Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up -

I recently placed two orders for ammo online at Cabela's website. It shows that the items are in stock, allows me to order them, charges my bank card and the next day the charges are reversed and the order is marked "cancelled". There was no notification or explanation. I did an online chat with them and they said the items are unavailable and won't be backordered. I placed another order several weeks ago and it still has not been cancelled, but is showing "backordered".

Whoever designed their website and inventory management system needs to be replaced.

Paw Paw
I placed an order From Cabela's on 04/08/20 for 4 boxes of the Remington Gold 22lr 525 ct
Next day I had a tracking number, shows to be Delivered Monday 4-13.
I was suspect for sure, but nicely surprised that it appears to be working.

Dave

Cat Herder
I have two orders with Bass Pro that are in backorder for 60 days too. Both still showing available on the website.

Registered
Cabela's, to me, is done for. Even the stores are getting in less expensive items but are charging the same price if not more.

The quality of the hiking boots that I get are not as good as before but it's at the same price. They look the same but aren't.

The sales are less often and not as good. It's a shame, I liked Cabela's before the take over. They even changed the credit card company.

Registered
I have two orders with Bass Pro that are in backorder for 60 days too. Both still showing available on the website.
Same happened to me, I called and cancelled. Went to Academy and ordered. Received my ammo in 4 days. I have done plenty of business with Academy, and they never pull that let you order and then cancel your order bull****..

Ruger Tinkerer
Businesses are struggling right now just like everything else. Retail is a challenge in the best of times and right now is not the best of times by a long shot. The grocery stores and big box stores I've ventured into are a mess - empty shelves in some areas, employees trying to keep up with things and avoid getting sick. Amazon 2 day Prime has turned into 2 weeks on a lot of things. They're swamped and having to prioritize delivery. Right now it's a pleasant surprise when you find certain items at the store or when an online order actually gets delivered. This isn't a normal environment and I don't expect normal outcomes.

Grand Inquisitor
I canceled my Club membership with them when Bass Pro took over.

Much of the floor space in the stores now focuses on clothing. They cut back on food preservation and reloading gear, and ended lots of Cabelas brand clothing. The Redhead brand stuff is not up to the old Cabelas brand, and I will never again buy a wheelgun I cannot dry fire and check timing. BP ended the 10 day return policy on used guns, too.

Fishing gear is still decent, but I have a better locally owned option.

I wrote Cabelas corporate to tell them why they were going to lose thousands of bucks annually from me.

Crickets.

Registered
I placed an order From Cabela's on 04/08/20 for 4 boxes of the Remington Gold 22lr 525 ct
Next day I had a tracking number, shows to be Delivered Monday 4-13.
I was suspect for sure, but nicely surprised that it appears to be working.

Dave
I'll bet you will receive an email stating they are back ordered. I placed an order a while back, on Bass Pro (same co.) with expected ship date of 4/3. As soon as order was placed my order status was changed to ship date of 4/15, without informing me at the time of order taking place. OK. Then, after numerous emails asking for clarification received an email telling me ship date has moved 60 days, at the least. Cancelled, took a number of emails and chat attempts.

Same with Sportsman's Guide, BTW. They all lie, just to get you to commit your CC and to "club membership" fee, which will be charged BEFORE your order ever takes place.

Grand Inquisitor
Same with Sportsman's Guide, BTW. They all lie, just to get you to commit your CC and to "club membership" fee, which will be charged BEFORE your order ever takes place.
And small firms like Acme Bullets, where I get most of my "pills"?

Stuff that was in-stock arrived within 72 hours; arrived today, amidst this crisis. Shop around; you'll find much better service. It's sad, because Cabelas was once a fine place to look for outdoors gear and shooting supplies.

I don't know what I'll do when my last pairs of Upland Jeans wear out. Duluth makes something close enough for work in thick brush, but they cost a bit more.

Registered
Businesses are struggling right now just like everything else. Retail is a challenge in the best of times and right now is not the best of times by a long shot. The grocery stores and big box stores I've ventured into are a mess - empty shelves in some areas, employees trying to keep up with things and avoid getting sick. Amazon 2 day Prime has turned into 2 weeks on a lot of things. They're swamped and having to prioritize delivery. Right now it's a pleasant surprise when you find certain items at the store or when an online order actually gets delivered. This isn't a normal environment and I don't expect normal outcomes.

How true!
I don't expect 'normal' these days either but I do still expect honesty about whether they have product in stock and any expectation that they will ship reasonably soon.
The Cabella's/Bass Pro decline was well underway before any of us had heard of this virus. Bad timing for them to add 'today's normal' to all that they were already screwing up.
Being totally ignorant of the whole 'work from home' concept (doesn't apply much to the FF/EMT work I did before retirement) I wonder how much that is contributing to what appears to be a nationwide lack of inventory awareness?
Perhaps entirely unrelated ... many of us are old(er) and find the concept of not wanting to work ... foreign at best. With so much unemployment and the 'free' money' being added to that so that sitting home will soon be paying better than working, I wonder how many of the 'still' employed' are trying to figure out how to stay home themselves?

Bruce

Bruce

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Update

I got an email from Cabela's stating that they had some 22 LR ammo in stock. I immediately clicked on the link and went to their website. The item shows "backorderable", whatever the hell that means. :confused:

Registered
Yeah, a shame. I was very happy when a Cabela's opened even though it was 70 miles away. I bought several guns and lots of ammunition and a ton of fishing gear. They gave me a 5% discount for being a Vet and a 5% discount for being a retired LEO. After Bass Pro took over the discounts were gone and prices went up. I used to snicker at their used gun's talk about over priced! A really beat up Chinese SKS for $900.00, an M-1 Garand Fair condition, $1900.00. Lucky for me another Big Box store opened 30 miles closer and has both shooting and fishing gear at reasonable prices.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts