Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I know that Walmart is the place that everyone loves to hate (I've had my fair share of issues with the "help" there myself), but I was in ther etonight and saw that they had 1600 CCI Mini Mags in a plastic ammo can (kind of a nice one, really) for $98. It's only slightly cheaper than the little 100-round boxes come out to be unless you count in another $8 or so for the container (which is what I've paid for similar "cans" recently).

Also, on the same subject, my Walmart has TulAmmo .223 (55gr) for just under $5 each (20-round boxes). I know that TulAmmo has ups and downs, but I've yet to have any issues with it in my newly-acquired Mini 14. If your gun is picky, stay away from it, but if you're fortunate enough to own something that eats anything, You can't beat the TulAmmo for 26 cents per round.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Hey guys,
I know that Walmart is the place that everyone loves to hate (I've had my fair share of issues with the "help" there myself), but I was in ther etonight and saw that they had 1600 CCI Mini Mags in a plastic ammo can (kind of a nice one, really) for $98. It's only slightly cheaper than the little 100-round boxes come out to be unless you count in another $8 or so for the container (which is what I've paid for similar "cans" recently).

Also, on the same subject, my Walmart has TulAmmo .223 (55gr) for just under $5 each (20-round boxes). I know that TulAmmo has ups and downs, but I've yet to have any issues with it in my newly-acquired Mini 14. If your gun is picky, stay away from it, but if you're fortunate enough to own something that eats anything, You can't beat the TulAmmo for 26 cents per round.

Happy shooting!
I seen the same deal here at my town's WM and I didn't think it was such a great savings either. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seen the same deal here at my town's WM and I didn't think it was such a great savings either. :rolleyes:
They're still cheaper, but not significantly so. I have a friend in town here that only shoots Mini Mags so I guess if you shoot them regularly, it's a decent way to buy them. Especially considering you get them in the little box. I've got plans to pick up a box this week. I like the Mini Mags pretty good and at that price, they're comparable to the Federal Bulk Packs I usually buy.

Just thought someone might be interested to know about the deal.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I agree the CCI Mini Mags in .22 LR & .22 Mag. are good rounds. To me they burn much cleaner then the other brands I've shot and they're reliable. I prefer them over all others.

I have a NM Single Six that loves to eat them up.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My area WM has them too. They are the 40gr version. It is still more expensive than the super cheap bulk Federal, Remington and Winchester but still a good buy on quality ammo.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My area WM has them too. They are the 40gr version. It is still more expensive than the super cheap bulk Federal, Remington and Winchester but still a good buy on quality ammo.
Yep. For anyone that likes to shoot the CCIs, it's a decent buy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I only use CCI's .22 ammo nowadays. I got so sick of the jams, misfires, and low-powered rounds from other brands that I will no longer waste time with them. Of course this isn't to say that CCI ammo can't jam or misfire, but at least I usually get through a whole box of them without having an issue.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only use CCI's .22 ammo nowadays. I got so sick of the jams, misfires, and low-powered rounds from other brands that I will no longer waste time with them. Of course this isn't to say that CCI ammo can't jam or misfire, but at least I usually get through a whole box of them without having an issue.
Yeah. I never have issues with them at all. Maybe 1 in 500. But then again, Federal works fine for me, too. I hate buying the Mini Mags in those little plastic boxes. Somehow I feel like I'm getting a better deal in the big green box from Walmart. :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
i have had great luck with the CCI blazer .22LR

mini mags are what is recommended for use in a sig mosquito, so thanks for the tip on this price

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have had great luck with the CCI blazer .22LR

mini mags are what is recommended for use in a sig mosquito, so thanks for the tip on this price
You're welcome. I know it's not the deal of a lifetime, but every little bit counts, right? You're probably saving about $25 if you count in the box. I picked up a box this morning. For what it's worth, they're in the green plastic ammo can, but inside of that, they're individually boxed in their clear plastic boxes of 100, which is nice for grabbing a couple and heading to the range. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a new 582 mini 14, and have been using the WM tula 223 with good success. They are boxer primed, but they are dirty and smell a bit like ammonia. No misfires or jams and they seem reasonably accurate. I am hitting a 20 oz plastic coke bottle filled with water at 75 yards without too many tries, which is good enough for me.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I picked up two cans in Idaho today and saved the sales tax I would pay in Washington state. It works out to be $6.12 per 100 plus a free ammo can. Pro rating it to the Federal bulk it equals $33.69 for 550 rounds.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up two cans in Idaho today and saved the sales tax I would pay in Washington state. It works out to be $6.12 per 100 plus a free ammo can. Pro rating it to the Federal bulk it equals $33.69 for 550 rounds.
Yeah... It is pricier than the Federal, but it burns clean and I have almost no failures with the CCI. I still have some Federal Blue Box, but the only place around here to buy it charges $28 + Tax for 550 rounds, which is about what I'm paying for that CCI Bulk Pack.

Also, the box it comes in is not marked as Plano, but compared to my other Plano boxes (which I love) it's IDENTICAL. I mean, if this is a knock-off, it's the best I've ever seen. This is the box they come in here: Amazon.com: Plano Ammo Can (Field Box): Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I went to buy mini-mags yesterday at the super-store and the shelves were completely bare of all mini-mags... hp, rn, bulk...everything...gone...there is always plenty of thousands of rounds available there... :(

Walmart is frequently sold out and never has the preferred by me 40gr solids...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to buy mini-mags yesterday at the super-store and the shelves were completely bare of all mini-mags... hp, rn, bulk...everything...gone...there is always plenty of thousands of rounds available there... :(

Walmart is frequently sold out and never has the preferred by me 40gr solids...
This might sound stupid, but did you check the gun case? That's where these giant bulk packs were. I got the 40gr Round Nose (my preferred ones). They're in the Plano box in 16 clear cases, just like you would get them off the shelf.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Sorry I wasn't referring to Walmart...I didn't write that correctly...I meant sporting goods super store where the ammo selection is far greater and the quantities on hand are always far greater than the Walmarts in the area...they have about 7 isles of all kinds of ammo and reloading supplies...they don't have all the "special" 22 rounds but they have quite a variety and usually large quantities...the bulk 22 ammo is stacked up in the middle of an area like they stack soda at the grocery store...and a lot of it was completely gone too...

Must be hunting season... :D

Mini-mags continue to be the go-to ammo for me...and the gold standard to compare to...can't say enough good things about that ammo including a very reasonable price all things considered...

I get better accuracy from Super X hyper at 100m but the cost is a lot more and the reliability is a lot less...

I did get some Federal Game Shock...basically same price as mini-mags...nice quality and at least as accurate at 100m as mini-mags...not tested enough to say on overall reliability but I am going to buy more of them...

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I bought four more cans before leaving Idaho and they still had six cans left. Matter of fact the shelves were so full they only put one can out. The guy behind the counter said the backroom was stocked full of every kind of amm. They were getting ready for the hunting season. So even if one guy cleaned them out they could restock from the back.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use the Win.333 22lr HP for target but keep the 21a Bobcat and an LCR22 loaded with mini mags or preferably Stingers for my wifes ccw and around the house protection.
Never had a miss fire with either Mini mag or Stinger and they are clean as a whistle.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts

Hey MATTEW

THANK YOU... THANK YOU... THANK YOU... 1,600 times...

They had em...and I got em... :D:D:D:D:D:D

40gr solid...can't get em in 100pk at Walmart here normally...only 36gr...LGS was bone dry on 40gr and only had 375pk of 36 gr...

Went to Walmart from LGS...not a 22 round on the shelf at Walmart... asked about the special bulk deal...guy didn't know anything about it...said he'd go check...came back with 4 green boxes...I figured for sure they were going to be the less desirable 36gr in which case I was not going to get them...would have gotten the 375pk instead....was shocked and extremely happy to see a great big 40 on the label... :D:D:D

Happy days are here again...!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts