Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I must eat some humble pie here, a year or so ago I was dead set against carrying SA's for concealed carry, except for my NAA Mini's which I considered absolute last ditch weapons.

I thought it was a bad idea, for many reasons, mainly due to my muscle memory with DA revolvers and also from a functional standpoint.

So, I started experimenting.........I hard chromed my .45 ACP Birdshead, added some cool Kirinite grips that give a good hold on the gun. Then I said, "heck I've pretty much made the perfect carry SA here, I might as well give it a shot"

It fits in a Bianchi 6 4" medium-frame revolver IWB holster like it was made for it.

I will have a Simply Rugged made for it as soon as funds allow, "tricking" this gun out was expensive:)

With the gun unloaded, I experimented with drawing while seated, standing, on my back, that big SBH hammer makes cocking a breeze, the gun was cocked as soon as it was on the way up on target. Once it becomes "instinctive" I see no problem with drawing and cocking.

I'm a civilian, not a cop, so I won't be drawing my gun to "hold it" on a bad guy, or drawing it and needing to keep it cocked for extended periods, etc. If the gun is clearing leather for "real" odds are it's going to be fired, if God Forbid it comes to that.

It carries like a 3" GP100, it's a beefy piece of iron but nothing that can't be easily done with good belt and a baggy thermal top. May be more of a challenge in the summer, but a Large Tall button down can fix that.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
excellent report. i also have a 45acp vaquero grip but i cant get used to the birdshead grip. what are the kirinite grips you added?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would have to carry at 4 o'clock and have many times. I used a simple Uncle Mikes IWB, I carried in summer and even on my motorcycle abd it was invisible I can assure you. I thought it would be uncomfortable or slow to draw but was surprised as just the opposite is true.
I generally don't care what others think but when you mention carrying a single action they act like you are crazy and risking your and others safety. I think many of them have never shot a single action, even a Vaqueros sights are easy to use, extremly accurate (moreso with practice), and I can promise you that my Birdshead points right at the target like my finger.

OP: Would you consider crossdraw? Mernickle has a crossdraw that seems really low profile and is reportedly very secure, it is called the Field holster. I will post a link that shows him wearing it and he tells about it. This holster goes for $80.
http://rugerforum.net/handgun-acces...aa-revolver-mernickle-field-carry-review.html

I wear mine now in a Mernickle PS6SA, I love it. Congratulations on finding that a SA is fine for CC.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the Eagle Grips Kirinite.......they are "slippery yet grippy", I don't know how else to describe them, but they are 100% perfect for this gun. They take forever to ship and they were $100 but Kirinite is supposedly dam near indestructible.

Mernickle looks good, I checked him out. I really just want a thumb-snap OWB pancake of some type, a high quality holster that's a Hi-Ride, so I can hide it under lighter clothes. I never got the point of OWB concealment holsters that have the toe of the holster halfway down your leg so it's impossible to cover it up........I'd rather have the butt halfway to my armpit for a summer holster, so I can wear a baggy T-shirt over it and be fine.

Cross Draw would be a good option too, especially for driving. Ironically, when I first started carrying I ALWAYS carried crossdraw, with everything from .38 snubs, to small autos, everything........but then kind of reverted to strong side 3' O clock, right on the hip, and just kept going with it.

I am playing around with the idea of trying a lighter mainspring, just a little lighter, since I would like to have a little more "snap" with the thumb cocking.

I have Trapper springs in one of my Blackhawks and man, that down stroke on the hammer is smooth as silk, I can fire that gun as fast as a Double Action in aimed fire. It never fails to pop a primer and it feels almost as if you just touch that hammer and it's cocked.

I know it sacrifices lock time, but this isn't a target gun where I'm trying to shave off 1/4" off groups........, and I wouldn't go too light, just a couple #'s off to get a little speed on getting the hammer back. I know there's about 20 sources for Ruger SA springs, maybe the heaviest weight Wolff would be a good start.

This gun is getting very close to being promoted to the very top tier of my collection, those guns we all have, we may own many, but one of those chosen 3 or 4 that are "the ones" we would never do without. One of my GP100's is there, my 4" .38......... my 9mm Blackhawk is getting close, and my S&W 67-1 has been there for 13 years, the only non-Ruger to make it as one of "The Ones" lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK, I must eat some humble pie here, a year or so ago I was dead set against carrying SA's for concealed carry, except for my NAA Mini's which I considered absolute last ditch weapons.

I thought it was a bad idea, for many reasons, mainly due to my muscle memory with DA revolvers and also from a functional standpoint.

So, I started experimenting.........I hard chromed my .45 ACP Birdshead, added some cool Kirinite grips that give a good hold on the gun. Then I said, "heck I've pretty much made the perfect carry SA here, I might as well give it a shot"

It fits in a Bianchi 6 4" medium-frame revolver IWB holster like it was made for it.

I will have a Simply Rugged made for it as soon as funds allow, "tricking" this gun out was expensive:)

With the gun unloaded, I experimented with drawing while seated, standing, on my back, that big SBH hammer makes cocking a breeze, the gun was cocked as soon as it was on the way up on target. Once it becomes "instinctive" I see no problem with drawing and cocking.

I'm a civilian, not a cop, so I won't be drawing my gun to "hold it" on a bad guy, or drawing it and needing to keep it cocked for extended periods, etc. If the gun is clearing leather for "real" odds are it's going to be fired, if God Forbid it comes to that.

It carries like a 3" GP100, it's a beefy piece of iron but nothing that can't be easily done with good belt and a baggy thermal top. May be more of a challenge in the summer, but a Large Tall button down can fix that.
I have two Mernickle PS6-SA holsters and belt on order to carry both of my Birdshead Vaquaros 3.75 barrel 45 colt Talos in crossdraw, cant wait! Thanks for your report.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm working up to carrying two SA's in OWB holsters, I'll get there someday:)

I was thinking my 5.5" .45 ACP Vaquero strongside and my .45 ACP Birdshead crossdraw, I don't think ina self defense scenario I'd be drawing both, I'm thinking more of a "NY reload" type thing

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
ExArmy your Ruger Vaquero BirdsHead .45acp sure looks like a neat carry gun. I would have to get a good stiff gun belt & suspenders to wear such a rig.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would highly recommend you find a holster that is stiff enough to stay open at least part way when the gun is drawn this facilitates returning it to holster one handed and without having to look at it. Those split hide holsters cling to your clothes and help with the draw somewhat but most aren't made from full grain leather and will fall apart over time.
I carry every day IWB and use a stiffened / reinforced Blackhawk holster and it works a charm. I can draw and return my Ruger SR9C one handed and without having to look.
If you ever do draw and then decide to holster it again at least you won't have to take your eyes off the bad guys. Think about it and I'm sure you will see the logic.
https://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-78-9-c-force-covert-force-holster.aspx
This is what I would probably go to it is a quality product by a long established company with many well known people as customers. Including me. LOL
Gabby

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Nice looking rig! I have a 45ACP stainless birdshead and love it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
ExArmy11b, and others
I've thought about using a single action for a field gun and occasional carry gun. In general I like the idea. My only reservation is that double actions allow for single handed operation, but it seems like it would be tricky trying to single handedly operate a single action or is this something you can become proficient at with the right hammer and practice?

I'm not too worried about fast reloads. I don't really anticipate taking on a gang.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Very interesting indeed. I've thought it was possible purely on the basis of the single actions history. Great report, great insights. Thank you. :cool:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
About four years ago I began carrying my Blackhawk .44 Special in a Mernickle PS-6SA holster:

The high carry worked for awhile, but then began to cramp my arm when drawing, so I went to this modified Tom Threepersons holster from Graveyard Jack Gunleather. Sort of a custom built rig with no retention device other than good fit.

Carries very comfortably, and is easily concealed by a vest or sport coat. This is the best holster I've found for everyday carry in all of my experience.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love these SA carry threads! Just about the time I "squirrel" on to a new shiny pistola one of these threads comes around and gets me excited about SA CCW again. Thanks to Exarmy for getting it started and others for keeping it going. I'm off to fondle my Birdshead 45acp now.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like all that leather:)

Drawing and cocking one handed isn't a problem,especially since, if you're using it for self defense, you'll likely be drawing, cocking and shooting from a "holster retention" type style, in other words, from the hip. I believe that's true with any gun, since the vast majority of civilian self defense shootings occur at point blank range.

I am going to use a Glock 30 10-round magazine for reloads, I like the Glock mags for reloading SA"s because they're covered in plastic and won't tear my pockets up. I can load the 10-rounders with 6 rounds, so they're easier to "strip" out with my thumb. A Glock 30 mag will take up less space than my cell phone.

I just picked up a 20-round box of .45 ACP Hydra Shoks, enough to load the gun and 2 reloads, and then 2 rounds to test fire just to make sure these hit to POA.

I think the key to carrying revolvers, not just SA's, is consistent practice. I practice as much as I can with both my DA's and SA's, if I'm going to start carrying an SA revolver I'm going to make darn sure I get out at least a few times a month to put 1-200 rounds through it, or at least get a couple hundred through my Single Six and .22 SP101 to lighten the hit on my wallet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cowboy action shooting helps to keep me practiced up, I reckon not quite the same as CC. but, its dern close..... :)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd rather trust a guy who regularly trains with a wheelgun then someone who doesn't know what they're doing with a Glock:)

Some people who carry autos and shoot 50 rounds look down on our decision to carry a wheelgun, however I stopped caring what people think about what I do years ago:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Years ago i heard, "practice with what you carry". That made a lot of sense to me, so I try to follow that when I can.

My stainless birdshead rides in a custom crossdraw for field use...works good! On the rare occasion when I CC it, I have a shoulder rig from my old 686 which fits perfectly! I've really grown to like the birdshead, mine is 45ACP...it's light, comfortable and mine is alarmingly accurate! It definitely gets a share in the rotation from time to time! :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts