Ruger Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am partial to hunting with open sights, but never hunted wild hogs. Shot many deer without a scope on my rifle so just asking, can hog hunters use open sights? I grew up hunting deer in the heavy hemlock swamps of upstate New York and never used a scope. Now after living in Iowa a few years we are moving to Florida. Am I crazy to hunt hogs with my .243 bolt action Remigton with open sights? Thanks
Sure you can use open sights. The last one I shot was with a .357mag from about 10 feet away.
Often you will hunt them around stands of Palmetto and you will not have long shots at all. Other areas they may be a couple hundred yards away.
What part of Florida?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am partial to hunting with open sights, but never hunted wild hogs. Shot many deer without a scope on my rifle so just asking, can hog hunters use open sights? I grew up hunting deer in the heavy hemlock swamps of upstate New York and never used a scope. Now after living in Iowa a few years we are moving to Florida. Am I crazy to hunt hogs with my .243 bolt action Remigton with open sights? Thanks
You'll find that the vegetation where you'll hunt hogs in Florida is dense enough that you most likely won't even be shooting far enough to take advantage of your scope. The open sights will serve you much better.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Will be moving to the Fort Meyer or Naples areas. Last year while vacationing there we saw a huge black bear cross the road in front of us just south of Naples.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thank you for the info on scopes. Most of the videos I have seen on hog hunting have shown huge scopes shooting at long distance. Many of them hunting at night. At 72 years old I like to be sleeping at night. Thanks all.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I built my first AR in 6.5 Grendel just for hog hunting. Deserves a serious look, great cartridge perfect for hogs and deer, super accurate from a good barrel, low recoil. Type 6.5 Grendel into youtube and watch hundreds of hunters knock them down. Especially a channel called "Carpe Sus."
Slapped a Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x on it and it is perfect from point-blank out to about 250+ yards.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I've used a 357 magnum Ruger pistol, 22 mag and mini 14 all with open sights, it what ever you bring to the party just no rimfire on state land.

·
Registered
15 Posts

During past several years, a .223 or 7.62x39 AR rifle. I just shot a buck last weekend, so for a bit I will be using my Ruger 300Blk. Will be out Sunday with one of the grandsons and try to let him take a pig with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have hunted hogs quite a bit with open sights taking them cleanly at 15 to 125 yards. If using a 243 I would recommend using premium bullets like Nosler partitions or Barnes TTSX as 243 is on the light side for larger hogs ie over 150 lbs. good luck with your move and happy hunting.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Speaking of hogs.........

My son killed this sow tonight on the back of my place. She’s a fatty at 317 pounds !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Naples/Ft Meyers is on the other side of the Alley from me. We have friends that live in Immokalee in the unincorporated area east of where your heading.
They have shot a few hogs on their property.
Your style of hunting should be fine. It works for them

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I've been living in North central Florida for over 12 years now. This year (in the month of November) I've seen 4 hogs hit on the road and their 150 to 200 pounder not sure if we having a hog bomb or because of the whole Covid-19 pandemic no one is hunting them?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hunt the north western part of Florida called Gulf Hammock on my brothers land. I use my compound bow and my bolt action .223, nosler 64gr bonded solid base bullets. Never had one take two steps. He also shoots the same bullets and caliber. We kill a metric shit ton of pork.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts