Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how anyone can take Clint Smith seriously when he writes about revolvers in American Handgunner, since he works for and takes money from Smith and Wesson. You'll notice he never mentions any Ruger or Taurus revolvers in his articles. I admire him for his shooting skills, but I don't take his word as gospel on guns (he also seems to really be pushing the XD45).

American Handgunner used to be the best, most unbiased gun mag I knew of, and I still like it, but it's slipping a bit.

And yes, I know that using "gunwriter" and "credibility" in the same sentence is pushing it to begin with .:D

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Have not bought Handgunner in a while. Most of the time i sometimes think that writers are a bit suspect and know who butters their bread. Then again, every once in a while, they will suprise me.
He works for s&w----but is pushing the xd45? Bet s&w does not like that since they have their m&p 45 that they want to sell......

Perhaps the man is more comfortable writing about guns he is familar with. But that is the rub---it sure got Zumbo in trouble writing about AR's with what little knowledge he had about them!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Well, Coffee Pot worked for Ruger for at least a century-and he'll shoot straight on their good and bad points....I trust Clint Smith-I don't care who pays him-he's highly respected in the training world and as a writer-he's got enough pull at S&W to get the .44 and .45 resurrected in fighting mode-iron sights and that's a big plus for us old guys...I'm much more likely to suspect my local dealer singing the praises of Plinkits...which he sunk all his money or credit line into, hoping to sell them by Christmas....than I am a pro like Clint---sponsored by or holding hands with S&W or not...the acid test is to buy one and judge for yourself...I think Clint's advice is second only to Mas'...and the XD is gaining more praise than his...hard to find a complaint...them's my thoughts...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I have always taken magazine writer's articles with a grain of salt, be it gun, auto, or cooking. I fell that forums are an excellant way to learn about a particular subject. It is rather easy to tell the posters that have knowledge. This forum is probably the best I've ever seen. There are some people here that really know what they are talking about. This is just my opinion...your milage may vary.....

·
Banned
723 Posts
NEWSFLASH: Clint Smith has an article in the latest "American Handgunner" on the Taurus PT1911.

I don't think Clint Smith works for S&W, but I may be wrong. I do think he used his "influence" to get S&W to build a real life fighting handgun. He has written about the XD Pistols too. I seriously doubt that he is on the S&W payroll, but like I said, I may be wrong.

Clint Smith has cred with me, just from reading what he writes. Massad Ayoob also has cred with me. I've never attended Thunder Ranch or LFI, but I do plan to change that in the upcoming years.

Biker

·
Banned
723 Posts
BTW. I forgot to add that my EDC is a S&W 22-4 Thunder Ranch Revolver.

I selected it, not because of Clint Smith but because it was a 4" N-Frame with fixed sights and shoots 45 ACP. I would prefer it to have an under barrel lug, like the 625 and fixed sights like the 681, as well as be Stainless Steel.

Biker

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I'm kind of like Wizard on this. I'm sure there are credible Gun Writers working for a Mfg that aren't influenced by that Mfg, just the same as I'm sure there are Politicians holding offices that aren't influenced by the big companies that lobby and donate to them. To me there's nothing like experience from those that has been there. Theres nothing I like better, if I'm going to buy something, than asking people that have what I want: How long have you had it? What do you like and not like about it? This is just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smith does do articles on AUTOpistols other than Smiths, but I've yet to see an article about any other make of revolver, and he conspicuously omits Ruger from any revolver discussion.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm with Wizard. I think forums like this are the best place to get unbiased opinions.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Yeah, I think we are pretty unbiased about the fact that made in the USA, Rugers are the sturdiest, most reliable and best bang for the price on the market.

Also Rugers are the most accurate, finest fitted and best produced guns of any manufacturer in the world in my most unbiased opinion.
:D

·
Registered
191 Posts
When reading any of the 'gun rags' out there, you must keep in mind that the writer's paycheck depends on what he writes. Whoever they work for they obtain guns free or on no cost loan from the various manufacturers for their article. If they produce an article that sheds a bad light on the manufacturer they are writing about, they are much less likely to be able to obtain guns/ammunition from that manufacturer in the future. So just take what they say with a grain of salt. There is a bit of 'candy coating' going on out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts