Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't plan to get one but I wondered what you folk thought about the ads for a CCW badge? I have not heard anyone talk about their view on the subject so I thought this was a topic to bring up. I saw the first ad in a magazine and recently saw one for sale on a web site. They look like LEO badges with a shield and gold color. It reads Concealed Weapon Permit. The badge and leather holder run around $40.00. The one ad said it would help to place this near your carry gun so if someone spots you carrying they will feel some relief that you are not just some perp.

My thought is that if your gun is flashing others it is not working right for you correctly for concealment. I guess at a shooting if a guy pulled out a permit badge and held it up I would feel a little more comfortable believing he had some limited training and not just some 11:00 P.M. news criminal. Just hits me like a bagde is pushing that boundary to look like a LEO and stretch our muscle too much in this way.

Discussion in general will be interesting on this topic for me plus I would like those current or past LEOs to give their thoughts.

P.S. I have thought of getting Taurus one with the engraved name "Barney Fife" added to the shield. Just a thought though. That plus one 9mm bullet and look out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems to me you might be very close to getting accused of "impersonating a police officer"...I would have to believe most LEOs would say nix to this idea?

Why not just hold up your permit if need be?

Just my thoughts on your queston..

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Weeeeeelllll, being an ex-LEO...and now a CCW-type...I see two sides....

1. Noone should ever see your gun...I've carried legally and not since I was 14-never been spotted....so having the badge in case the gun is seen doesn't wash.

2. As a CCW-type-I want everything going for me in case of a shoot or an arrest I have to make...(Texas laws are different about this)...I've often thought that it'd be good to have a badge to wave when the good guys showed up...to keep them from goofing....but I haven't bought one....in six years....

3. As a former LEO...I, arriving on the scene and finding a dude waving a badge at me, would expect him to say "I'm on the job...I work for --------"...if he didn't, I would be a bit pissed, though I'd understand his logic...and I'd be real careful to make sure he wasn't playing police and had done everything just right.....I have enough experience not to shoot the wrong guy...all cops don't and it's possible to be mis-identified....shot for the appearance(shabby and unshaven, ugly or other "profiles"....that's always a possibility...it could go either way.....but I'd rather not see a non-cop with a badge.....

4. If involved in either a shooting or arrest...I would have my ID and permit up in the air...and , if the perp was out of it or restrained, my gun would be back in the holster out of sight....if I had to keep him covered...my demeanor would have to work for me as I explained that he needed covering and cuffing and why, and then put my gun down after he was covered by an officer....

Nothing hard and fast here....could go either way, but I'd advise not to buy or carry a CCW badge...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Love it everytime I hear it...except I don't know the origin? Fill in an old fart, please....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Love it everytime I hear it...except I don't know the origin? Fill in an old fart, please....
Came from a line in a Humphrey Bogart movie, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Actually goes like this:

Dobbs (Bogart): 'If you're the police where are your badges?'
Gold Hat(Manuel Donde): 'Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!'

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,472 Posts
Another vote for "no stinkin' badges".

·
Registered
842 Posts
If I spot some person with one of those badges I'm getting as far away from them as possible. Funny and scary at the same time.!!:D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Bounty Hunters wear badges a lot now too. It might be just to give them a professional look. Or maybe a look of authority. One thing I suppose it could do is identify you as the good guy in a shooting situation. People seeing a badge would assume you to be a cop and not jump into the fruckus and harm you. A displayed badge could also keep an undercover or off duty cop from shooting you as soon as he sees a gun. The badge would give him pause. I suppose there are a few ok reasons to own one, but I would not. I'm not a cop. I don't even play one on tv.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.