Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some ccw posts online, and was wondering what you fine Ruger folks think. There are alot of people out there that have said things like "If I could, I'd carry a .50 everywhere." or "I'd bring a howitzer with me if I could, but until then I'm happy with my .380." etc. etc.

What do you think? If open carry, of any weapon, were legal everywhere, what would you pack? Desert Eagle? Buckshot loaded shotgun? AR with a drum mag? PKM with flip out bayonet?

Personally, I'd still pack my S&W 686, though I'd probably change holsters.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
My 1911 or CW45 are just fine for every day carry. But i'd keep a tricked out 870 and my favorite mini l4 with plenty of ammo in the back of my pov. Just hope you can fight your way back to you long arms. Open carry of long arms in this day and age is a little much, but that depends on the hood. Situational awareness goes along way.:cool:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't like to advertise I'm carrying , even if we could all open carry I would still carry my LC9 .

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've been on a few of these CCW sites and it seems that there are a lot of wannabe robocops on them that want to bring a hand grenade to a bar fight not considering the collateral damage. Some of their ideas are pretty appalling. Go with what you are comfortable with in the environment you will frequent. If you are worried about not having enough gun, just take into consideration that no one in their right mind would want to be shot with any round. I'm 225 lbs, and I fear being shot by a .25 just as much as a .44. they can both reach your vitals. I stick with my Sig P230 because that gun is most comfortable for me to conceal, and it's very controllable. I like this Ruger forum the best because it seems that the folks here are more willing to help and less likely to criticize. Enjoy the forum!:D P.S. If open carry was allowed, I'd opt for my Glock model 22....

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
If it were open carry, I think I'd go with my 6" GP100.
However, I reserve the right to change my mind after I pick up my 4" Redhawk next week. :D

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,322 Posts
First priority is to avoid the situation that requires a weapon.

Second priority is to have a radio to call in air strikes.

Tanks and field artillary are great backups.

Friendlies with lots of guns and ammo are good backups.

A rifle with lots of ammo is better than any handgun.

A large caliber handgun is better than a small caliber handgun.

A small caliber handgun is better than a slingshot.

Slingshots are better than throwing rocks.

Running may be your best option.

I would still conceal carry what I conceal carry now, which is one of my 1911s in .45 ACP or a Glock G20SF in 10mm.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well, if you're going to dream don't short yourself. Dream of a place where you don't NEED to carry.

I don't advertize that I'm carrying because I don't want somebody to think they need to challenge me. On the other hand, I don't work *real* hard to hide it either.

I carry OWB all the time. When I take my coat off I try to be discrete but if somebody happens to see, then so be it. I hope folks will learn something. But I do wear a totally black pistol on black holster. For really open carry; SS GP with tan holster.

Picking a CCW piece? Select something you are good with and work the concelment issues out. Shot placement is everything. So carry what works for you (and no, there isn't a universal answer) and what your EFFECTIVE with. What this piece is will change as your tastes and skill improve. So if you're just starting out don't plan always using your starter gun.

Dealing with the other issues of CCW is easier than dealing with a CCW that doesn't get the job done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I be loving my LCR .38 loaded with Hornady Critical Defense .38 +p.

OK, some will say its underpowered and "just" 5 shots. But I believe it's more than powerful enough and I don't believe I'll be engaged in any Urban Rambo shoot outs.

At 13.5 ounces (unloaded) its a dream to carry in my Simply Rugged pancake holster and I love the trigger action. Plus, the beauty of a revolver is just aim and shoot.

Works for me, BUT everyone is different and has to find his/her comfort and trust level when selecting a carry firearm.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
First priority is to avoid the situation that requires a weapon.
Second priority is to have a radio to call in air strikes.
Tanks and field artillary are great backups.
Friendlies with lots of guns and ammo are good backups.
A rifle with lots of ammo is better than any handgun.
A large caliber handgun is better than a small caliber handgun.
A small caliber handgun is better than a slingshot.
Slingshots are better than throwing rocks.
Running may be your best option.
I would still conceal carry what I conceal carry now, which is one of my 1911s in .45 ACP or a Glock G20SF in 10mm.
Well said! From what I have, I would probably carry my 2.25" Ruger SP101 along with several speedloaders! It's accurate, natural to the hand...and I love the .357 mag round! I'd feel comfortable just about anywhere with it! That being said...if I could afford one...I would pick up a Ruger SR1911 and carry that!

·
Super Moderator
21,477 Posts
Depends where I was. In the east my GP or Blackhawk 45 or even SP but in the west my redhawk in 44 mag or Blackhawk 45. I open carry in the woods for personal protection from the 2 legged variety I CC either a 38 Spl or 357 Mag

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I was reading some ccw posts online, and was wondering what you fine Ruger folks think. There are alot of people out there that have said things like "If I could, I'd carry a .50 everywhere." or "I'd bring a howitzer with me if I could, but until then I'm happy with my .380." etc. etc.

What do you think? If open carry, of any weapon, were legal everywhere, what would you pack? Desert Eagle? Buckshot loaded shotgun? AR with a drum mag? PKM with flip out bayonet?

Personally, I'd still pack my S&W 686, though I'd probably change holsters.
Don't you think it's rather stupid to say you would "carry a 105 howitzer"? As a KISS adopter, it would seem the individual would carry what they are most confident and proficient with to protect their life. It ain't going to be a .50cal

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have carried everything from a JA-22 to a Super Blackhawk 44mag with a 7.5" barrel. It depends on the situation and how I am dressed. I carry one of three guns now I have mellowed in my old age. I have a P-3AT I carry when it's really hot or the chances of trouble are very slim. I have a P95 and a 357 mag Blackhawk with a 4.5" barrel that I carry in bad areas, on road trips or other situations when I don't know what I am getting into. I carry the Blackhawk on road trips. I have a nice shoulder holster for it and I can easily draw it while strapped in by a seat belt.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
An sr1911......the same thing I carry concealed.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Short of carrying a rifle, if PA had an open carry law, I would carry..........

My 4" .44 Redhawk! It's short enough to be handy, but powerful enough to get pretty much any job done you would need a handgun for.

Why do I need 18 rounds of 9mm, when I can carry 6 .44's and a bunch of speedloaders:)

I can easily reach out to 100+ yards with my .44, and if I had to 200 yards or so and still have the velocity to be effective. It will punch through vehicles, body armor (bad guys are wearing body armor now:eek:) but still not be too recoil heavy that I can't make quick follow up shots.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts