Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my Super Blackhawk today and I noticed that my ejector housing was loose. I tightened it, then checked the other screws. Most were loose, and the forward grip frame screw was missing. I guess the .44 Magnum rattles everything loose.
I don't generally work on guns, is it okay to use Loctite on the screws?

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I have used Loctite blue on firearms and on my Harley.
Use it sparingly and it can be broken loose if you need to remove the screws later.

I learned the hard way that if you use Loctite blue on something you unscrew periodically and just keep adding more "blue" each time you reassemble, eventually you can get a frozen fastener that cannot be removed.

Never use Loctite red unless it's something you never plan on taking apart again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my new Ruger SBHBH a few weeks back. I tightened mine as well (ejector housing and grip frame screws that were also loose) and, while I don't use Loctite (yet).... I HAVE ADDED A STEP TO MY .44 CLEANING REGIMEN.

1) wipe down
2) chore boy if necessary
3) clean cylinder
4) swab barrel
5) wipe off again
6) lube and reassemble
7) tighten all screws

I check the screws after each shooting trip.... I'm sure blue Loctite wouldn't hurt since you will rarely if ever need to disassemble the grip or frame...

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
You can use the purple loctite that is made for small bolts and is not quite as strong as the blue. This is what I use on scope mounts.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use the blue on my scope mounts and rails. I looked for the purple locally but no one had it. I have read somewhere that you can soften any loctite with a solder iron (being careful and aware of rubber and plastic parts).

·
Registered
17,454 Posts
I use the blue on my scope mounts and rails. I looked for the purple locally but no one had it. I have read somewhere that you can soften any loctite with a solder iron (being careful and aware of rubber and plastic parts).
I couldn't find the purple locally either, but ebay had it with free shipping.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Loctite Blue #242 is all you need. It's all I ever use on my guns. Loctite Red #262 is way to strong to use on guns and small parts which will make it next to impossible to remove. The Red can be loosen but takes allot of heat which I would never apply that amount of heat to a firearm.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Yes Blue Loctite. Those of us that frequently remove the sideplate on S&W revolvers, use Blue, and it works great. But as stated previous, use VERY sparingly.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I blue loctite the ejector rod housing screw, because it has a habit of loosening up if I don't loctite it. The frame screws I don't loctite I just make sure they are good and snug.

I've never had a problem with frame screws backing out, unless they were loose to start with. I'd suggest making sure they were snug and take a screwdriver with you next time you go to the range. If they loosen back up after a bit of shooting then look at loctiting them in place.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Years ago I went through the S&W Factory Armours School, back then LE carried mostly revolvers. The instructors there told us to us clear fingernail polish on screws that may loosen. Has worked for me for over 30+ yrs. Even use it on scope base screws whwn mounting my scopes at home.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have been using the fingernail polish for over 20 years with perfect results. Screws will not vibrate loose, but removing them with a screwdriver is no problem. Just the right amount of adhesion for firearms.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have 11 different flavors of Loctite. I have no clear nail polish.

Thanks guys.

I build cars. They go 160 MPH. I get extremely cautious when I work on a gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts