Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem casting 500 gr. projectiles for my Pedersoli .45/70 Sharps Target rifle I use 1 to twenty alloy for casting bullets from an RCBS P/N 82085 Bullet Mould .45-500-BPS The bullets weigh in the range of 500 to 507 grs. Which while not bad for general plinking and hunting are way off for BPCR matches where the weight diffrence should be no more than .5 grains. But that's not my main concern, no, it's the fact that the majority of my castings are .0001 too large to fit easily into the brass cases and will not chamber into the rifle. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Try RCBS for sizing dies and size them before loading. Is your mould a gas-check design? then push it through the sizer with the gascheck on the base.
Also check if the case neck is not too thick, in which event you will have to thin it slightly on a lathe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a problem casting 500 gr. projectiles for my Pedersoli .45/70 Sharps Target rifle I use 1 to twenty alloy for casting bullets from an RCBS P/N 82085 Bullet Mould .45-500-BPS The bullets weigh in the range of 500 to 507 grs. Which while not bad for general plinking and hunting are way off for BPCR matches where the weight diffrence should be no more than .5 grains. But that's not my main concern, no, it's the fact that the majority of my castings are .0001 too large to fit easily into the brass cases and will not chamber into the rifle. Any suggestions?
I am assuming you meant .001" over desired size as-cast from your mold. Aside from changing your alloy, the only way to make your boolits smaller is to size them. As far as the variation in weight problem goes, it sounds like you are getting a void in your boolits. What temp is your alloy running? How hot is your mold when casting? Could be that your alloy is cooling off too fast in your mold, and that is causing an internal void. This would be my best guess as to your weight variation. Is this a one cavity mold?

Kevin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts