Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just picked up my first blackhawk, but when I took it home I realized the front sight was leaning left. It looks as if the barrel wasnt threaded on enough. It is very noticeable to me and really bugs me. I haven't shot it yet so I dont know how it shoots, but I was wondering if I should send it back to ruger for repair? Should I even bother? Should I see how it shoots first? Should I take it to a gunsmith instead?
If anyone has an opinion or experience with this issue please let me know. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
It is too bad that Ruger (and Smith & Wesson) keep churning out revolvers with canted barrels.

It kind of comes down to your own personal tolerance level for imperfection. I have a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Flattop with a canted barrel, but it only took a few clicks of the sights to get it zeroed, and it shoots great ... so I decided I could live with the imperfection and now consider it part of that revolvers “character”. In the old days I would not have been able to do that ... I wanted everything to be perfect.

If Ruger finds that yours is out of spec they would certainly fix it for you. For me, that introduced the possibility of shipping loss or damage, or collateral damage caused by the repair process (changes in headspace, scratches, gouges, twisted frame?) so ... it really is a personal decision. It won’t matter to Ruger if it has been fired or not when they evaluate the gun, so you could try it first to see if it takes a lot of sight adjustment, and decide if the sight cant bothers you at the range.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Back in the 1980s, I had a Ruger SA with a canted front sight. It bothered me, but I did not send it back for repair. I just adjusted the rear sight and it was very accurate. I won 3rd place (production class) in a sihouette match with it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hard to believe that they are still doing that! I wanted an 'Anniversary' .44 Blackhawk and looked through my LGS inventory without being able to find a straight front sight. We got a number (6?) of Single Sixes for our Youth Program about the same time and several were so bad that we could not zero them so they had to go back to Ruger. I perhaps just got lucky when I ordered my .45 Flat Top, it's fine but I won't order another Ruger just because of this problem. I need to see it in hand before purchasing. To think that now, years later and after all the notoriety about it happening they are still sending stuff like that out the door? Shameful.
As has been mentioned, you need to decide a) if it is functional and b) if you can live with it (that can be a bigger challenge).

Bruce

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bought a Ruger GP-100 Wiley Clapp 3" revolver several years ago. It too, had a slightly canted barrel. Called Ruger about it, they emailed me a pick up order for UPS, sent it in and they fixed it - sent it back, barrel straight as it should have been.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I could not accept having a canted barrel on any gun. Have Ruger fix it, maybe they can get it right the 2nd time around.

Makes me appreciate and value my older guns more and more. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
As others have mentioned, it's up to you. Personally, new gun, I want it right. I'd send it back to get it fixed. Actually any gun, new or old, I'd want right and would send back.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would expect them to correct it or send me a new one. In sending it back to them it might make a difference in their quality control or lack there of in the future.
I am sure they will email you a postage paid return label and hopefully get it sent back promptly. Very nice gun...good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the first picture it appears as thought the blade is not in the center of the base. Send it back. Did you pay full price? If yes, send it back...

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,948 Posts
Always send them back. It helps you have a proper gun, and it helps Ruger identify production problems — including employees who need to find employment elsewhere.

I have had to fire my share of employees in the past. Trust me, production managers and quality assurance teams REALLY appreciate honest feedback from customers. It helps build a case against employees and gives the company objective data that they can point to when the terminated employee invariably grieves or files a suit for wrongful termination.

The situation may also be management who allow their employees to work without the machinery and tools they need, or the training they need, or the break time they need to stay mentally sharp. In that case, those supervisors need to feel the consequences to their actions as well.

I have a philosophy about this sort of thing... We are supposed to be forgiving and loving toward people, but when people don’t give 100% effort then we aren’t caring if we let them turn out shoddy work.

My motto is, “You aren’t being loving if you let someone suck at life.”

By the same token, you aren’t being a Ruger fan if you let them suck at revolvers. You owe it to the company to call attention to defects.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Can't tell by those picks if its off. Quite simple if you think it is Ruger is the only one that can fix it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
There is "NO" excuse for that,,none. Send it back. The only way they will know of the shoddy work if they have to keep repairing it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
This was the front sight base on my .45 convertible Bisley, offset and hard to get a quick sight picture because of the offset base. Left mark on sight base is center line of barrel and sight, right mark was the centerline of base.
Ruger replaced the barrel and sight.
Contact Customer service, they sent me a shipping label and repaired the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ruger is not the only company that can send out a canted sight. in 1986 I bought a brand new S&W 686 SS .357 for duty work. Half way through my qualification course, my targets all went to heck, and I barely qualified to carry it.

When cleaning it that evening I noticed that my front sight was about 15 degrees off. I was mad and really PO'ed that S&W would send something out like that.

Since we were remote from any S&W certified gunsmiths, I put the barrel between two oak boards in a vise and carefully realigned the front sight.

It was the torque of the bullets going through the barrel that turned the barrel. I squirted some LocTite between the barrel and the frame. and then very carefully where it would not show used a center punch to physically lock the barrel to the frame.

I went out early the next morning before my shift started and fired 50 rounds of hunting loads through it and the sights stayed aligned. I carried that handgun until we switched to Glocks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
There's a video on YouTube where a guy returned a new SBHB chambered in 454 three times for the same thing before they finally just refunded his money

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for all of your responses. I have decided to send it back to ruger. They sent me a prepaid label and everything. They said turn around time should be about 10 days. I'll post some pictures when I get it back. I'm hoping they make this right.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,948 Posts
Thank you for all of your responses. I have decided to send it back to ruger. They sent me a prepaid label and everything. They said turn around time should be about 10 days. I'll post some pictures when I get it back. I'm hoping they make this right.
If your experience is like mine, you’ll be impressed with the turn-around time, and they will make it right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same problem

I bought an SP101 in 9mm last year that had the same problem. I sent it back and instead of resetting the barrel, they sent me another new gun. Ruger's customer service is first rate, but quality control is not up to par these days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts