Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take a resident to the Bath, NY. Va hospital today. While I was walking around the grounds and waiting I kept seeing signs saying "For your protection, firearms are prohibited". That just got me to thinking about how helpless everyone would be if there was a situation.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
"For your protection, firearms are prohibited".
Sounds like a double negative to me.
Should really read, "For your protection, firearms are permitted".

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ours doesn't allow knives either.

Besides, if you wear your weapon you be discovered during an exam or scan.

Worse yet, it causes the numbers to get higher when they weigh you before you see you doctor.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Ours doesn't allow knives either.

Besides, if you wear your weapon you be discovered during an exam or scan.

Worse yet, it causes the numbers to get higher when they weigh you before you see you doctor.
Joke isn't it.
Makes a joke of your 2nd.
Your forefathers would be rolling over in their graves.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Guns and edged weapons are prohibited at ALL VA medical centers and Regional offices. If you are caught, you WILL be facing a federal judge. There are pleanty of VA federal police officers stationed inside.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I am in the VA hospital in St. Louis all the time & have been for years.
There is a large armed police force that are visible all the time.
You do not want to get caught carring in a federal bldg.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
A VA hospital is federal property and just like all other federal propertys and military installations, firearms are prohibited reguardless of weather you have a ccw permit or not. Caught and you face federal charges.

·
Registered
17,196 Posts
In Texas you can't carry in any Hospital, and they don't need to post a sign.

Reactions: north tex

·
Registered
449 Posts
I visit the VA hospital and clinics for tests a couple of times/year. At the entrance gate is a large sign saying guns (weapons) are not allowed beyond the gate. Just having a gun in my vehicle is not allowed. I don't like to travel without my gun and the clinic/hospital is just under 100 miles from home. This is a dilema for me and others in this situation.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The VA hospital and land is off limits to guns and DO NOT park your car in VA parking lot with load or unload gun in car . They will keep your gun and fine you too boot and just the ammo will cost you $125 per round and they don't care if you are in a wheelchair and you have a CCW and drove over 100 miles to get there . :mad: :mad: :mad:.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I visit the VA hospital and clinics for tests a couple of times/year. At the entrance gate is a large sign saying guns (weapons) are not allowed beyond the gate. Just having a gun in my vehicle is not allowed. I don't like to travel without my gun and the clinic/hospital is just under 100 miles from home. This is a dilema for me and others in this situation.
The only dilema should be don't bring your weapon or don't go at all. Anything else is advocating braking the law. If you think your above the law then keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
449 Posts
The only dilema should be don't bring your weapon or don't go at all. Anything else is advocating braking the law. If you think your above the law then keep it to yourself.
Is it a law or just a regulation? Is it Constitutional? It is publicly owned property, after all. And many veterans fought for that Constitution and the rights guaranteed by it. Those that didn't have to fight dedicated several years to protect those rights. Why should they be taken from us just because we cross a certain line onto publicly property? I understand the reason for not taking it into the hospital where you'll likely be undressing......but locked (hopefully, out of sight) in your vehicle???

All Federal properties are not illegal to carry (as you stated in an earlier post)....BLM and Federal Forest lands come to mind. National Parks have recently been opened to concealed carry (as I understand it).

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am retired from radiology. A no gun policy is standard procedure in all hospitals to my knowledge, at least in every one I have been in.
The last thing we wanted in the emergency room was some guy walking in carrying a gun. We had plenty to keep us occupied besides watching some Yoda Yutz we didn't know with a sidearm.

In every hospital I worked there were plenty of security, especially in and around the ER.
I carried every day. I arrived at work and turned my gun over to security, they put it in the safe and I retrieved it when I went home. No big deal.

There are, believe it or not, some places on this planet where guns are not appropriate. Hospitals are one of them.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
All federal installations etc ban weapons and the va is no exception that is the way it is and live with it or stay away. Remeber the guy in washington who visited his doctor wiht an unloaded gun in the trunk and was in trouble.

·
Registered
449 Posts
All federal installations etc ban weapons and the va is no exception that is the way it is and live with it or stay away. Remeber the guy in washington who visited his doctor wiht an unloaded gun in the trunk and was in trouble.
The local VA clinic bans gun inside the building but makes no distinction for the parking lot. There should be no reason for anyone to search your locked car or trunk, especially without your permission, unless you have broken some law that would giv e them a reason for a search. With that in mind, how would anyone know there was an unloaded gun in the trunk? I have never signed any papers that give away my rights concerning search and seisure to visit a VA hospital.

I've heard that there is a case in the court system now concerning carrying in private hospitals and post offices and banks. Not sure if it's true, or not.

What happens if you're carrying concealed and you're involved in an accident and transported to a hospital. Do ambulance drivers search everyone for concealed weapons? I was taken to a hospital in an ambulance and was not searched. I was not carrying, but they didn't know if I was or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most if not all Hospitals have no firearms policy. Leave your gun in the car or truck or at home! Guns make nurses nervous!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Most if not all Hospitals have no firearms policy. Leave your gun in the car or truck or at home! Guns make nurses nervous!
Agreed! But that is not the point of this thread. It is the VA hospitals not allowing them in the parking lots, locked in cars. No other Federal installation, except military, that I'm aware of, bans guns in parking lots in locked in cars. There may be some, but not Post Offices, Federal buildings or others that we would normally visit as citizens, ban guns in cars parked in their parking lots. VA Hospitals can be quite a distance from one's home. In my case it is about a 200 mile drive (round trip) to visit the nearest VA Hospital. I've been there twice in the past 6 months. Once for a 5 minute exam and the other for an eye exam. If I carry a gun in my vehicle for protection during that drive, I can't enter the VA grounds legally (and the nearest off grounds parking is a mile away). There isn't a guard at the gate, so it is just a problem if you get caught. A victimless crime, to be sure.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Agreed! But that is not the point of this thread. It is the VA hospitals not allowing them in the parking lots, locked in cars. No other Federal installation, except military, that I'm aware of, bans guns in parking lots in locked in cars. There may be some, but not Post Offices, Federal buildings or others that we would normally visit as citizens, ban guns in cars parked in their parking lots. VA Hospitals can be quite a distance from one's home. In my case it is about a 200 mile drive (round trip) to visit the nearest VA Hospital. I've been there twice in the past 6 months. Once for a 5 minute exam and the other for an eye exam. If I carry a gun in my vehicle for protection during that drive, I can't enter the VA grounds legally (and the nearest off grounds parking is a mile away). There isn't a guard at the gate, so it is just a problem if you get caught. A victimless crime, to be sure.
The VA hospital has the right to search you and your car anytime they want when you are on VA lands .[ Big time fines ] . The same thing on military bases too . Watch out carrying on Indian reservation , some federal and state parks are bad news also . I've carried since 1968 in Pa , Ca , Az , Tn and Tx and seen a lot of changes good and bad ..

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
The VA hospital and land is off limits to guns and DO NOT park your car in VA parking lot with load or unload gun in car . They will keep your gun and fine you too boot and just the ammo will cost you $125 per round and they don't care if you are in a wheelchair and you have a CCW and drove over 100 miles to get there . :mad: :mad: :mad:.
That fine for ammo is not a thing I've seen or heard of before. There's always a stray round or two in my truck, and certainly several brass cases. Do you have any links to that reg?

I see the sign that says all guns are banned at the VA hospital I go to, but there's nothing about ammo on it. I'm there once or twice a month and will be going back on Monday, so I'll read it closely this time.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
James6591, no sense of humor?

You can still do bad jokes and take the secone admendment seriously.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.