Ruger Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Maybe we should make this a sticky so someone doesn't ask about it every couple of months.
That would be great if people actually read the stickies before they posted the same questions over and over and over and over and over and . . . . . . . . well, you get the idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
most of the time....you are 100% right....but those quirky minis....:p. in most every case you would not want to shoot 5.56 in a gun stamped "223."

BUT as said, the mini 14 is CHAMBERED 5.56, not .223.....with the ONE exception of the target model.

what makes this odd....is most mini 4's are stamped .223 on the gun...:confused:...dunno why they did this, but it stated specifically on my 580 ranch manual that it shot 223/5.56...even though it was also labeled 223 cal on the receiver.

my newest tactical is actually stamped 5.56 NATO on the receiver. seems they finally fixed this. bout damn time. :cool:
Thanks for the photo. Since I have a scope on my rifle, I could not see it. Scope in the way and the manual was not exactly clear on that point. What mine says is "offered in two calibers: .223 Remington (5.56mm) and the 6.8mm Remington. It does not specifically say that it will shoot either the .223 Remington or the 5.56mm NATO. That is what it should have said in my opinion.

·
Exalted One
1,669 Posts
Thanks for the photo. Since I have a scope on my rifle, I could not see it. Scope in the way and the manual was not exactly clear on that point. What mine says is "offered in two calibers: .223 Remington (5.56mm) and the 6.8mm Remington. It does not specifically say that it will shoot either the .223 Remington or the 5.56mm NATO. That is what it should have said in my opinion.
Always helps to read the manual, it is pretty clear it can shoot either unless it is a Target rifle. There may be other handy things in the manual...like safety and maintenance...A firearm isn't like a new camera: those can't kill you or someone else.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Always helps to read the manual, it is pretty clear it can shoot either unless it is a Target rifle.
One would think this answer would end the debate..............but it won’t.
:p

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hmmm... I guess I should keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I'm talking about.
I would have said you're correct on this. I have been under the impression that what you stated is factually true. I guess I need to keep my thoughts and mouth closed down also.
The people I shoot with also believe that you can shoot 223 in a 556 Marked Barrel, but not 556 in a 223 marked Barrel. When I looked this up, this is also what I have found to be indicated as fact.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts