Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These can't be real. Every show features some couple in their 20's who's budget for a home is anywhere from $750k-$1M. They hardly ever say what the "buyers" do for a living. There are two that I remember being the most ridiculous.

One was the late 20's couple looking to permanently relocate to the Virgin Islands with a budget of $1M to 1.2M. No mention of what either did for a living and they didn't appear to be exceptionally smart.

The other that stands out was a young couple where the wife was an elementary school teacher and the husband was still a student. Their budget was 650k.

Many other similar storylines prevail and I'm just not buying it. My wife and I watch these shows primarily for home improvement ideas but get a chuckle out of some of the house hunting shows as well. How can the networks pass this off as real?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Actually, years ago when House Hunters first started, the people on the show were always looking at really cheap budget level homes. Over time, the networks figured out that people like watching shows about more upscale real estate.

There are quite a few young couples in their mid-20's to early 30's who make a lot of money. They really do buy expensive houses. Housing prices in some urban areas are surprisingly high. Employers that want to attract talented young professionals have to pay them accordingly.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
How can the networks pass this off as real?
The general audience these shows are aimed at aren't smart enough to know any better. Most people are darn gullible and a LOT are boarder line idiots, well ok just ignorant on a great many common sense things.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The general audience these shows are aimed at aren't smart enough to know any better. Most people are darn gullible and a LOT are boarder line idiots, well ok just ignorant on a great many common sense things.
^^ this^^. Like most reality shows,,, Look at who they are selling this crap too. Dum & Dummer. Discovery has ruined more channels than anyone. But paying some idiot a few bucks to make a 3rd grader reality show is much cheaper than producing good programming. The really pathetic part is, they have enough idiots to watch it.
Look who runs Hollywood? That should explain everything.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,256 Posts
Haven't watched anything like that for a long time. Cut the cable last year and all I get is the network channels over the air and ESPN on the Roku.

That said, I agree with what was stated earlier... A lot of differences in housing markets. Some places you can't even get into a townhouse for under $650. Other cities are very cheap. And I do think I have seen episodes of that show where the couple was buying something on the low end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
They're fake

Months of planning and permit review go into those "weekend" projects.

I know one of the couples on the international show were the realtors pretending to be buyers.

All TV is fake!

·
Banned
513 Posts
One was the late 20's couple looking to permanently relocate to the Virgin Islands with a budget of $1M to 1.2M. No mention of what either did for a living and they didn't appear to be exceptionally smart.
Rich people don't have to be smart anymore, it's called trust fund.:(

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,548 Posts
I also watch them for home improvement ideas but like all "reality" tv, I don't care much for the rest of the show.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
as important and "real" as mickey mouse. the same for all "reality" shows, and if I never hear about a Kardashian bimbo again it will be way to soon.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
As with most "reality" shows, the reality they portray is for an extremely small fraction of people. For most of us, what they depict has no relationship to reality. Hence, why I don't waste time watching any of them.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

My favorite quote from a great show. Too bad they had to ruin it like everything else.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Escape from reality it what they should be called.

My wife watches a lot of those type shows, sometimes even when they are reruns. It seems that she enjoys imagining her live in the big new clean house etc but what she doesn't understand is that if you spend 12 hours a day wishing you had someone else's life instead of working on actually improving your own the you'll never have the life you want.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I kinda like House Hunters International,. especially those showing places I've been to or lived. Either they are stupid or playing on a script. But, it is entertainment.

·
Registered
497 Posts
We will watch the "Fixer Upper" show based out of Waco, Tx. That couple seem to be a little more "real" and fun. The rest of them we quit after a couple of shows. Some real estate shows seem to be pushing the "lgbt" agenda quite hard.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Escape from reality it what they should be called.

My wife watches a lot of those type shows, sometimes even when they are reruns. It seems that she enjoys imagining her live in the big new clean house etc but what she doesn't understand is that if you spend 12 hours a day wishing you had someone else's life instead of working on actually improving your own the you'll never have the life you want.
+1

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
funny how so many of you judge others by their age or on-air intelligence, while knowing nothing about them, where they came from, where they got their money or anything about them.

Just because you are too lazy, financially un-creative, lack of drive or will power you think no one else could possible be able to buy expensive things at such a young age... You should be ashamed

Whether its real or not is something you can find out by googling the persons info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts