Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have used standard velocity with no problems.
And I think about getting some again instead of Geco semi-auto (they're subsonic where Geco aren't, and I use often a supressor)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Should I use CCI velocitors or stingers in my SR-22?
Why not? They're fine. I use CCI velocitors as the "defensive load" in my wife's SR22 she keeps under the bed. Unfortunately, she won't have anything to do with anything in larger caliber.

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
Should I use CCI velocitors or stingers in my SR-22?
Should? or Can?

I have fired both out of my wife's SR22 and it functions fine. But they do kick a bit more, which means a bit more stress on the pistol, which can probably handle it - polymer frame and all. They may be fine if the SR22 is all you have for PD, but they're a heck of a lot more expensive than even Mini-mags - my preferred ammo.

So:
-can you? Yes.
-should you? up to you. Safe to do, possibly more wear, and expensive.

They do give a pretty impressive flash and bang though, particularly at night!:)

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
What does the manual say about hyper-velocity ammo?

I don't have an SR22, but the Mk II says to only use standard and high velocity (not hyper).

·
Registered
362 Posts
What does the manual say about hyper-velocity ammo?

I don't have an SR22, but the Mk II says to only use standard and high velocity (not hyper).
This is what the manual says:

AMMUNITION

The RUGER® SR22TM PISTOLS are chambered for the .22 Long Rifle
cartridge. Do not attempt to load any other .22 caliber cartridges into the
magazine or chamber of the pistol.

The RUGER® SR22TM PISTOLS are compatible with all factory
ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including
high-velocity and hollow-point loads. However, sub-sonic or match-grade
ammunition may not have sufficient energy to cycle the slide.
If you find that the slide does not cycle fully, try another brand of ammunition.​

No mention of hyper-velocity so I assume that because CCI loads them as .22lr ammo to U.S. Industry Standards they are OK to use. Both shoot fine through mine, but I don't give it a steady diet of them either. I usually opt for less expensive ammo for basic plinking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have used both of these in my SR22 with no problems, but like any 'hot' ammo, they can make the pistol wear faster.
I have shot almost every brand of .22LR in mine including Aguila Super Extra (high velocity) and the only round I have had any trouble with is Remington Golden Bullet. It will cause jams in both my SR22 and my S&W M&P rifle.
All that said, if I can find them, I try to stick with CCI.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I sent an email to Ruger asking the same question. They replied that is ok to use hyper velocity 22lr in the SR22. I've used CCI stingers and Remington yellow jackets with no problems.

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
CCI's work just fine in my SR22, along with the Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts.

I have big issues with Federal and Winchester ammo in it ...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Why not? They're fine. I use CCI velocitors as the "defensive load" in my wife's SR22 she keeps under the bed. Unfortunately, she won't have anything to do with anything in larger caliber.
My wife had a similar attitude - my first firearm was an SR-22 and now she has one of here own as well as a 10/22. I made the mistake of having her fire my BG380 - which has plenty of felt recoil etc - and for at least a year she wouldn't even try anything larger than the 22. I did finally get her to try the AR15 and the 1911 just to show her that a bigger gun can actually be easier to handle than a smaller one. She still has no desire to fire the larger stuff - but out of preference rather than apprehension.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I have used both of these in my SR22 with no problems, but like any 'hot' ammo, they can make the pistol wear faster.
I have shot almost every brand of .22LR in mine including Aguila Super Extra (high velocity) and the only round I have had any trouble with is Remington Golden Bullet. It will cause jams in both my SR22 and my S&W M&P rifle.
All that said, if I can find them, I try to stick with CCI.
CCI work good for me, too.

During the past few years and ammo shortages, I've been able to get several thousand rounds of the Rem Golden Bullets. Both my SR22 and my M&P 15-22 absolutely love them.

I managed to get 1000 rounds of the Win M-22 and a brick of the Win Super-X. Nothing but troubles with both. Finally got rid of them but only after a bunch of chamber clearing practice.

Both fireams have 5000+ rounds thru them.

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
Is there some kind of advantage in the SR .22 pistols over the MkII/III pistols? Wondering..
I have both an SR-22 and a Mk-II. The Mk-II is probably more accurate, with a longer barrel, so higher velocity for the same round, larger, and heavier. I really enjoy my Mk-II, but it is a real PITA to reassemble after cleaning (which I do after every firing session).

The SR22 is a fun shooter with a small P-rail underneath for a light or laser if you choose. It's much lighter (polymer frame) and comparatively simple to disassemble, clean, and re-assemble.

The +/- is largely your individual preference. For simple plinking, the SR22 is just easier all-around. For a bit more power and accuracy, the Mk-II wins out. The SR-22 is also a bit more concealable (smaller) should you want to carry and .22 is about all you can handle.

Oh, and the SR-22 is less expensive!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is what the manual says:

AMMUNITION

The RUGER® SR22TM PISTOLS are chambered for the .22 Long Rifle
cartridge. Do not attempt to load any other .22 caliber cartridges into the
magazine or chamber of the pistol.

The RUGER® SR22TM PISTOLS are compatible with all factory
ammunition of the correct caliber loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including
high-velocity and hollow-point loads. However, sub-sonic or match-grade
ammunition may not have sufficient energy to cycle the slide.
If you find that the slide does not cycle fully, try another brand of ammunition.​

No mention of hyper-velocity so I assume that because CCI loads them as .22lr ammo to U.S. Industry Standards they are OK to use. Both shoot fine through mine, but I don't give it a steady diet of them either. I usually opt for less expensive ammo for basic plinking.
Here are some notes I made some time ago on velocity. Someone please correct me where I am wrong:

VELOCITY
Subsonic 1,080 ft/s
Standard 1,125 ft/s
High 1,200 ft/s to 1,300 ft/s
Hyper 1,400 ft/s to 1,800 ft/s

rak

1 - 20 of 26 Posts