Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to long ago I got an LCP for those times where my normal CCW choices were still to large for my dress. The LCP fits in ALL my pockets (jeans, dress pants, gym shorts). The intent was for it to be rarely carried, just for those 'quick grab' times.

I've noticed it's seems to be the gun I always grab now, even when my clothing supports one of my others that I like better, shoot better, more potent caliber, etc etc etc? I think it's simply because the LCP is SO easy to carry.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Nothing wrong the LCP, I just realized how long it's been since I carried my XDs or LCR!

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I talked myself into how adequate a Beretta Bobcat in .22LR was for carry. It took a lot of malfunctions to convince me I was fooling myself.

I really just liked how nice and small it was for carry. I didn't like the idea I needed something bigger to protect myself. That wasn't so easy and comfortable!

After some serious thought and research, I went with a LCR-357. A little bigger, but actually a lot more comfortable in knowing I can truly protect myself.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Not to long ago I got an LCP for those times where my normal CCW choices were still to large for my dress. The LCP fits in ALL my pockets (jeans, dress pants, gym shorts). The intent was for it to be rarely carried, just for those 'quick grab' times. I've noticed it's seems to be the gun I always grab now, even when my clothing supports one of my others that I like better, shoot better, more potent caliber, etc etc etc? I think it's simply because the LCP is SO easy to carry. Anyone else have similar experiences? Nothing wrong the LCP, I just realized how long it's been since I carried my XDs or LCR!
I'm like that...except it's with my 2.25" SP101 in .357 Mag...bought it as a Christmas present to myself in December 1994...been hangin' with it ever since! It's accurate and, best of all, I'm comfortable with it and I know I can hit what I shoot at with it!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I know what your talking about. I have a 1911 I bought as my first ccw weapon. It was heavy and was hard to carry in warm weather so it ended up in the glove box most of the time. I then picked up a Charter Arms Off Duty 38+p. It went everywhere with me in my front pants pocket, even in cooler weather when I had my 1911 under my jacket holstered. I just liked the feel of my hand on a weapon knowing I could clear it faster than the 1911. Then i picked up a Kahr CW45. It first took the place of my 1911 in a paddle or iwb holster. I then found the little 45 fit my front pocket too. In a DeSantis pocket holster its just so easy to grab and stick in a pocket on my way out the door. Now the 38 sits in the glove box. But in cooler weather it goes inside the waste band easy with the desantis and the 38 goes back in the front pocket. I never feel under gunned with my CW45 and extra mags are easy to drop in a pocket too. I practice often getting it clear of clothing and pockets. Thats a big deal, practicing drawing and clearing clothes on way to target. You can't do that enough with whatever you carry.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I started carrying with an LCP, then tried an LC9 which was always harder to pocket carry. I have since started carrying an LCR which gets the nod 95% of the time. That other 5% my LCP goes back in my pocket for those special occassions where I need a smaller/lighter gun.

·
Wandering Sandlapper
3,282 Posts
I used to swap off between my Sig 239 and an LCR, then P238 for pocket carry.

Picked up a P290. It shoots just as well as the P239 and with the extended mag I get the same capacity, so I find myself just adding the longer mag when I belt carry the 290.

Comfortable and familiar in all dress situations, can't beat that!

·
Registered
508 Posts
You guys must have small hands and big pockets. I would have to use two fingers like chopsticks to get a pistol out of any normal jeans. Not quick nor safe.

P239 IWB usually. Sometimes a P22.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I started riding my bicycle to work about a month ago and my G17 was a little heavy and bulky to carry while riding the bike...Until I figure out a better way to carry the G17 while riding the bike, I am using my SR22.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Not to long ago I got an LCP for those times where my normal CCW choices were still to large for my dress. The LCP fits in ALL my pockets (jeans, dress pants, gym shorts). The intent was for it to be rarely carried, just for those 'quick grab' times.

I've noticed it's seems to be the gun I always grab now, even when my clothing supports one of my others that I like better, shoot better, more potent caliber, etc etc etc? I think it's simply because the LCP is SO easy to carry.

Nothing wrong the LCP, I just realized how long it's been since I carried my XDs or LCR!
That's exactly why I got an LCP, for those hot summer days with shorts, thinner dress pants, etc. Keep in mind though that you shouldn't consider yourself well armed with a .380acp, but it's a lot better then throwing rocks. Whenever clothing or weather permits, you should at least be carrying a .38spl+p snubbie.

I think it is a bad habit to get so comfortable with a smaller gun/caliber to the point where you don't ever want to carry anything else.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You guys must have small hands and big pockets. I would have to use two fingers like chopsticks to get a pistol out of any normal jeans. Not quick nor safe.

P239 IWB usually. Sometimes a P22.
I don't know how big you or your hands are, but it sounds like your chosen brand of jeans are a little tighter on you then they may be on someone else. No offense, pocket carry doesn't work for everybody.

I think the LCP is an excellent little pistol. With my DeSantis pocket holster, I can clear it out of a semi-loose pair of khakis pretty fast most of the time. The only time I fail is when I accidentally have my trigger finger on the holster when I draw. Something I can correct with practice. Jeans... that's another story.

Tight fitting jeans are are generally a no-no for anyone serious about carrying.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A thigh holster is a good way to carry concealed under your dress.
LOL, after reading my initial post, it does sound like some guns are too big for my dress, I only meant too big for what I am wearing, I'm not a guy that likes to wear dresses :)

I don't know how big you or your hands are, but it sounds like your chosen brand of jeans are a little tighter on you then they may be on someone else. No offense, pocket carry doesn't work for everybody.

I think the LCP is an excellent little pistol. With my DeSantis pocket holster, I can clear it out of a semi-loose pair of khakis pretty fast most of the time. The only time I fail is when I accidentally have my trigger finger on the holster when I draw. Something I can correct with practice. Jeans... that's another story.

Tight fitting jeans are are generally a no-no for anyone serious about carrying.
It's not the tightness of the jeans I have that is a problem for my other guns, it's the depth. I don't like being able to see the grip of my gun in my pocket when I look down.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmm, personal experience behind your comment? Oh wait a minute, deep concealment under your skirt. Very nice!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Wisconsin's concealed carry law is one year old today (Woo Hoo !).
I found myself carrying my LC9 and HK P7 a lot at first for their light weight and smaller size (compared to the numerous 1911 variety guns I own).

I found as time went on and I got some better holsters I have started carrying bigger guns most of the time, usually a Commander size 1911 these days, and even with shorts and a T shirt in the summer. I found that I could conceal them just fine, and that a high quality belt made a huge difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You know, I think gun size and comfort is a relative thing. I have a glock 30, a glock 19, a glock 22 a glock 27, an sp 101, a S&W bodyguard 380, and a keltec p3at. I almost never carry anything but the 30. Its bigger than the other guns but its comfortable in its blade-tech holster and I guess I just like the number 4 and 230 grain hydro-shocks. Clint Smith is famous for saying a carry gun should be comforting not just comfortable. I'm used to the extra weight and size since I carry every day all day and it sits by the bed at night. I know there is very little real difference with modern expanding ammo between the calibers but this feels comfortable which with practice makes me more confident when out in the big world.

·
DA-Neatest-and-most unIEK
396 Posts

Huh? This is a concept I do not understand. While I cannot carry at work or have my gun in my car in the parking lot, I carry from the time I get home until I leave for work next. Yes, I carry in the home since I learned that most always the home invasions are happening at home. So when I leave home I don't "quick grab" a small pocket gun, I already have a bigger one. But hey, that's just how I am. YMMV

·
Registered
198 Posts
Galco made it easy for me to carry concealed. I use their horsehide pocket holster for my LCP and a KingTuck for any of 1911s, from a 3"er to a 5"er. Have found no other holsters are needed, although I do have another Galco inside the pants holsters for my 1911s.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts