Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new M77/44, and for the life of me I can't get the bolt in. Any advice?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Yes, there is a tiny little lever on the left side of the reciever that your fingernail needs to push as you slide the "aligned" bolt in. Make certain the safety is all the way forward in the off position too. That is a major point.

By aligned I mean the bolt lands need to be lined up. Just bet it is a safty selector keeping it from going in if you have your fingernail on the reciever frame.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something isn't right here....could the bolt have uncocked itself during shipping? Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am glad you figured that out. When I first got my NIB Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger I experiences two rather silly crises. First, I could not figure out how to get the bolt out, with the one hand I have to use. With a bit of fussing around I figured that one out. Then I could not get it back in until I discovered a sharp firm push works just fine.

Next, I was sure I had been sent a mismatched set of rings. I had received a No. 4 and a No. 5 Ruger ring with the rifle. I even called the seller, who shipped a second No. 5. While the replacement ring was in transit, I looked at the on-line Ruger Ring chart and discovered the M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger uses a No. 5 Ruger ring at the rear and a No. 4 Ruger ring forward. Did that make me feel stupid? What do you think?

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My 77/44 started with a Loupold AR Mod 1
Amazon.com : Leupold 115388 Mark AR MOD 1 Rifle : Sports & Outdoors

I then put that on a 77/357 and love it on there. Been using the fiber optic sight for some time then 3 weeks ago I thought I would try a cheapo Simmons 3-9x32 22 magnum scope on it I took off my 10/22. I figured what the hell, probably fall apart under the recoil.

Ha not at all, holds zero fine, so untill i buy anouther Loupold scope (made in America) I will use this $39.00 scope till all the Christmas gifts are paid off.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Thanks...what scope did you put on it?
I have a three of the 77's, including a .22LR. All of them will have a problem clearing the scope rear objective with the standard rings shipped, with several brands of optics. My 77/357 wears a Nikon 1.5X-4.5X so equipped. Not a problem as Ruger swapped them without a question.

My 77/44 wears a Weaver 1X-3X in standard rings, they work perfect. It also cleared a Leupold 1X-4X just fine.

The beauty of the 77/44 is the handy weight and size for wooded cover deer chasing. (My M336 lever guns feel like orphans). For shots under 150yds, 99% of shots, it cannot be beat. Accuracy with a 3X scope, (1X?), under those conditions is no better with a 14X scope.

I'm thinking I need a second one, maybe one of the Walnut/Blued distributor specials.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts