Ruger Forum banner

calling all hog hunters

10K views 102 replies 37 participants last post by  brnwlms 
#1 ·
What's your favorite weapon to hunt pigs with.( 357 magnum Ruger GP100)

#2 ·
I've taken one with a S&W 629 and another with a 35 Remington contender. Both worked very good. I have another hog hunt planned for September. This time it will be with my 45 colt. 😀

Reactions: knifegeak
#7 ·
Lucky you. Those creatures are great to hunt and mighty good eatin' too. When I got home with the second one I shot, I stuffed one of the hams in the smoker. Needless to say, only a few bones were left. Not much else

#5 ·
Savage 110 .30-06 with my 165gr Speer Hot Core hand loads. I load them over Varget to an avg velocity of 2833fps . The Savage will put three shots into 1.5 inches at 200yds. If I have to chase them into thick stuff I carry my 7.5" stainless Redhawk .44 magnum. I load the Magtech 240gr JSP over Blue Dot for great accuracy and an average velocity of 1411fps. Both guns/loads are pig killers!

#9 ·
Do it like Jerry Dorminy (passed in 2006) did when he hunted hogs. Jump out of a tree on top of the hog with a Bowie knife. A hunting magazine wrote an article about this years ago but I can't remember the name of it.

#10 ·
For rifle I like using the 3006. It’s always enough gun. On smaller pigs it goes right through and is big enough for the 360-400+ pounder you run across every once in awhile. 308 is fine too, but I have come back to the 3006 after years of trying other things in my decades of hunting.

I have used 45 Colt+p, 45 ACP, 44 Magnum, 10 MM and 454 Casul. If it is close enough I go for a headshot. I like my Glock 20 if it is backing up the rifle, my first field gun was a 70+ year old 1911, it works. If I am just carrying a handgun to hunt pigs I have a 6” Smith 29 or a 7.5” 454 loaded down a bit to 250 grains moving at 1500ish.

I would just stick with the 44 mag if I could only chose one Hunting pistol. Pigs brains are pretty tiny and I like the 1000+ ft lbs I can deliver with the 29. It have the advantage of double action if you get in a pinch and can deliver precise accuracy with the single action pull.

#16 ·
I'm not the guy who would go out with his AR-15/MSR expecting to take down a pig and emptying the magazine to do it. Nor am I the guy to use a handgun on a pig.

I would prefer any rifle from a 243 Win upwards. I do know of a 200+ lb. hog taken with a single well placed shot from a .223 Rem, 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (lead free) bullet, but I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I use a 7 mm-08 Rem and my hunting partner uses a 308 Win. When I put them down I expect them to stay down...

#76 ·
I'm not the guy who would go out with his AR-15/MSR expecting to take down a pig and emptying the magazine to do it. Nor am I the guy to use a handgun on a pig.

I would prefer any rifle from a 243 Win upwards. I do know of a 200+ lb. hog taken with a single well placed shot from a .223 Rem, 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip (lead free) bullet, but I wouldn't recommend it. Personally, I use a 7 mm-08 Rem and my hunting partner uses a 308 Win. When I put them down I expect them to stay down...
7.08 Great round for distance.Then knock down power vs. recoil.

#18 ·
My 25-45 sharps with the 117 grain interlock reload does well. The 450 bushmaster with a 250 deep curl bonded reload does well too. Both are on AR platforms. I plan to try my 338 federal which has more kinetic energy than my 7mm rem mag out to 400 yards.

30/30,"308, 30.06 270win all good on feral hogs.

Im actually gearing up for some coyote fun in the near future.

#19 ·
My 25-45 sharps with the 117 grain interlock reload does well. The 450 bushmaster with a 250 deep curl bonded reload does well too. Both are on AR platforms. I plan to try my 338 federal which has more kinetic energy than my 7mm rem mag out to 400 yards.

30/30,"308, 30.06 270win all good on feral hogs.

Im actually gearing up for some coyote fun in the near future.
nice rounds let us know how it works out

#34 ·
.308 Savage bolt action and the cheapest 147-150gr ammunition I can find. Usually Wolf steel case fmj. Have exclusive access to some river bottom farmland with Hampshire/Duroc crosses that have been running wild for the last 85-90 years. Park the truck, set the bipod and wait. I drop them, landowner processes them and gives away the meat. The true wild hogs here might go 100#. Scrawny, mean, stinky... I usually get them with the truck at night or early morning on my commute. Got a whole litter last year...

#35 ·
Your choice of caliber depends should depend on how you hunt them. I have hunted out of a box blind over bait and know a guy that uses a .22 mag and takes head shots from the blind. If your moving thru the brush you want something with more om-pah to it.

#37 ·
Hogs are a scourge where I live. They root up my food plots and road ditches all the time. As to what gun to use, whatever I have handy. I’ve killed them with a bow, a .223, a 22-250, a 7.62x39, a 40 S&W, a.45 ACP, a 6.8 SPC, a .450 Bushmaster, a 7-08, and a .280 Rem. I’ve even killed them in a corral trap with a .22 mag. My “hog gun” is the 6.8 SPC though, one high shoulder shot with a 115 gr. Federal Fusion and they are toast ! They will all die with one shot from almost any gun if you ear hole them. If I’m deer hunting and a hog shows, it’s a hog hunt !:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.