Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I dunno'. I like to use tumblers, or vibrating case cleaners. I have never used chemicals to clean my cases, so I don't know if they are a good deal or not. I guess this is probably a "Whatever You Like" kinda' thing. :)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Probably not 100% necessary, but very nice to have. I have been using one I bought off of Midway for 15 years.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think I'm in the minority here concerning tumblers. I reloaded for years without a tumbler, considering them a luxury rather than a necessity, just wiping the cases off with an old towel. Finally like gunman I bought one from Midway and used it at times and then my son gave me an almost new one from Hornaday. To be honest I only use them occasionally now, still wiping the cases off with that towel most of the time. Not as shiny or pretty as many like but they shoot just fine. When I do tumble cases I only run them about an hour. If they're not ready by then they gets loaded anyway.:)
Baker

·
Registered
197 Posts
I personally like nice, shiny cases when loading. I use Dillon's case cleaner in corn cob media. With that it only takes my Lyman about three hours to shine the brass up nice. I have read that a piece of hard grit or sand can scratch a carbide die, though it has never happened to me. But my Lyman is now 23 years old and one heck of a bargain.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Frankford Arsenal tumbler from Midway here, bout 1-1/2 hour with a couple shots of liquid Flitz or Frankford brass cleaner mixed in with corncob media leaves 'em shiny.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Lee says it is not necessary to tumble your brass. However, I hate tarnished or discolored brass so I use a Frankford vibrator and presto-chango, shiney brass!

If I have to use case lube I put em back in the media and give em another hour or so after they are loaded.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bunzo351

Lee says it is not necessary to tumble your brass. However, I hate tarnished or discolored brass so I use a Frankford vibrator and presto-chango, shiney brass!

If I have to use case lube I put em back in the media and give em another hour or so after they are loaded.
Yup - they look better than factory don't they?:)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
It's a personal preference thing. Makes it easier to lube cases, prettier when shooting at the range, and it's easy to just throw them in the media when you come back from the range and take them out later. I use a timer on mine. No it's not necessary. It does help in keeping the brass from getting scratched up as easily with grit that may be left on the case when running through the sizing die. I still lay a handful at a time out on a towel after removing from the tumbler and rub vigorously to remove any dust ot dirt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have decided not to get one. Have been reading about people getting lead poisoning from the dust from the tumblers so I will continue to use the liquid method for cleaning.
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice thing about the media tumblers, if you use the Barnes TSX's, the tumblers are great to Moly the bullets, or you can moly any bullets with the tumbler, gets a very even coat when tumbled. Les

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
quote:Originally posted by putteral

I have decided not to get one. Have been reading about people getting lead poisoning from the dust from the tumblers so I will continue to use the liquid method for cleaning.
Thanks
That's why they have lids. Besides, how much lead dust can there be on a fired case? Seems I'd get more from handling the lead bullets.
When I put a polishing agent in with the media, it also helps knock the dust down. I've been using a tumbler for twenty + years, don't have lead poisoning yet. Like anything else, it takes a little common sense.
I'd say much ado about nuthing----

·
Administrator
22,455 Posts
It just seems so much easier to throw the cases in a tumbler and do something else. I use walnut shell and and add a small amount of a liquid polish. I think the lead content is small and not an issue. I had my blood lead tested in my last physical and there wasn't any detected. I felt good about that as I reload lead in 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 45 ACP and shotshell.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have one of the cheap Frankford Arsenal ones from Midway too. I plug it in out on the deck and let it run for a few hours with some corncob media and some Iosso brass polish. It keeps the gunk off my dies. Sometime I don't bother and just wipe the cases but I prefer to have them tumbled clean.

Don't buy the corncob media they sell for tumblers. The sell the same stuff as pet bedding at the pet store for a fraction of the price.

·
Administrator
22,455 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Wuchak

Don't buy the corncob media they sell for tumblers. The sell the same stuff as pet bedding at the pet store for a fraction of the price.
Thanks I wasn't aware of that and I'mm always looking to save money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.