell doesn't it? Smithy.
Sure. I just copied it myself from someone else.

Sacramento County is shall issue, so the GC requirement is much easier.
I think you should sign on to CalGuns.net and CalCCW.com where you will get specific answers and comments for your county. ... ;)
I am a member of both but for some reason, I feel more comfortable asking the fine folks here ;)

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Back in 1987 when I got my CCW " protection " permit, as it was called at the time,, our sheriff was an a$$hat. All he wanted to issue was "target shooting" permits,, which meant, you had to be going either to or from the range to carry. The whole thing was a total crock on manure, considering we were shall issue anyway, and also have open carry..
Once I had to pick up the payroll for the company i worked for, and deliver the checks to the other employee's.
So I stated that I was ask to pick up, transfer, and deliver the payroll / large sums of money for my employer. No lie there,,, but he did give me a Protection, aka/ conceal carry permit. It was a fight to re new every 4th year after that for about 20 years, until he was FINALLY voted out of office. I would go to re new,, and he would try and give me a " target" permit every time. The battle would then start. I told them, " I didnt come in her to get a target permit, I came in here to RE-NEW my existing protection permit,,, now either re new it,, or I go call a lawyer." They would very grudgingley re new it.
Thank God our new Sheriff is a huge 2 A advocate.
When My wife went in 2 years ago, he congratulated her, ask a few questions about whether she was getting some training. ( He provides free classes) . She said her husband was a Vet, and already had been training her. He replied that was great to hear.
When I took my 70 + year old Dad in last year,, the Sheriff congratulated him,, and with a huge smile, says, " dont you think it was about time you got your CCW Sir?'. ALso, just to give an idea how our new Sheriff thinks,,, he had the 2nd amendment put right on the back of our new cards.

Do some research 1st, Figure out the " loophole" Aylon, its your right. Do what it takes to get it. Good Luck.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do some research 1st, Figure out the " loophole" Aylon, its your right. Do what it takes to get it. Good Luck.
Thank you. I've been reading a lot on the subject and hope to get more info from the CCW class.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.