Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I know this ain't no Blackhawk question but still felt this to be the best place to ask since the Cowboys hang out here. I need to replace my coach gun I done worn the thing out. I like the stagers however this time I want to switch to a hammer gun really like the Czech but too darn expensive. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Buy one used via a Want to Buy ad. I started with a Tula that had been bobbed for $325. Still have it. There are lots of people with Gramps old hammered SxS up in the attic.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank for the tip on the Cimarron a LSG list one on there Web site going to stop by and see if they really have it and check the sucker out

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update checked out the Cimarron nice sold gun $550, next up CZ fell in love with this one but at Johnson less than $900 had to pass, they also had a few stoger coach guns not as cool as the hammer guns but ended up going with it mainly because of the price they gave me $370 OTD. Just hope I don't regret passing on the hammers. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Update checked out the Cimarron nice sold gun $550, next up CZ fell in love with this one but at Johnson less than $900 had to pass, they also had a few stoger coach guns not as cool as the hammer guns but ended up going with it mainly because of the price they gave me $370 OTD. Just hope I don't regret passing on the hammers. Thanks for the suggestions.
Why would one prefer external hammers on a SxS coach gun?

I have an EAA Bounty Hunter II (Baikal-built) 12 ga coach gun with internal hammers. I like that cocking the gun is done simply by closing the barrels. I also prefer the clean profile of internal hammers, with nothing to snag. I disabled the auto safety function, so the safety switch stays in the same position when the barrels are closed.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Why would one prefer external hammers on a SxS coach gun?

I have an EAA Bounty Hunter II (Baikal-built) 12 ga coach gun with internal hammers. I like that cocking the gun is done simply by closing the barrels. I also prefer the clean profile of internal hammers, with nothing to snag. I disabled the auto safety function, so the safety switch stays in the same position when the barrels are closed.
External hammers are a better match to the "Cowboy Experience" Aesthetic (CAS, SASS, etc)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have both and like the one with internal hammers the most. The one with outside hammers has more appeal for looks,both are good guns and will last a long time if took care of.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been waiting for more of the Baikals to show up, probably under a new importer... (Remington, EAA, USSG, etc.). Will probably pick up an external hammer and the hammer less version to pick the best one. Thought about the Norinco's but would rather have one that was Russian made.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I've got the Baikal with exposed hammers in a coach gun, used it when I shot CASS in the Black Powder Classification, believe they called it Frontier. I too removed the safety feature so it stayed off after opening the barrels. If I remember right I paid right at $300.00 for it in the late 1990's. Shot a lot of rounds thru that puppy and it still shoots very well.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The Stoegers need less work inside than the Baikals. I have both the Stoeger coach in stainless and a blued Baikal BHII,

Firescout - your Baikal cocks on opening, not closing.

There are some classes in CAS/SASS that require external hammers. Otherwise, it's just a matter of aesthetic and experience.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The Stoegers need less work inside than the Baikals. I have both the Stoeger coach in stainless and a blued Baikal BHII,

Firescout - your Baikal cocks on opening, not closing.

There are some classes in CAS/SASS that require external hammers. Otherwise, it's just a matter of aesthetic and experience.
Yes, I know my Baikal cocks upon opening... I did work to the cocking levers and mainsprings/spring tunnels to improve the opening/stay open function. What I meant is that with the 'hammerless' gun, after closing the loaded/reloaded barrels, it's ready to go (cocked), with no manual hammer cocking.

I really wanted a Stevens 311R, but the slightly-used EAA/Baikal at a LGS was too good of a deal to pass up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've got several. For a hammered gun, my wife's Rossi is good. Mine are cut down Stevens, Ithaca, or LeFever==all hammerless. Sometimes use my Model 97 marked "Adams Express Company"

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a hammer less Baikal that was imported through USSG. I swapped out the original butt pad with a more forgiving one. Still pretty stiff. I shoot it when my nose is stuffy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd been wanting a Coach gun, drooling over the Cimarron but unfortunately had higher priorities like reloading equipment. Few months ago was in a Dunham's and there in the rack was this mean looking little thing with double hammers. Long story short, it was the Century JW2000 Chinese import with a sale price of $250NIB and it followed me home. Certainly not as fine an instrument as the aforementioned but it does bang and I hit what I aim at. An absolute blast to shoot and with the double triggers you can let go with both barrels at once, have the bruises to prove it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts