Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have no idea about AI style magazine's, but the Ruger American Predator rifle I want to buy uses them. I cannot see a magazine release button clearly, so that's what I want to know. Also I read they are rotary? What's that mean, like a 10/22 magazine?

Here is the link to Ruger's website to confirm this is the exact rifle I'd like to buy

Here is also a link to a larger magazine I'd like, can I just push a button and swap them out?

Thank you so much for reading/replying, I wanted clear answers before I do anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sailor Moon:

The magazine release is the tab that hangs down between the front of the trigger guard and the back of the magazine. The magazines are not rotary, they are kind of like double stack if I'm thinking correctly. Pop one mag out and insert another.

Take care,
Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sailor Moon:

The magazine release is the tab that hangs down between the front of the trigger guard and the back of the magazine. The magazines are not rotary, they are kind of like double stack if I'm thinking correctly. Pop one mag out and insert another.

Take care,
Bob
Thank you so much, I feel stupid, because this came about from wanting to buy a listed sellers item, their picture of the rifle is completely different than what the SKU/UPC code is. I was going by the picture which I took for granted that it's correct and matches the SKU/UPC of a rifle with the AI-style magazine. Now that I've looked up a picture of a legitimate AI-style using gun it's completely obvious it's a detachable magazine. Thanks for clearing that up though, no wonder there is no obvious answer on the web, because it's so obvious to begin with lol! Furthermore this question is closed and resolved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Sailor Moon, just to clarify, the rifle you linked is in 6.5 Creedmooor, and feeds from AI-pattern magazines. The magazine you linked isn't compatible with that rifle, it's for 6.5 Grendel, a different cartridge that can use AR-pattern mags.

So, to your original question, yes, the magazine on the RAP can be changed quickly. But for higher capacity, you won't be able to use the linked magazine. There are larger AI-pattern magazines available, like this one, although you'll find plenty of discussion on this board about which AI-pattern mag works the best. You may want to try a metal one to make adjusting the feed lips easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Sailor Moon, just to clarify, the rifle you linked is in 6.5 Creedmooor, and feeds from AI-pattern magazines. The magazine you linked isn't compatible with that rifle, it's for 6.5 Grendel, a different cartridge that can use AR-pattern mags.

So, to your original question, yes, the magazine on the RAP can be changed quickly. But for higher capacity, you won't be able to use the linked magazine. There are larger AI-pattern magazines available, like this one, although you'll find plenty of discussion on this board about which AI-pattern mag works the best. You may want to try a metal one to make adjusting the feed lips easier.
Thank you very much for pointing that out. I actually realized the rifle was in 6.5 Creed which is what I wanted, with the linked mag being totally incompatible. and because of that I have less than zero experience with AI style magazine's or the caliber. Basically I know nothing about 6.5 Creed nor the rifle I'm buying or AI magazines. I was raised with extremely traditional rifles, and old military ones, I wanted to do something very different. I am a reloader though, I have made many loads for my fave 7mm belted rem magnum, in my lefty Rem700 BDL, though belted has nothing to do with it really. I plan to reload and mess with this round a lot, as well as eventually buy or work on the trigger it came with. I don't even think I'll be able buy a single box of ammo for this to break the barrel in. But the rifle seemed awesome, different than the run of the mill American Rifle, I wish to God they'd stop calling their products beginning with American. Now when someone says they love their American firearm, you gotta ask very specific questions if it's a Ruger. I've never owned a Ruger rifle outside my family's model one, and I refuse to buy a gun for the price of a good used car, it's crazy nowadays. Even the stock/chassis 'upgrade' for this gun can cost as much as 3x what I paid for it. The stuff I grew up with, I'm in my late 20's, could take care of and do anything from fighting world wars, to repeatedly nailing pretty seriously long shots for it's caliber, or take the crazy rugged unfair conditions of the swamps here, I even got alligator bite marks on an old K98, from dangerous game to dangerous two legged enemy military hunting/sniping, I've never been let down. Is it hype and marketing that's caused the current conditions.? Like the Sub guns in semi auto that cost between $2k and $3k that every NRA magazines keeps reviewing, most annoying is when you pay under a billion dollars for a rifle they call it a beginners or starter gun. Did the Soviets with their M44 MosinNagant or Germans with their K98 choose starter guns to enter world wars with.? Lol Just what has the industry turned into, idk what I'm saying now but thanks, I do have a question if you'd like to try and answer it.

Must feed lips be changed in angle, bent or Whatever to fit this caliber? I don't really see 6.5Creed specific magazine's they all say 308, 6.5 and so forth will fit but some work must be done first. I haven't yet clicked on your links though, but I was curious about that. I'd rather not bend the lips of a possibly near $100 magazine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Haha you're right SM, "American" isn't the best name if you're looking to stand out. I hear you on the rest too, some old stuff really holds up better than these modern budget options. I've been working on this Ishapore that's probably in the same category you mention:

Anyway, as far as the magazines, for 6.5 CM you're probably fine with the OEM options. I don't have one myself, so I can't say for sure though. I mentioned adjusting the feed lips just as a polymer vs. metal mag detail, it's not something that's always required. The 6.5 CM RAP is a good choice and you'll have lots of magazine options for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts