Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks to have about 2 3/4" or more barrel - some kind of snub nosed big bore.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ehhh, hitting all around it. It's factory and comes as is. Only around 199 of them made then quit making them. Shoots about a .454.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cert's got it. Some call it the King of the Belly Guns.
Here it is in ivory (faux?)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
Doesn't look like there is a way to extract spent cases.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Yeah, what happened to the ejection rod?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The shorter barrelled revolvers are sometimes called the "Gunfighter" model (4¾") There was also a variant with a sub 4" barrel, without an ejector rod unofficially referred to as the "Sheriff's Model", "Banker's Special", or "Storekeeper".

Attachments

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Doesn't look like there is a way to extract spent cases.
Yeah, what happened to the ejection rod?
I've seen this in the "shopkeeper" models of SAA clones; I think you're supposed to either pull the cylinder pin and use that or use a pencil or other similar object.

Jim

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The shorter barrelled revolvers are sometimes called the "Gunfighter" model (4¾") There was also a variant with a sub 4" barrel, without an ejector rod unofficially referred to as the "Sheriff's Model", "Banker's Special", or "Storekeeper".
The Colt official marketing of ejectorless single action models went as such: the Sheriff's model was the 3", the Storekeeper was the 4". This was on the RE-release of these models as a marketing campaign, but if someone wrote the official book on the vernacular, Colt was the one that did it.

While the basepin can be used to extract cases, this requires a bit of work and nearly requires 3 hands - the base pin comes out, the cylinder comes out, the revolver goes on a table or in the holster or tucked in your armpit or between your knees... then you poke the rounds out with the basepin. The practical shootist carries an ink pen to stand in this service, or some other solution.

For my own ejectorless models, I made custom holsters with a built in caddy for an external ejector. It's still a two handed process, but ejecting single action revolvers always is, and I don't have to set down the revolver.

A few years from now when they're more available on the used market, I'm planning to retrofit a pair of 45colt original Vaqueros with parts from the 454C Bisley SBH's. I'll have to cut down the barrel to about 5" on my "long barrel" model to get rid of the soldered front sight and the ejector housing screw hole, but the other one will be a 2.5-3" ejectorless model, on a birdshead frame no less! A 3" 454C Birdshead Vaquero just seems too good to pass up!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guess I'm a bit ignorant here, why can't you just tilt her down, turn the cylinders and they fall out??

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
The one in the first photo has adjustable sights. The second photo doesn't have the adjustable sights.......................what gives?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts