Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fairly new member, but in reading thru some of the posts I seem to frequently encounter a reference to grabbing a gun "as I go out the door." To me, that begs the question...don't you carry around the house?

Let me clarify, because it probably makes a difference. I live near a large city, where some of the BGs supplement their welfare checks by going out to the suburbs and engaging in what the media calls "home invasions." They kick down someone's door, steal everything they can carry, and do unpleasant things to anyone they find in the house. These are not random or occasional occurrences. On average, it happens two or three times a week within fifteen miles of where I live.

I have several guns scattered around my house, but there are places where my wife or I could be isolated without a gun if the home invaders came in at just the right time. So we're both armed 24/7, and I mean literally 24/7. We both sleep with mouse guns under our pillows, although most home invasions happen during daylight hours.

Any, ahhh...uninvited visitors are going to get a warm welcome at our house.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Being from IL, I cannot legally carry all the time. i have a small biometric safe safely secured in my car. It contains my P229, my holster, and 3 mags and an extra box of hollow points. The second i get in my car, my gun is legally secured, the second i get home, my gun is on my belt but it is concealed. I have had an intruder in my house, I told myself that day, i will never be in that position again.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have a home gun and a carry gun. The carry gun stays in the bedroom after I get home and the home gun I carry around the house. It gets set down often, so if I go to the other end of my small house I still have a gun there. Just like during the day, I would feel weird if there wasn't a gun very close at home at all times.
Looks like Illinois will be forced to allow concealed carry before to long.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I carry 24/7 here in and around Jacksonville (Murder Capital of FloiDUH) However I also carried in California..(which they say is illegal) I knew several of my friends carried there as well..If I had to be a law breaker to protect my family guess what I choose..

wPm

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am also an IL resident who unloads his gun when he leaves the property. I live out in the country however and I keep a 1911 in the nightstand with a full mag and empty chamber. My bedroom is upstairs and in the unlikely event of a break-in I should have time to be ready. I'm not holding my breath for what will probably be a may issue carry permit with draconian restrictions here, I'm moving to Iowa. The irony is that where you can carry, there is less need.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I feel for those that have a need for 24/7 carry. If my area were that bad, I'd want to move elsewhere, if I could.

As is, I should carry more, and don't. Only when I have to be in an "iffy" area, usually. Yet the other day I was in my usual gas station, and someone had just tried to rob it. No gun shown, he just grabbed cash out of the drawer and ran.

Don't know if I could have made any difference, it was so fast, but it could have just as easily been more than a grab and dash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have started carrying full time from when I put my pants on til I go to bed and then the bedside gun is at hand.

I feel now that I have started carrying I will never go without. I didn't realize how comforting it was til last night when the wife and I walked out of the mall into a huge parking lot filled with people and not lit well how much having the streamlight and the ccw handy made me feel more confident.

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
Yuup. I can't at work, but if I am any where else you betcha. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I carry 24/7 and i try to never go into gun free zones. I also have a Ruger P944 with me whenever i am at home. I live in a really safe area, but but you never know when or where bad things can happen.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
MA law basically says it has to be "under your direct control" i.e. on you, or locked up.
So it's on me from the time I get dressed until I go to bed when it's in a fast access safe.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Agreed. 24/7. I too live in a fairly safe area but crime doesn't only happen in certain zip codes. I have one in arms reach or on my waist. Also home gun has a strobe tactical light on it. Ain't digging for a flashlight or trying to get it out of a gun box if something happens. Pillow holster keeps it where I have instant access. No Biometrics or digital safe going beep beep and door falling open "bang" on the end table. No noise made on my side and see anything moving strobe the bastard to identify him. And rest depends on them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed. 24/7. I too live in a fairly safe area but crime doesn't only happen in certain zip codes. ....
I also live in a "fairly safe area". As most of my Investigator work is centered on Criminal Cases in Detroit (just a few miles away) I get to see up-close the reasons for wanting to carry often. Obviously the current events in the news of shootings in movie theaters, schools, malls, etc, and many thought to be in those "fairly safe areas".... lends credence to the fact of crime being limited to "certain zip codes".

·
Registered
255 Posts
I 'always' have a gun accessable... which is to say that while I always carry outside of the house (even mowing the lawn), I dont 'always' carry inside. But, I 'do' always have a gun literally within arms reach even in the bathroom/shower.

Its got nothing to do with living in a bad area (I do not)... but if Friday's incident teaches us anything, it should be that bad things 'can' happen anytime and anywhere.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts