Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I disassebled my Mark III 22/45 for the first time today and I'm frustrated. Every time I try to push the main spring assembly back in, it pulls down and I have to start the procedure over again. What am I doning wrong. :(

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You dont have the hammer strut in the pocket in the mainspring housing. Tip the muzzle up, pull the trigger and HOLD IT there, watch the hammer strut, making sure it goes in the pocket in the housing, and close the mainspring latch

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
answered my own question

I'm going to answer my own question. :eek: I watched the Ruger video one more time and realized that when he presses the magazine release button with his right thumb, he also squeezes the trigger with his left thumb. However, he doesn't say to squeeze the trigger at this point, he only later mentions to pull the trigger 'again' when you do it 5 times and hold it. Once I pulled the trigger when releasing the magazine, I was able to correctly install the main spring. I sure hope this gun is worth the effort.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I disassebled my Mark III 22/45 for the first time today and I'm frustrated. Every time I try to push the main spring assembly back in, it pulls down and I have to start the procedure over again. What am I doning wrong.
What is happening is the hammer's partially cocked. When that happens, the mainspring has enough tension on it to push the bolt stop and MS housing out of the receiver. That is why when you squeezed the trigger simultaneously as you slowly closed the mainspring housing, the spring tension forced the hammer all the way forward instead of pushing out the bolt stop and MS housing and you were able to properly close the housing.

R,
Bullseye

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I'm going to answer my own question. :eek: I watched the Ruger video one more time and realized that when he presses the magazine release button with his right thumb, he also squeezes the trigger with his left thumb. However, he doesn't say to squeeze the trigger at this point, he only later mentions to pull the trigger 'again' when you do it 5 times and hold it. Once I pulled the trigger when releasing the magazine, I was able to correctly install the main spring. I sure hope this gun is worth the effort.
It's hard the first few times, but after that it comes apart and goes back together with hardly any effort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 22/45 over the weekend and today wanted to break it down and clean it .I wanted to see how bad it would be to take apart the gun after hearing how hard it was.Even when checking out at Cabelas the guy told me never take it apart.He had one and after 3 hours he got it back together ..then sold it.
Following the Ruger vids I got it apart no problem.Putting it back together was easy too..except when I tried to put the mainspring housing back in...it kept pulling out.I checked the barrel many times..it had to be on as far as it would go.I was getting very frustrated.So I hit the net and found this post of someone having the same problem I was having.I read the posts..and sure enough..it went right in.I felt the hammer was getting partially cocked but didn't understand why.Now I know,so thanks to the tips and info ..it sure helped.
I'm planning on taking it to the range tomorrow for the first time

·
Registered
341 Posts
I disassebled my Mark III 22/45 for the first time today and I'm frustrated. Every time I try to push the main spring assembly back in, it pulls down and I have to start the procedure over again. What am I doning wrong. :(
Do this;

1 Pull and hold the trigger (Insert magazine to pull trigger if you have a stock pistol, then remove magazine). While holding the trigger, look in the frame slot in back at the hammer. Use a pencil, punch, (or I just use the pointed mainspring lock bar) to push the hammer ALL THE WAY FORWARD.

2. Release trigger and insert the mainspring housing bolt stop pin.

3. Insert magazine and hold trigger again. Remove magazine. Point pistol upward and slide the mainspring housing into the frame leaving it 1/4-1/2 inch out. Release trigger, point it forward and slide the housing fully into frame against slight spring resistance. If no resistance or a lot of resistance, go back to step 1.

Here's the thing; The hammer must be fully forward in the uncocked position for the mainspring housing to mate with the hammer extension. Pointing the pistol upward allows the hammer extension to dangle in the right position to mate properly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Use these:

2245 Maintenance Page

The images are individually enlargeable by mousing over them and clicking. I've doenloaded and printed these to make my on-hand 22/45 manual which is by my side and dutifully referenced for each and every 22/45 disassembly/ree-assembly...

Best, Jon

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
The OP is still around.
I'm sure he got it sorted (17 month old thread).

·
Registered
2 Posts
So much thanks for this. Came up in a google search having the exact same problem. Took my pistol apart to install the mag disconnect bushing. Last part of putting it back together had me so frustrated. I don't plan to ever do that again, unless I decide to put the slingshot mod in it. But will be some time before I want to take this apart again.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Believe me I know the frustration. I watched the video's and still ended up calling Ruger CS for help. The young lady was very helpful and it went together quickly. Did the hammer bushing mod and no problems now. Love the gun. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help! I found this thread last night when I'd about given up hope. Even with YouTube and forums and step by step photos, I kept running into one problem after another: mainspring wouldn't close, it would close but without tension, it wouldn't cycle or fire, etc. This morning I realized the problem---I installed a Volquartsen trigger and the screw wasn't letting me pull the trigger to drop the hammer. I adjusted the screw one turn and then I could follow the directions and easily disassemble and reassemble the pistol. So in the off chance someone is also having tons of trouble despite all our references, especially if you installed an aftermarket trigger, make sure the trigger let's you fire so you can progress through the various steps.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
So much thanks for this. Came up in a google search having the exact same problem. Took my pistol apart to install the mag disconnect bushing. Last part of putting it back together had me so frustrated. I don't plan to ever do that again, unless I decide to put the slingshot mod in it. But will be some time before I want to take this apart again.
The more you take it apart, the easier it gets. The mag disconnect bushing is the biggest cure. Really crazy that a first class manufacturer would have come up with a "safety device" that makes the firearm virtually impossible to maintain. Even after 2 years, and many thousands of rounds fired, I take mine down fully every other range trip (about once a month) and at least once every two months, I either have a fallen hammer or the hammer strut gets out of position and either the bolt can't be pulled or the mainspring won't close. You would think after nearly 50 years of making these things, that they could find a way to make it easy, safe and reliable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts