Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys Im in Lousiana and I think the law says to carry I have to have a CC permit, and I think that includes carrying my gun in my car. I wont ever be carrying on my person, just in my car and in my house. I personally do not think thats cause for going through the trouble of getting a consealed carry permit and I dont plan on it. Am I crazy, being a rebel, am I really being stupid about carrying in my car with out a permit? I really dont want to break the law, and I am not the type to do things against the grain, but having a permit to me is for people that will CC on thier person.

The only reason I will be carrying in my car is so when I get home at nights from walmart, and I have a BG in my house, he wont have my gun :) I will. Am I an anti something for thinking this way?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i don't know the laws of Lousiana but i certainly don't reccomend breaking them. Getting arrested, loosin' you gun, and who knows what else could cause a lot of harm.

Know a lot of folks that have a ccw permit and don't carry on their person. Many have it just to avoid a background check and delays at purchase. Others have it just to have a handgun in a vehicle.

In a perfect world, the 2A says shall not be infringed---this could be interpreted as having to obtain a permit is an infringment. But this is not a perfect world. that will be an argument for the courts years/decades on down the line.

In the mean time, "render unto Cesar what is Cesar's.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Louisiana
The below question and answer is from the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Unit FAQ page.
http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFAQ.pdf
CAN I CARRY MY HANDGUN IN MY VEHICLE?
Louisiana law does not expressly prohibit the carrying of handguns in vehicles. This is
a complicated issue. We suggest that you refer to Louisiana Revised Statutes (L.R.S.)
Title 14 Sections 95; 95.1; 95.2; 95.6; 95.7; 95.8. Information on these statutes can
be obtained at http://www.legis.state.la.us/ or in the “Laws and Rules” section of our web page.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Lived in La. for 20 years...any legal handgun could be carried in vehicle loaded or unloaded, concealed or not...glovebox, paper sack, or on the dashboard or carseat...travelers follow the same rules...just as long as when you get out it doesn't....on the person open carry only plainly visible in holster...-I don't think this has changed since this was printed Jan 2006---loaded rifles and shotguns should be in commercial guncases in passenger compartment or trunk...I always left it unzipped and no problem...moving to Texas was very restrictively different....some cities (read New ZOrleans) had more restrictive laws prior to 85...when the state passed a law saying no city could pass another law more restrictive than state law...

P.S.After researching the La. Legislature site...no changes...must not be out of car w/in 1000 ft. of school unless on adjoining private property....must not be in car with driver under 17 without written permission of parent in teen's possession...

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
In NH I can't have a loaded gun in my car. It's considered concealed and I need a permit. I have a permit so it's not a problem for me directly.

·
Registered
589 Posts
In Alabama even though open carry is not against the law as soon as you get in a vehicle you need a permit or it has to be stored unloaded out of reach of the passenger compartment or unloaded in a locked container.

On the positive side the only place state law prohibits caring concealed with a CCP is a public protest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

Louisiana
The below question and answer is from the Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit Unit FAQ page.
http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chFAQ.pdf
CAN I CARRY MY HANDGUN IN MY VEHICLE?
Louisiana law does not expressly prohibit the carrying of handguns in vehicles. This is
a complicated issue. We suggest that you refer to Louisiana Revised Statutes (L.R.S.)
Title 14 Sections 95; 95.1; 95.2; 95.6; 95.7; 95.8. Information on these statutes can
be obtained at http://www.legis.state.la.us/ or in the “Laws and Rules” section of our web page.
Well I read the page title 14 section 95 and with all those wordy paragraphs I can not find one instance that says you can not carry in your car with out a permit. http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78739 the one I find interesting is the frist thing that says

A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:
(1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person.

now does this mean if I get pulled over if I lay it out on the seat and tell the officer its there, that its not a consealed weapon in such case? And needing a permit isnt required? All of this is so hard to understand why they cant just shoot you a straight answer?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The law always looks on you with more favor if you have all the permits, stickers, labels that they sell. It would be wise to have a permit if all you carry is a pocket knife. Good luck.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol I have been carrying a pocket knife on my belt clip sinse I was a teen, I never take it off, even in public places, if I have the same chances of not getting into hot water with a handgun in my car I might be ok :)

But I do understand that its better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In New Orleans, I'd agree...those crooked jerks will hassle you WITH a permit-the rest of La. has always had loaded handgun carry anywhere in the car and it doesn't pose a problem as long as you're not doing anything wrong with the gun...it's been common that most folks carry in the car since at least 64 when I got there...
thebluesbox---"...on one's person" means on your body---you can carry the handgun loaded ANYWHERE concealed or not inside the vehicle...just don't carry it on your body, in your pocket, etc...on the seat covered or not is fine...in La., it was common in the 70's to step out when stopped...(in Tx, that's a no-no- )but it was done in La. so that the stopping officer not have to worry about a firearm at hand as much...I don't know what they teach now...that was so long ago we might have still used black powder, I forget.... we never had a problem with someone having a loaded handgun until they were carrying dope or burglarizing or DWI-then we often had other charges because of priors, anyways...it just wasn't a big deal there....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips sheep, I agree with New Orleans they would prolly arrest you for carrying a knife. But I stay clear of that place, always have. Matter of fact, I dont get out of town too much anyway to speak of. Anyway thanks for all the helpful insights guys I appreciate it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went pick up my KP95 today at the local gun shop and I asked the owner which is a heavy reputable gun dealer in town, he said in La. you dont need a permit to carry in your car because your automobile is an extension of your house and its legal to carry in your car in any place you want in the car loaded or not. He said to be sure and keep a copy of my purchase recipt to show it is my gun if ever stopped and questioned and all should be well.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
In Virginia, you need a permit to have a gun concealed in the car within reach. But if it's sitting out in the open on your dashboard, you don't need a permit. Odd, to me.

Anyway, I haven't found a comfortable carry option yet but I do have a permit and do carry in the car. But the laws are such that, even going to the range or something, I felt like there is a lot of potential to TRY and follow the law and still accidentally be in violation of it. You say it's out of reach, cop says it's not, whatever. I don't see the downside of getting the permit, just to cover a bunch of bases that would not be covered without it.

Sheepdog, back in the day, did you have speedloaders for flint??

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

Sheepdog, back in the day, did you have speedloaders for flint??
Sort of - actually he carried 2 quivers for his arrows!:D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
No respect...no respect I get....after all I've done....oh, well, when I put it that way...thanks, fellas..........

·
Registered
589 Posts
Originally posted by EddieF

In Virginia, you need a permit to have a gun concealed in the car within reach. But if it's sitting out in the open on your dashboard, you don't need a permit. Odd, to me.

A lot of states, Alabama included, gun laws are quite old and they were mostly concerned with concealing a weapon.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It can be very confusing, even if you have a permit. In CT you supposedly don't need a permit to transport a handgun between your home and business, or home and gunshop, and vice versa - provided it is unloaded and locked out of reach. If you HAVE a permit the gun is supposed to be on your person (or so I've heard). But even if you have a permit you can't transport a loaded long gun. Not that you'd have any reason to I suppose.

Except...when I was 22 I got pulled over on my Suzuki once for having no signal light. The cop routinely asked if I had any weapons. I said yes, and pointed to a bundle bungeed to the sissy bar. I had my jean jacket wrapped around an UZI. I thought the cop was gonna stroke out...he was not amused. I was coming from the quarry after a shoot and two rounds got seriously jammed sideways in the chamber, so technically it was loaded. While he was checking out my permit another policeman showed up, took the UZI to his trunk and cleared the jam for me. They gave it back and sent me on my way. In all the excitement he forgot to write me up for the signal light :)

Now that was over 25 years ago. I'm sure if that happened today I'd be surrounded by SWAT helicopters and tazzed to a golden brown.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.