Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking at the various threads with questions about semi auto malfunfctions for various reasons. What grease/oil to use? Cold or hot weather? Malfunctions, mafunctions, malfunctions. Why carry anything but a revolver?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just looking at the various threads with questions about semi auto malfunfctions for various reasons. What grease/oil to use? Cold or hot weather? Malfunctions, mafunctions, malfunctions. Why carry anything but a revolver?
My feelings exactly.

I recently got an LCP because I realized there is sometimes a need for a lighter, smaller gun in certain CCW applications, but for now, I'd prefer to carry my LCR whenever feasible.

I will try to keep an open mind, and learn to use and take care of the LCP properly. But the first time this thing starts FTF, FTE, etc. in an unnacceptable manner, it's going bye-bye, and my mind will then be closed to semi-autos as far as CCW is concerned.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I picked up my LCR 357 as my first carry choice because as a new shooter I wanted something simple that would function in difficult conditions. I am in the backcountry a great deal and I like the choice of a revolver because I know when I pull the trigger, it fires. I also liked the versatilty of ammo choice as well. .38.... .38+p... or 357 magnum.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I picked up my LCR 357 as my first carry choice because as a new shooter I wanted something simple that would function in difficult conditions. I am in the backcountry a great deal and I like the choice of a revolver because I know when I pull the trigger, it fires. I also liked the versatilty of ammo choice as well. .38.... .38+p... or 357 magnum.
On top of that you can feed it pretty much any brand of ammo out there, unlike some finicky semi-autos.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts

·
Banned
402 Posts
But the first time this thing starts FTF, FTE, etc. in an unnacceptable manner, it's going bye-bye, and my mind will then be closed to semi-autos as far as CCW is concer.
The first time may be the last time and more than you mind may be closed.
If you carry a semi auto use the right ammo and prove it out with many rounds,
Poo, Poo happens but you must trust a ccw weapon. My 1911 has gone hundreds and hundreds of rounds without failure, it's holstered condition one, cocked and locked
round in the chamber, safest way to carry it. If any doubts get a revolver. But know to the best of your ability that when you put it into action it's going to perform.
Do the hick cup drills anyway and no how to clear the weapon, practice the re-loading also. Lube is the last thing I worry about when wondering if my weapon will fire.
Use a good lube and just enough to lightly get the job done. It don't have to stain your cloths or slip out of your hand, Most lube should be wiped off and re-applied weekly for a carry piece. It don't last forever. I use a white Lithium grease with 2/3 mobile one synthetic oil. lithium grease will not melt or freeze, you will before it does, and the oil is a good lube. There are many good lubes that can be used, but they don't work if they aren't on the pistol. Learn the places the your weapon needs the lube and put it there sparingly. What ever you carry, if you don't trust it or worry it wont go bang
leave it home. Practice like your life depended on it--cause it does, and remember your half as good under pressure.
Why carry anything but a revolver?
if you need to ask that question--then carry a revolver.
Sometimes my answers are short and to the point, I mean no disrespect.

·
Banned
402 Posts
But the first time this thing starts FTF, FTE, etc. in an unnacceptable manner, it's going bye-bye, and my mind will then be closed to semi-autos as far as CCW is concer.
If you carry a semi auto use the right ammo and prove it out with many rounds,
Poo, Poo happens but you must trust a ccw weapon. My 1911 has gone hundreds and hundreds of rounds without failure, it's holstered condition one, cocked and locked
round in the chamber, safest way to carry it. If any doubts get a revolver. But know to the best of your ability that when you put it into action it's going to perform.
Do the hick cup drills anyway and no how to clear the weapon, practice the re-loading also. Lube is the last thing I worry about when wondering if my weapon will fire.
Use a good lube and just enough to lightly get the job done. It don't have to stain your cloths or slip out of your hand, Most lube should be wiped off and re-applied weekly for a carry piece. It don't last forever. I use a white Lithium grease with 2/3 mobile one synthetic oil. lithium grease will not melt or freeze, you will before it does, and the oil is a good lube. There are many good lubes that can be used, but they don't work if they aren't on the pistol. Learn the places the your weapon needs the lube and put it there sparingly. What ever you carry, if you don't trust it or worry it wont go bang
leave it home. Practice like your life depended on it--cause it does, and remember your half as good under pressure.
if you need to ask that question--then carry a revolver.
the first time this thing starts FTF, FTE, etc. in an unnacceptable manner,
What FTF or FTE is acceptable ?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Most of the problems with semi-autos are with 22's. I have a few and have occasional problems with them but NEVER with my 9mm semi. Hot or cold it shoots everytime.

But for plinking I do like revolvers and lever actions.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How true! My mind could also be splattered all over the ground!

What FTF or FTE is acceptable ?
I feel that some FTF's & FTE's may be acceptable during the initial break in period on a new weapon and with testing different brands of ammo. Not all ammo types may work well with a particular semi-auto.

Seriously though, I have no attentions on carrying the LCP until it is well broken in with at least several hundred rounds through it and with the right ammo (Hornady CD's are supposed to work well with this gun).

Any FTF's or FTE's I start getting after that period that are not my fault and not due to a change in ammo type, and the LCP is going up for sale or trade.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I have an LCR .38. I stopped carrying it because it would cycle with the cylinder open. Ruger fixed it, but I'm less than confident in it.

I carry a Sig 290, 238 or 239 because I shoot any of them better than any of my revolvers except perhaps my GP100, which is larger and heavier than I want to carry.

I have never had any type of malfunction with any of them through thousands of rounds, in a variety of weather.

Quality ammunition in a quality semi-auto and you'll be fine.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I agree with that as long as its a 9mm or bigger. That is not to say I've never carried a 22 or 380 for self defense but I have had problems sometimes just plinking with them.

The four 9mm's I own have never failed me. One is a P-38 made in 1943, a Beretta M9, a Springfield XD, and a Sig 226.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have an LCR .38. I stopped carrying it because it would cycle with the cylinder open.
Can you explain to me what this is?

I have never had any type of malfunction with any of them through thousands of rounds, in a variety of weather.

Maybe so, but there does seem to be an alarming amount of complaints concerning issues with semi-autos on gun forums, and almost none for revolvers.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I go back and forth. I have a KLCR, a J Frame, an SP101 DAO, and a Taurus 905 9mm revolver. I have 2 LC9s, 2 LCPs, and a Bersa Thunder Plus. The LC9 has been flawless with over 400 rounds thru the one I shoot. Its very accurate, and easy to control. The LCP has had feeding issues and I dont trust it, plus its difficult to shoot. The LCR is tricky to handle, even with .38s. The SP101 handles powerful ammo much better than the LCR, but I like to pocket carry, and is a bit too heavy for the pocket. The revolvers are trustworthy, yes, but limited to 5 shots. Is that enough? Maybe... Then I start to think about my LC9. 8 rounds of 9mm in a package not much bigger than my J frame. My J frame is .38 special, but is my favorite revolver. So in my opinion, the LC9 has the advantage. I also have a pair of P95s that have never malfunctioned, but are too heavy to carry. My Bersa has never malfunctioned either, but I would rather have 9mm instead of .380. Centerfire autoloaders that are broken in, clean, and lubricated, are very reliable. For someone who isnt a dedicated shooting enthusiast, maybe a revolver is a better choice. I guess Im rambling, but its nice to have more than 5 shots, whether I need them, or not.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The LCP has had feeding issues and I dont trust it, plus its difficult to shoot.
Some people claim they had no problems with the LCP. Can you tell me how many problems you had and with what types of ammo?

As far as being difficult to shoot, the LCR isn't exactly easy either, so I'm ready for that.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
Can you explain to me what this is?
Open the cylinder on a revolver, then pull the trigger.

The trigger should lock and not be able to cycle, however on a number of LCR .38's they would cycle.

That could potentially allow the cylinder chambers to mis-align with the barrel, which would allow a bullet to fire into the frame.

When my gun was returned a plastic screw on the cylinder latch had been replaced with a metal pin. I dry fired it several thousand times, without failure, then gingerly began putting a few rounds through it, checking lock up between each.

So far so good, but... :eek:

complaints concerning issues with semi-autos on gun forums
Yep, the modern day equivalent of the backyard fence. :rolleyes:

I suspect there are probably 10 semis for every revolver represented on forums, so expect 10 times as many complaints. Both are mechanical devices which can malfunction.

There may be more parts in a semi, but I've broken springs, pauls, arms, and firing pins on revolvers and seen timing and lockup problems.

A great deal of the "problems" with guns often can be traced back to operator error. My gun shoots low left, my sights are off, (trigger control) Failure to Eject (limp wristing or worn recoil spring), Light strikes (uncleaned striker channels).

Buy quality, maintain, clean and practice and most guns are reliable, regardless of the type of action. Remove any of those four and not so much.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You have to be comfortable with what you carry. I have a 38spl pocket revolver I care in my front pocket and I have a small semi auto I carry at the same time. I've got to where I trust it as much as that 38, so the 38 stays home or in the glove box. That little auto, a 45 is small enough for pocket carry so why not. But I broke it in and learned to clear it no matter the issue. I practice with all my autos so its mussel memory. I haven't had a issue yet but its second nature. Slap the mag, rack the slide, simple stuff and when practiced its fast and fluid. I've yet to have a issue with it but I can clear it without thinking. Why bother? Well most auto's carry more than five rounds and for me the round is bigger. You can have trouble with anything and if you don't trust it don't carry it, but be ready for what ever. If I'm real real close I always have a real sharp knife too:cool:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a S&W 4586 and a Colt 1991 series 80 that have never malfunctioned. My Ruger P94 has only failed when very dirty and that with reloads. My other semi autos have pretty much malfunctioned occasionaly but not all the time. Just enough that I don't trust them for self defense.
I have carried and regularly trained with revolvers for nearly 50 years. I love my semi autos but I trust my revolvers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Simplicity and reliability are #1 on my list. I want it to be able to withstand abuse if I were to drop it, etc. For these reasons and more I opt for a straight blowback DAO auto with no 'safeties' rather than the much more complex and subject to failure revolver.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Some people claim they had no problems with the LCP. Can you tell me how many problems you had and with what types of ammo?
Well for one, it absolutely hated TulAmmo. My LCP was a single shot with that crap. I gave that box away to a friend who has a Sig 238 and he fired it without issue. I also has issues with Federal FMJ, not nearly as many, maybe a couple Fail to Feeds with each box of 50. I shot 4 boxes of the Federals. It shot well with Federal Hydra Shok and Hornady Critical Defense, but I was disappointed in the way it recoiled and havent really given it a chance to prove itself. 380 ammo is expensive and I really dont want to shoot hundreds of more rounds thru the LCPs to build my confidence in them. I have shot cheap FMJ Factory ammo, expensive Self Defense ammo, and reloads thru my LC9 and it just keeps firing and asking for more. I see way more complaints about the LC9s than the LCPs, but that hasnt been my experience.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Maybe so, but there does seem to be an alarming amount of complaints concerning issues with semi-autos on gun forums, and almost none for revolvers.
Don't use forum activity as a way to estimate the extent of a problem without a big dose of salt. One person with an issue or grudge can make a lot of posts. Can be very misleading.

Not saying revolvers aren't great choices for CCW, but most of the police departments across the country wouldn't be using semis if they weren't very reliable.

As for me, I have more confidence in one of my 1911s than any revolver. I can point a 1911 quicker and more naturally than a revolver, then fire eight shots more accurately and with more speed than than any DA revolver. Of course, I do shoot my 1911s a great deal and that is part of where I get the confidence. I would not feel uncomfortable carrying a revolver, of course, but when I reach for a gun to carry, I have more faith in my ability to handle 1911s.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts