Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of this forum and I was wondering, a lot of you guys have said that you've been carrying for decades and have never been spotted. But if you carry for that long, do you think you can tell who else is carrying? I mean, when you walk into a restaurant or some public place, and you observe how people carry themselves, maybe what they're wearing, how their clothes fall around common carry spots, are there people you see who you think, 'yeah, that guy's packing.'? Just curious.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Usually when someone first starts carrying a firearm they are not use to the weight, positioning & discomfort of carrying, so they have a tendency to touch or readjust the firearm from time to time. This is dead give away, as most people don't walk around messing with their beltline. As they carry more and more, they get use to it and learn a good carry position, and quit messing with it, this is when it gets hard to tell. So on a veteran carrier I can only pick them out if I see the tip of a holster peaking out of a shirt, or an inside the waist band clip.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I didn't really notice until I started carrying myself... And now that I carry, I remember that I never noticed, so why would anybody else notice? Now I can spot the little buldges, and "breaks" in the material's natural flow, when I am doing threat assesment...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I imagine your "threat assesment" might also include a "possible ally" assessment too?

Man, that word 'ally' looks weird to me, is that right? Friend as opposed to foe.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yup-watch their eyes...they're not in a fog like most and they are paying attention...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huh. Still doesn't look right. Maybe because you most often see it in the plural, 'allies.'
(Although that sure doesn't seem to come up very often these days, does it. Thanks for nothin, Europe.)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I can often tell when others are carrying. My Dad, uncle, brother and brother-in-law are all cops. While growing up every adult member in my extended family, even my mom, frequently carried guns. My siblings and I grew up thinking that was the norm. The only person in my family that I could not tell if they were packing was Mom(small auto in her purse, very bad). Most houses have a place for guests to hang coats and hats. Ours had a place to hang guns. My sister's high school boyfriend, now husband, thought we were the coolest family ever. Probably why he became a cop too. We were good influences.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I live near Fort Hood, and a friend and I almost went to Lubby's that day it was shot up. For some strange reason we didn't go. Since I have been in corrections many years I have always carried something even if it was just a 2 shot deranger. But since the Lubby shooting I carry more that just a 2 shot deranger. I check everyone, if I even think they are packing then its packing. Most women are careful with their hand bag but the once that never leave without their hand bag I would say are packing. And I for one sure don't have a problem with them packing either.
As a matter of fact I just picked up a charter arms 38 sp the dang think is painted camo. looks more like a toy than a gun, but its all gun. Fits easy in the back or front pocket.

·
jlweems
278 Posts
I spot people from time to time, but it is usually the "mall ninja" types that are give aways.

With so many folks having phones, pagers, blackberries, ipods and such on their belts these days I think people are less apt to notice a bulge under a shirt.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
legacy38, you may be right about the pagers and such.
I really don't look for signs someone is carrying. I don't care, and would hope more did. I look for possible threats, ID through posture, loud unruly behavior, or first impression, sometimes I get the hair stand up on the back of my neck when I see or come in contact with someome. I pay particular attention to them, and usually place myself in a position to keep my eyes on them.
I never sit with my back to the open floor or entrances. Just something I've done for the past thirty years.
I have stopped people in the past and requested they cover up, once in a bank. The guy got embarassed and left. Others around him had noticed too and were obviously nervous.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
A loud "Do you have a permit for that GUN?" or "oh, you must be a policeman with that nice GUN on" would be a nice;) way to handle that---but better be ready in case he's neither!!! Our cops in Tx. often carry open on their belt, but hang a nice, big badge right beside the holster...only a fool would mistake it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts