Ruger Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a guy wanting me to clear them off his property
If he wants you to clear them off, make yourself a corral trap. There is a lot of info on the web. My cousin made one for me. We've caught as many as 22 at a time and more than 120 so far. We park about 30 yards away to shoot them in the trap. That way they don't boil up and run around. My preference is 30-06 in the brain pan so I don't torture them to death.

·
Registered
490 Posts
i wish there was some way to trap them for a living i'd quit my job
I have a corral trap and I’ve trapped up to 17 at a time, but the big hogs are reluctant to enter any kind of enclosure around here. Unfortunately, that’s where the best money is, big hogs. If you can catch some 200 lb. boars with good cutters, these guys that have pens where folks “hunt” them will pay $250/$350 for them. Gotta big and nasty to fetch that though. I’m an indiscriminate hog killer, from striped pigs to upwards of 300 lb., I kill every one I can. Here’s one my buddy killed last week on our lease. It a barrow, don’t know if he was born that way or caught and cut by hog doggers when he was a pig.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's a big hog.

Cryptorchidism, undescended testicles, can be found in feral swine. We've found a few boars like that.

Out of more than 120 we've only had one boar over 200 pounds and we did sell him.

A box trap doesn't work well here in our part of East Texas. They're too smart. After removing the floor wire panel however I did finally manage to catch two young ones.

When we first had the corral trap there was a metal threshold at the trap door. My game camera video showed the whole sounder backing up at the threshold. They would not cross it even though there was plenty of corn clearly in view. We covered it with a few inches of dirt and had better luck and caught 15. Next time we moved the corral, we removed the threshold completely.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have a corral trap and I’ve trapped up to 17 at a time, but the big hogs are reluctant to enter any kind of enclosure around here. Unfortunately, that’s where the best money is, big hogs. If you can catch some 200 lb. boars with good cutters, these guys that have pens where folks “hunt” them will pay $250/$350 for them. Gotta big and nasty to fetch that though. I’m an indiscriminate hog killer, from striped pigs to upwards of 300 lb., I kill every one I can. Here’s one my buddy killed last week on our lease. It a barrow, don’t know if he was born that way or caught and cut by hog doggers when he was a pig. View attachment 146048
nice porker

·
Registered
311 Posts
We don't have a huntable population of feral hogs in our state, according to the Dept. of Agriculture. Which is why one of our "Sportsman" outdoor personalities touded a farm that offered "Hog Hunting"...turning a couple of domesticated, well-fed porkers out and herded by where the "Hunters" and their offspring were waiting. They wanted them "to experience the hunt" I turned the show off when I saw that. I complained to the station management, and got "That was the most popular segment we have ever showed!"🤢
O.K., rant over.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
We don't have a huntable population of feral hogs in our state, according to the Dept. of Agriculture. Which is why one of our "Sportsman" outdoor personalities touded a farm that offered "Hog Hunting"...turning a couple of domesticated, well-fed porkers out and herded by where the "Hunters" and their offspring were waiting. They wanted them "to experience the hunt" I turned the show off when I saw that. I complained to the station management, and got "That was the most popular segment we have ever showed!"🤢
O.K., rant over.
here in Florida they're a real problem they destroy 100 of acers of farm land a week

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have used 308 savage 99, 9x56 Mannlicher Schoenauer 1905, Marlin 336 in 35 rem, 358 win in a BLR and a 9.3x62 in a CZ550 FS. I like large holes in both sides, copious blood trails and short or no tracking jobs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Almost forgot got one with my Remington model 14 in 30 remington shooting 170 grain round nose. One of the easiest carrying and fastest to shoulder and snap shoot when jumping up game. Fun was built in 1919. Shoots just like new.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hunt in a place which allows bow, black powder, or handgun, but no center-fire rifles. They also don't allow dogs. I originally bought my 6" .357 Magnum GP100 for use out there and have very, very spotty sightings of hogs to shoot at. I got a 117-pound sow with the GP100 from about 15 yards from a spot on the ground. I got it right behind the shoulder, clipping the spine, with a Remington 125gr JHP. The hog went right down and expired in less than a minute. I recovered the projectile right under the hide when I was skinning it out.

I carry my .44 Magnum Redhawk, now that I have it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I hunt in a place which allows bow, black powder, or handgun, but no center-fire rifles. They also don't allow dogs. I originally bought my 6" .357 Magnum GP100 for use out there and have very, very spotty sightings of hogs to shoot at. I got a 117-pound sow with the GP100 from about 15 yards from a spot on the ground. I got it right behind the shoulder, clipping the spine, with a Remington 125gr JHP. The hog went right down and expired in less than a minute. I recovered the projectile right under the hide when I was skinning it out.

I carry my .44 Magnum Redhawk, now that I have it.
sounds like my last sow but she cooked out nice

·
Registered
50 Posts
sounds like my last sow but she cooked out nice
So did the one I got. The ham and roasts were the best and so was the Italian sausage. While hitting behind the shoulder left me with the good ham and roasts, the spinal clip did mess up one back strap just a little--only lost a tiny bit of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
So did the one I got. The ham and roasts were the best and so was the Italian sausage. While hitting behind the shoulder left me with the good ham and roasts, the spinal clip did mess up one back strap just a little--only lost a tiny bit of it.
some times their hard to put down. on hogs shot placement is every thing

41 - 55 of 55 Posts