Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 103 Posts
nice rounds let us know how it works out
Here is a video of a very similiar round just 100 grain in 25-45 on hogs. Watch from 2:23 for the results.

Reactions: knifegeak
Will keep you posted on the others results. (y)

For a rifle I like my 6.5 Grendel, for Handgun I'm partial to my .41 Magnum
Love mine too, very effective the 6.5 grendel is.

Wow!! That porker never flinched. Hit him like a bolt of lighting.
Yes its impressive on hogs, can be used for deer and coyotes too. I load a 90 grain sierra hollow point for my 16" and the 117 interlock for the (2) 20" sharps i built. The accuracy has been under 1" at 100 yards to boot.

Never hunted them but have been hunted by a feral hog at Ft. Polk, LA. Big old thing with piglets.
She tore the fender off a civilian motor pool jeep. Had to do a damage report, the M.P. who took it said it happens sometimes.
Anything that can eat a jeep, in my opinion, needs big bullets and back up!

.308 Savage bolt action and the cheapest 147-150gr ammunition I can find. Usually Wolf steel case fmj. Have exclusive access to some river bottom farmland with Hampshire/Duroc crosses that have been running wild for the last 85-90 years. Park the truck, set the bipod and wait. I drop them, landowner processes them and gives away the meat. The true wild hogs here might go 100#. Scrawny, mean, stinky... I usually get them with the truck at night or early morning on my commute. Got a whole litter last year...

Your choice of caliber depends should depend on how you hunt them. I have hunted out of a box blind over bait and know a guy that uses a .22 mag and takes head shots from the blind. If your moving thru the brush you want something with more om-pah to it.

Hogs are a scourge where I live. They root up my food plots and road ditches all the time. As to what gun to use, whatever I have handy. I’ve killed them with a bow, a .223, a 22-250, a 7.62x39, a 40 S&W, a.45 ACP, a 6.8 SPC, a .450 Bushmaster, a 7-08, and a .280 Rem. I’ve even killed them in a corral trap with a .22 mag. My “hog gun” is the 6.8 SPC though, one high shoulder shot with a 115 gr. Federal Fusion and they are toast ! They will all die with one shot from almost any gun if you ear hole them. If I’m deer hunting and a hog shows, it’s a hog hunt !:)

I would use an ar15 with laser and if at night if you can afford one an infrared or other night scope. Perhas green led lights suspended around a feeder. Reason for thesemi auto ar is that the hogs are usually in sounders of several to a a lot more. With familiarity and practicewith the AR you might pick off everal at one time.

I use a Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39 with a 3x9 Leupold and a YHM 30 cal suppressor. Either a head shot or behind the head neck shot with cheap Russian ammo and always less than 100 yards. They drop in their tracks so I do not have to track them and no wasted meat.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.