Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had problems for the last 2 years keeping my rifle sighted in. It's about 20 years old and always shot straight. I've gone thru 2 scopes thinking that was the problem. I've disassembled and cleaned it and re loc-tightened the scope mounts several times. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong. I have no problem shighting it in it just won't stay in.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Make sure you take all other variables out of it. Use an appropriate rest, the same exact ammo, the same exact atmoshperic conditions, make sure that EVERYTHING is tight (receiver , v-block, barrel), keep good notes. Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ditch the scope and get a good set of iron sights. Otherwise you'll lose your mind and swear the problem is the weapon.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I've had problems for the last 2 years keeping my rifle sighted in. It's about 20 years old and always shot straight. I've gone thru 2 scopes thinking that was the problem. I've disassembled and cleaned it and re loc-tightened the scope mounts several times. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong. I have no problem shighting it in it just won't stay in.
Is this happening during a given range session or is it something you notice over a longer period of time, say over a change of seasons or weather conditions?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Need more than just, "it's not staying sighted in". Need some details on your set-up, what's been done, what's been consistent (ammo, shooting conditions, magazine, etc) not consistent... How are the groups when it's sighted in? How later on when it's not? What distance(s)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Groups are great at 25 yards; 1/2". Everything is stock other than the scope;no add on's. I use the same ammo and magazine all the time. I only use it for grouse hunting so I very rairly shoot over 25 yards. It usualy goes out of sight after my son rattles off 50 quick shoots so that tells me it's the scope or loose screws so i've bought a new scope and retightened the screws with loctight and still no luck. The only screw I forgot to loctight was the V block; I guess I need to try that. I do like the idea of good iron sights thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same problem when I had a BSA Sweet 22. Got a Nikon ProStaff Rimfire scope and no longer have this issue. In fact, I take the scope off after every shoot, and when I reinstall it, it still remains sighted in. Also, I found that the scope mounts on the Ruger provided base would loosen ever so slightly. Got the two piece Weaver rails at WallyWorld, work fine, rings never loosen up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts