Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado owner and it's time to replace it with a newer vehicle. I have no complaints about my Colorado, matter of fact it's my 2nd one but it's getting up there in miles, 250,000 and I drive 30-35K a year so I need a newer truck.

I have been looking for a few weeks and there are no Colorado's on the lots right now but I'm finding Toyotas and Nissans. The Tacoma is a very nice truck but it is always 2-3K higher than the Nissan. Right now I just cant justify that kind of price difference. I have found a 2013 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner crew cab, V-6, 2 wheel drive with 42,000 miles with a book value of $26,900.

I have also at the same dealer found a 2013 Frontier crew cab 4X4 V-6 with 36,000 miles with a book value of $24,000. With my trade in value and a small down payment I could buy this and only have to borrow $16,000 and have a very low payment. My only hold up is if the Nissan will hold up to high mileage driving every day. I know the Colorado will and my wife's work uses the Tacoma and they get great service out of them, some have 300-400K on them before they get rid of them.

So what say all you Frontier owners? Will the Nissan hold up for the long haul?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have a 10 year old Nissan Pathfinder 4X4 V6 (Same frame & engine as the frontier). It has around 120K miles and has been a fantastic vehicle. I've kept up with the maintenance religiously as I do with any cars I've owned. Having said that, once this one goes, I'll probably look at the 4 door Tacoma to replace it.

·
Super Moderator
22,126 Posts
I had two Tacoma's before I started my GM retirement benefits and became eligible for the GM employee discount. The first Tacoma I put 345,000 miles on it and sold it outright and got another which I traded in on my Chevy 3500 (needed a big truck). The Tacoma holds it's value even with 6 figure mileage on it. I used to put about 35,000 miles a year on them when I was in the working world. The issues I had with the Tacoma's were minor and were normal maintenance as they got some miles on them. Mine were both 5 speed 4 wheel drive and I even plowed with the first one.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I bought a 1989 2wd Nissan pickup new and put well over 300,000 miles on it before it developed a crack in the frame. The motor, drive train, and suspension was still serviceable. I did not baby it at all and would get another if I needed a small truck again. It was my everyday ride and also served as a light duty farm truck.
I recommend using only Nissan brand oil filters, they have an internal check that helps keep the oil system pressurized after it is shut off. Change the oil and filters as scheduled and you should get long service life.
My brother had a similar experience with his 4wd and used it as his everyday ride and hauled a lot of firewood etc. He just got another (used) Nissan to replace it after over 250,000miles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
as much as I despised the thought of buying "rice burners", I bought my first Datsun/Nissan pickup in 1983 due to he need for 4wd and "small" for my type of work. Currently, I'm still driving a 2003 4 door, 4wd Frontier with only 110k miles (small work territory). If I can keep up with all those little things that seem to go wrong with "age", rather than "wear", I'll happily keep this one for another 10 years. With all the unnecessary features and accessories that come as standard equipment on vehicles now, I'll probably not be buying another new one due to the crazy prices.

jd

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
OP, as a person who has spent time in the past selling trucks for dealerships, my first question to you is whether you would consider a full size truck instead.

Back when Chevy and Ford still made S-10's and Rangers, there was a distinct difference between small and full size pickups. The small trucks WERE smaller, were a lot cheaper, got much better fuel economy AND they could do a lot of work for their size.

These days, things have changed an awful lot, and mostly for the bad. The smaller trucks are now medium sized, don't get much better fuel economy than the full size trucks, and often are poor to mediocre at doing work. Adding insult to injury is the price. Often there are very few incentives and discounts available on the smaller trucks, while a full sized truck might have up to $9,000 of discounts available, AND sometimes even low or 0% interest financing to go along with it.

Strangely enough, you can often buy a full size truck for cheaper than the smaller ones.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 2010 nissan crew cab frontier. It has 75k on it and all that has been done is oil change and one set of tires. I couldnt be happier with that truck honestly. It get 21 mpg if i drive normal, has room for me, my wife, and 3 kids all under age 6. Ive took it to orlando florida and Baltimore Maryland from east tennessee. Ive pulled a small camper, drive it daily, and taken it up rough rocky mountain roads and dry creek beds. Never a problem

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I have a 2006 Nismo Frontier 4x4 (same engine as the 2013) wit 87k on it. The 4 liter v6 that they have from 2005 and up is very reliable. Up to about 2008 they had timing chain noise issues but has been corrected since then(my timing chains were replaced under warranty). I've never had a problem with mine that wasn't wear and tear. I've done all scheduled maintenance and only put two sets of tires on and replaced front and rear shocks. Great trucks. I think they're better than the Titan anyway.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a 2000 crew cab(1st year for the crew cab). The only problem that I have is that full size trucks get the same gas milage as my small truck. The V-6 likes gas.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier, bought it brand new 8 years ago and I have 197,463 miles on it. My average gas mileage is 22 miles to the gallon, and I base my mileage on a average driving day on highways and city streets. It will probably do better if you keep it on the highways only. It does great for the long road trip, and pulls my 12 foot single Axel trailer like a champ. My old S-10's didnt really didnt like pulling trailers and I went through two S-10's in the time I have had my Nissan.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I've test drove the Nissan and supposed to test drive the Toyota today.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I had a 98 Frontier until last summer, sold it with 207,000 miles on it still going strong. A month later it got totalled :(
I just bought a 2015 Tacoma V6 2wd, liked it better than the new Frontier, but it cost $$$ more.
Like it so far!

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a 98 Frontier until last summer, sold it with 207,000 miles on it still going strong. A month later it got totalled :(
I just bought a 2015 Tacoma V6 2wd, liked it better than the new Frontier, but it cost $$$ more.
Like it so far!

I know what you mean about the higher cost of the Tacoma. The one I'm looking at is 2 wheel drive and $3000 more than the Nissan and it was a 4X4 and 10000 less miles on it.

However the Toyota seems to be a better put together truck. The Nissan had lots of rattles and more road and engine noise inside the cab. The Toyota also has better radio and speakers.

Looks to me that if I can get a good trade on my Colorado, I will buy my first rice burner. :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nissan Frontier

I have a 2012 Frontier SL crew cab 4x4 4.0 V6 automatic that has been a great solid vehicle. I too looked at a Toyota Tacoma, but found them to be too hard to find with the options I was looking for. They are also pretty expensive compared to a similarly equipped Frontier. I got tired with trying to locate a Tacoma and paying their outrageous prices. I am very happy with my Frontier and would not hesitate to purchase a 2017 model with the updated styling changes. Check out some of the Frontier and Tacoma forums for some additional experiences And knowledge. I have always bought full sized Forda and Chevy trucks in the past, but wanted to be able to garage my vehicle, thus the reason for purchasing a smaller truck this time around.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I've worked in Service Departments for both Nissan and Toyota dealerships (under the same ownership). There were far less warranty claims and repair work on the Tacomas vs the Frontiers. That being said, I own the Tacoma. It's worth the extra $$ in the long run. I've had my Tacoma going on 6 years now (bought it new). I have done nothing to the truck but routine maintenance and wear items (1 set of tires). I have almost 70k miles on it and the original brakes are not yet half worn and I do a lot of city driving.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I own two Nissans, an '04 Nissan 350z and a '13 Pathfinder. I bought both new. I also have an '04 Tacoma Xtra-cab 4wd. I bought this truck used in 2010, because my '93 with 180,000 miles on it was vandalized. I wouldn't consider any other brand of truck other than Toyota and I'm a Nissan fan.

·
Registered
161 Posts
A good friend traded his 2011 or 2012 V6 4X4 Frontier for a 2014 Frontier equipped just like it on a whim when he went in for an oil change. This year he traded his almost new Frontier in on a new GMC Canyon with V6 and 4X4 because he said the Nissan was getting 13 MPG. He swears his GMC gets 19 (I doubt it). My brother had a V6 Frontier that got terrible mileage in cold weather. I had a 4 cylinder Nissan that got good mileage but that was long ago.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have owned a nissan pick-up since 1986.5 (hard body)I now own 2 Nissan crew cab frontiers . A 2004 and a 2011 4x4. They have been good trucks. Gas mileage is not the greatest but I have been happy with the trucks.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to all who replied about their trucks.

Well I ended up getting neither truck. I had decided on the Tacoma over the Frontier and by the time the dealer gave me all the figures on it, it was right at $28,000. No way was I going to spend that kind of money on a 2 year old vehicle with 42,000 miles on it. I had to leave it be.

While I was driving around working today I stopped into another Chevrolet dealer and left in a brand new 2016 Colorado LT, V6, 2wd pick up. With 2.9% financing I was amazed that my payment was the same as the 2013 Tacoma.

I guess I'm just a Colorado guy as this makes my 3rd one, first new one though. If it runs as long on mileage as the other 2, (250K) I will have it 8-9 years as I will break it in to the way I drive and should get more out of it than the others.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts