Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of 4 wheeling, camping and canoeing in some pretty nasty swamp land. In the last 3 years we have a couple of exciting run-ins with some nasty tempered hogs and one mama bear with cubs. Thankfully we didn't have to hurt the bear but one big sow hog was determined to do some damage to our lead 4 wheeler so it was dispatched but it took 6 shots from a Ruger Super Blackhawk to bring it down. I decided to buy an Alaskan in 454 but have not found a good way to carry it. I have looked at several different rigs from Crossdraw to Shoulder Holsters to Chest Carry. Chest Carry makes more sense to me as the gun will be accessible but not in the way. How say you on the Ruger Forum? Any of you have experience with this rig and what kind do you have?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have a 6" GP100 for the same reason; I bought a Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake holster and a Chesty Puller harness from Simply Rugged. I like the way it carries strong side and in the chest harness. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
293 Posts
+1 simply rugged

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Here is a rig by Trailmaster, It has a full size Redhawk holster in the picture but I also have an Alaskan holster that I can switch out. He designs and makes all his holsters. He is a back packer and this design his been proven on his trips into the mountains for a week or so at a time. You can find him on facebook under Trailmaster and many of his holsters are shown there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the Alaskan Series of Diamond D Holsters but they are pricey. What ever I choose I have to have the option to stretch it out for use over insulated overhauls and parkas. Since I'm 6'6" and 330 lbs I have to have a lot of adjustment.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Currently I am having a leather holster custom made for my EDC Alaskan, it is OWB pancake. I am also having a cross draw/shoulder rig made by my local holster maker as well. The first revolver I'm having it made for is my 7.5" bbl S&W, but I'll probably be adding one for the 5" Redhawk and 7.5" redhawk. I like a little more barrel than my Alaskan sometimes!
No pics of the rig yet, still under construction! I like the Trailmaster setup...hadn't seen that before.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I went Galco. Have a conventional shoulder rig & a couple chest rigs for Redhawks, including an Alaskan.

They are dedicated ATV rigs, I want high reach & easy to get at positioning.
Highly recommend both.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went Galco. Have a conventional shoulder rig & a couple chest rigs for Redhawks, including an Alaskan.

They are dedicated ATV rigs, I want high reach & easy to get at positioning.
Highly recommend both.

Sounds like what I'm after if they have enough adjustment. Thanks, I'll check them out.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Both have enough latitude to adjust for either summer over a shirt, or winter over a coat.
Very good rigs.
Denis

·
Registered
284 Posts
I broke in my Hill People Kit Bag last weekend on a 5 mile walk. It was extremely comfortable and has good acquisition. It is not overly conspicuous for areas that would off limits to open carry. Plenty of room for GPS, phone and firemaking gear.

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have a cheap nylon belt holster for 4 wheeling and in the woods in general. The holster has a giant spring steel belt clip and good retention straps. When get the holster covered in mud I let it dry. I try to brush the mud off the holster. If can't brush the mud off the holster I just use a wet brush to clean it up.

I did add a small piece of velcro near the retention strap to be certain my gun is not bouncing out of the holster. The only holster I could think of that would be better for 4 wheeling is a hunter holster with a dust flap.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My rig from clarkforkleather here in MT.

They offer a full leather strap set up as well but I find the webbing feels better since it's always laying under my pack.

·
Registered
365 Posts
El Paso Saddlery Tanker Rig. Not as fast a draw as some of the Alaskan rigs but the gun rides high and dry. Once the shoulder strap is properly adjusted you just slide your head and arm through and attach the belt loop. Simple and clean without a spider web of straps or buckles. Gun rides on top of my Bullhide belt. The belt supports the holster like a shelf taking a lot of weight off of the shoulder strap.

·
Registered
185 Posts
All great looking holsters guys.
I just placed an order for a chest holster from Wes @ 7xleather for my Alaskan. They're a little spendy but well worth it IMO. Very tough and comfortable, even under a pack.
Here's one he made for my SRH scoped 9 1/2" last year.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440822706.978737.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440822721.611555.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts