Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Caldwell Resetting rimfire target on Amazon:

I have been unable to get it work properly. The targets will not stay up on the crossbar. I have tried setting it up at all angles, with the arms both in front and behind the frame. Depending up the angle, the lower targets flip around and strike the crossbar with enough force to cause it to spin all the way around and obviously not retain the spinners . Occasionally, a spinner will stay on the crossbar but the next shot will move the crossbar and all spinners will drop. The spinners are now bending where the twist stops and the round target begins. The bend is contributing to the problem because it sits on the crossbar at an angle. I am going to attempt to straighten them. I don't have a vice so it may be difficult to it. I will try some channel locks or vice grips to see if I can hammer them straight against a brick.

There is a lot of slop where the spinners and crossbar mount on the frame. This causes both the crossbar and the spinners to rotate at an angle instead of landing perpendicular to the crossbar.

I have tried flipping the targets with my hand with various levels of force and I cannot find an angle that works.

I have tried standard velocity and high velocity ammo. I am typically shooting at 25 yards but also tried at about 50 yards. There is no difference.

Has anyone figured out how to setup these targets so they work as intended or are they just a POS and this is the best I can expect? They are still fun to shoot, even if they won't stay on the crossbar.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,556 Posts
My target is a different type. Mine has a base that stakes to the ground. It is sensitive to the angle of bullet strike, but as long as the impact is straight on it works fine. I hope you figure your target out. I enjoy shooting mine with a 10/22 or a Charger at 25yds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My target is a different type. Mine has a base that stakes to the ground. It is sensitive to the angle of bullet strike, but as long as the impact is straight on it works fine. I hope you figure your target out. I enjoy shooting mine with a 10/22 or a Charger at 25yds.
What target are you using? I might want to try a different type.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,556 Posts
I've had mine a long time. I think it came from Sportsmans Guide ten years ago. The only photo I can find shows it in tall grass. I keep it at my camp in S. Georgia. Sorry I can't be specific on a make or model.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I've had mine a long time. I think it came from Sportsmans Guide ten years ago. The only photo I can find shows it in tall grass. I keep it at my camp in S. Georgia. Sorry I can't be specific on a make or model. View attachment 142730
I have one like this, probably 15 years old. Got it when I was in college. It held up surprisingly well. All I had to do was replace the pins holding the spinners and spacers on the bar. Used a nail and bent it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,556 Posts
I have one like this, probably 15 years old. Got it when I was in college. It held up surprisingly well. All I had to do was replace the pins holding the spinners and spacers on the bar. Used a nail and bent it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually mine lost a couple of pins after a year or so. The manufacturer sent me replacement roll pins. I installed those and made sure all the rest were firmly seated. No problems since.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up a Do-All Resetting 22 target from Cabela's that looks similar to your picture.

I looks like it should work better. It sits flat on the ground and came with stakes to hold it in place. It should not be affected by the angle of the frame. My only concern is that I can see the targets hitting the stop and bouncing back if they are hit hard.

I straightened the Caldwell targets and I put some zip ties through the gaps on the crossbar in an attempt to help with the slop that causes the targets to move to the side and fall off of the crossbar. Sometimes the inner two targets strike the vertical bar and knock it forward. The zip ties provide a little friction that will slow the rotation and hopefully help with the targets flipping around so hard that it causes the other targets to fly off.

I will be going out tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, to do some testing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did further testing at 25 yards with the resetting targets today. I shot CCI Subsonic and Standard Velocity, and American Eagle Super Xtra. I wondered if the Subsonic ammo might have a lighter impact on the targets. The ammo made no difference.

My conclusions:

1. The Caldwell 22 resetting target is a POS. No matter what angle it is set up, the targets will not stay up. At best, two targets stayed up and then fell on the third shot. I hoped that taking out some of the slop would make a difference. I was careful to set it up so I was shooting straight at the targets. It is still fun to shoot but I would not recommend this product.

2. The Do-All target worked very well. One target fell after a subsequent shot. I tilted the target a little farther forward and it worked flawlessly after that. The included stakes hold it in place nicely. Highly recommended!

3. I also shot my Birchwood Casey Dueling tree. I do have to tilt it a bit farther forward as well, or the targets will flip around from the shock of a subsequent shot. Once it is setup correctly, it functions flawlessly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts