Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a large box of bullets from a guy, lots of different weights and types of bullets for my .308. A good amount of 45Colt and balls...3 boxes of .457 for the Old Army but there were also boxes of .454 in the pile. Can I shoot them in the OA or do I need to go buy another gun like a 1851 Remington :)

if it helps, I no longer shoot with Crisco, I just use felt wads under the .457 balls nowdays, but maybe I could shoot the .454's with Crisco to prevent a chainfire or maybe a new toy is a better idea.

I told the wife I need to buy a 32 now since there were some 32 bullets in the box too, she didn't say no :)

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have owned several oas and 457 bullets shot slightly better but not enough to worry about. I still use crisco just because I have always used it. Even though other srtuff is better.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
As long as it shaves off some lead when you seat them. You don't want 'loose' projectile over your powder. I always use .457 for mine and never use lube either on the front. Powder, cream of wheat, ball, done. Add caps and we are ready to rock.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I used to own a replica 1858 Army and a buddy had a replica 1851 Navy and we both shot .451 and .454 balls from them with no problems. Obviously the .454s are a little harder to seat than the .451s.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Yes, I use my .454s in my replicas too. Bur .457 in the OA.

·
Registered
549 Posts
As long as it shaves a ring of lead as it is swaged into the cylinder, the .454 balls will be ok..........robin

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
The 454's won't work very well in the old army. 3/1000th's is quite a difference as far as I'm concered!

·
Registered
767 Posts
The 454's won't work very well in the old army. 3/1000th's is quite a difference as far as I'm concered!
They will work, but just not as accurately. I use a dab of grease even over the swaged ring-of-lead jobs to soften powder fouling, but use no filler or over powder wads as I get best accuracy with all the powder it'll hold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts