Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your work does not give you an employee handbook and you break a rule in it can you be fired for it? (I live in AZ so this doesn't really apply to me here cause we are an at will state). I don't carry inside the building and leave the gun in my car. But yesterday I was messing around on the shared drive and came across an employee handbook that said "no guns or weapons are allowed on the premise". There is not a "no firearms allowed" sign on any of the doors. Especially not on the one I enter.

My question is if you don't know about the rule are you still breaking it? And can i get in trouble for having it in my car on company ground?

·
Registered
13 Posts
1st off, ignorance is no excuse for violating the law (or Company policy).
However,
If the gun is legally stored in your vehicle and you don't expose it at any time you are not violating any fed, state or local regulations they will have a very difficult time firing you for having it. Your automobile is by law an extension of your home, and is generally protected under castle doctrine.
I just went through this exact argument where I work, and there is nothing legally they can do about the gun I keep in my vehicle while its in the company parking lot.
If they fired me over having a gun in my vehicle, they would probably have to fire another 25% of the work force for the same offense. That wouldn't work so well in a shop with over 125 employees.

I also have a current concealed weapons license which extends that right to keep a weapon with me in my vehicle separate of company policy.

So far, the courts have sided with the gun owner and castle doctrine on this issue as well.

You might get into some trouble, but usually a reprimand and open discussion suffices to resolve any further issues about possession.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check your state's laws. Where I'm from, there's a clear law that states "A public or private employer may not prohibit any customer,employee or invitee from possessing a....fire arm inside a locked, private motor vehicle."

·
Delta2
1,588 Posts
It's illegal by statute in my state to carry where I work :mad:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You live in Arizona? Work for Ruger. I'm sure you won't have to worry about that anymore... Lol :D

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sorry to say, no work carry for me here. Anyone who can do that is lucky.

It's both sad and ironic that some of the places were shootings happen most, workplaces and schools, are two of the places where most people are barred from carrying. :mad:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Here in Georgia, a vehicle is an extension of your home and no carry permit is required by law. However, you must have permission from the land owner or agent of the business property to carry on your person or stow in your vehicle. In my opinion, land owner's rights trump weapon's carry rights. There are several that carry in the building where I work and are very open to discuss but I am not willing to take that chance.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
No legal ccw at work unless you are teh owner or lesse no designation to an employee and illegal the moment you leave your property like to go to the bank.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to say, no work carry for me here. Anyone who can do that is lucky.

It's both sad and ironic that some of the places were shootings happen most, workplaces and schools, are two of the places where most people are barred from carrying. :mad:
+1 here...it sucks!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I live in Iowa we can't carry in the post office. But chrisLCR is right. There are many places where shootings occur. And since Christmas is coming up sounds like a good place to avoid. IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My employer has terminated employees for having an unloaded firearm in the trunk of their personal vehicle parked on the premises more than once. My employer even once terminated an employee for having an unstrung recurve bow in the trunk of their personal vehicle on the premises (management saw him show it to someone off premises during his lunch break, put it back in his trunk and then drive back to work parking on the premises).

For my employer, ignorance of the 'no weapons anywhere on the premises' is no excuse: no exceptions, no common sense. Violation is an immediate termination.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If the gun is legally stored in your vehicle and you don't expose it at any time you are not violating any fed, state or local regulations they will have a very difficult time firing you for having it.
But then there's the whole issue of living in an "employment at-will" state like Florida, where the employer can term you for any reason that isn't protected or otherwise in your employment contract. Might not get you for the gun, might still get you for the color of your socks.

"Yes, you're correct, Florida does not allow us to fire you for having a gun in your car on our parking lot. But I really don't like that sh!t-eating grin on your face, so badge, please."

My ex-wife is an HR director, she can -always- find a good reason to term someone, with little if any legal consequence.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If it's in your car, leave it there. Don't wave it around to co-workers on lunch or breaks, and don't even let them know you have it in there. Your employer has no reason to look in your car or even care what's in there.

Funny, I get in trouble if I DON'T have my gun at work.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I couldn't carry at work when I was working but I sometimes will go in to have lunch with some of the gang. Funny thing is as a visitor they have no rules.

·
Registered
586 Posts
no one knows i have a gun so i dont worry about it- concealled is just that. until i need it, it cant be seen.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'm at work right now with my LC9 tucked at the 6 o'clock position.
Working in the family business does have some advantages:D

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
In spite of what some internet lawyers are telling you, check with your employer. The company that I am retired from has offices located in at least twelve states. As such, they have a consistent policy for guns. No matter which state you live/work in, no guns on campus. They acknowledge that they will . . not . . search your car, but advise you not have one there.

I think it best to remember that your job . . may . . depend on your following instructions. In fact, in most companies, a willful disregard for published policy, in and of itself, is grounds for termination. Think about that. You ignore ANY clause of company policy and you can be fired, just for violating A policy. :rolleyes:

Your choice.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
In spite of what some internet lawyers are telling you, check with your employer. The company that I am retired from has offices located in at least twelve states. As such, they have a consistent policy for guns. No matter which state you live/work in, no guns on campus. They acknowledge that they will . . not . . search your car, but advise you not have one there.

I think it best to remember that your job . . may . . depend on your following instructions. In fact, in most companies, a willful disregard for published policy, in and of itself, is grounds for termination. Think about that. You ignore ANY clause of company policy and you can be fired, just for violating A policy. :rolleyes:

Your choice.
I don't think I've worked with anyone that followed every rule. We all break the rules, just differant rules.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
In Wisconsin, I believe we can keep a gun in our locked vehicles on the employers property, but your not supposed to carry if the employer posts the Anti-CCW sign.

At least that's the way it is where I work.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.