Ruger Forum banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've carried for quite a few years, and I started off with a S&W Model 64 or my Security Six. As I got more accustomed to CCW and expanded my inventory I moved on to a 1911, then a Sig P232, or a Sig P226. I currently rotate my CCW every few months. I train and practice with all of them regularly. I have also read and "discussed" carry capacity on different sites and with fellow shooters. Honestly it can be a hot topic. I was taught to hit what I was shooting at and to make every shot count. I wish to cast this out for responses from my fellow forum members.

Do you carry a semi-automatic or carry a revolver?
Do you carry reloads for you CCW on you?

If you carry a semi-automatic, is it high capacity (15+)?
If you carry a revolver, do you carry reloads?

Grumpy
I carry a 938 7+1 or a 365 and never a extra mag for either. I am not going to spray and pray hopefully hitting something. 7+1 will be enough get it done for me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Shield 45, 7+1 and a spare 7rd mag. I'm retired, stay pretty close to home, so that should do. I have revolvers, am very fond of them, am well drilled and good with double action. That said, I'm better with an autoloader. Should the excrement ever get real, I want to be better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I want at least one shot to hit hard = caliber or TKO (ref. Genitron.com)
Then I want every shot to hit something offensive
If I can't get away, then I reach for full mags or full reloaders
If lucky, I can get to a rifle/shotgun
Texas Lawshield member

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I just watched a YouTube video by a retired police officer with 20 years of service and one shooting during his career. He highlighted a shooting of a perpetrator shooting at a LEO. The LEO returned fire and, during the gunfight, hit the perpetrator 14 times (6 lethal shoots and 3 head shots) before the perpetrator went down and stopped firing. The perpetrator was taken to the hospital and died while the ER crew was working on him. The video did not say how many shots the LEO fired but he had 2 reloads so a minimum of 37 rounds if the pistol was a Glock 17 (a common duty carry for LEOs in my area).

That's a horrifying number of shots in a modern gunfight in may opinion.

I carry a revolver with shotshells while I walk the dog and myself. (We have coyotes in this area.)
I can an EZ 9 otherwise with one extra magazine (15 rounds total).
I think that I will change to a different pistol with a higher capacity after watching that video.
Must have been a 9 mm.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
For years a completely customized Colt Government Model Series 70. Times change. Decided that gun was too valuable to carry. Got something I thought I would never own but wouldn't regret losing that much--a Glock 23. That broke a dam. It was an okay firearm. Who knew. Then a Glock 27 with Zev trigger installed, tritium fiber optic sights. That eventually evolved into a HK P30SK with a LEM trigger and factory tritium sights. The P30 LEM trigger breaks like the custom 1911 but is a dream to carry. So some things don't change.
I carry my most expensive 1911. If I ever have to use it, I want the absolute best pistol in my hand. I will not care about the gun being confiscated for a while. I have others. And I will eventually get it back.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
My CCW is a time/space machine. It's primary function is to create enough time and space between me and an aggressor so that no one gets shot. If we're forced into an armed conflict the 7+1 rounds in my Dan Wesson CCO should be enough. I refuse to live my life in fear and worried about being tactical all the time. I'm at a point in my life where there's absolutely no reason I have to go anywhere that dangerous. Yeah, danger can appear anywhere but I pay attention to my surroundings and I choose to live where crime consists of deer poaching and drunk driving.
I'm on the Bonk plan, but different 7+1 Semi-autos.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Semi-auto won't carry anything more then 30 oz, don't want to wear suspenders.
Sig P224, no clue why they discontinued its better than the 229 compact, if they made a P225 compact I'd buy it don't need that many rounds. I've got a 80's p225 I might eventually switch. I don't like striker fired plastic guns or I'd buy the P365, trigger doesn't suck as bad like most striker fired handguns. like g....g....g.....s

·
Registered
15 Posts
We are allowed to list three weapons on our ccw. As a retired wheel gun fan my preference is the S&W 637/crimson trace combo w/golden Sabre+P’s in desantis sticky holster, right front pocket. Strip loader in left pocket for everyday carry at home and around town.
Add the 4” Model 19 combat masterpiece w/factory magnums in Bianchi OWB and two speedloaders if heading to the jungle. God Bless Elmer Keith for convincing S&W to build one of the finest revolvers in history!
HiPower w/factory ball in multiple hicap mags in the vehicle safe in the unlikely event that a more battle-oriented solution to personal safety is required. The crossbreed IWB rig provides an excellent foundation for the robust, steel 9mm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I CC a Star M40 180 grain factory ammo. If my frame could cover it I would carry a revolver. Wifey carries either a Smith 442 or a Smith 19-5. Depends on where she goes. During winter we use hot loads but not hollow points. Summer is medium load hollow points.
Where I live most people carry but when you live in a small town you find yourself in the big city just to do shopping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We are allowed to list three weapons on our ccw. As a retired wheel gun fan my preference is the S&W 637/crimson trace combo w/golden Sabre+P’s in desantis sticky holster, right front pocket. Strip loader in left pocket for everyday carry at home and around town.
Add the 4” Model 19 combat masterpiece w/factory magnums in Bianchi OWB and two speedloaders if heading to the jungle. God Bless Elmer Keith for convincing S&W to build one of the finest revolvers in history!
HiPower w/factory ball in multiple hicap mags in the vehicle safe in the unlikely event that a more battle-oriented solution to personal safety is required. The crossbreed IWB rig provides an excellent foundation for the robust, steel 9mm.
I'm a big fan of the 4'' Model 19. Mine has the target hammer, target trigger, combat grips, and red ramp. It's a tack driver. I don't/won't carry it because it's a commemorative piece but do shoot it. I am considering a new 19-9 Hillary Hole model so I don't have to worry about wear.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
When I carry I always carry extra ammo. If I have a revolver I normally have at least 30 rounds total with speed strips and loaders. If I were to have a automatic there would be an extra clip or two depending on what the weapon would be.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
981 Posts
I carry a spare reload for whatever I'm carrying.

SP101 - 5 in gun and a reload stripper of 5 rounds
MK9 - 6+1 in the gun and a 7-round mag
Hi Power - 15 rounds in the gun and a 15-round mag
Guardian - 6+1 in gun and 6-round mag
MAX9 - 12+1 in gun and 12-round mag or 10+1 in gun and 10-round mag (depending on circumstance)

When carrying the revolver, my intent is to have the added rounds on hand in case needed. When carrying the autos, the added reason besides the extra rounds is in case the mag in the gun experiences a malfunction.

Aqualung

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I learned a long time ago to carry extra ammo after one of our guys got stuck in a firefight and ran out. He was stuck in a ditch as the other guys tried to toss him ammo without success. From that time on if I could get extra I would.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I learned a long time ago to carry extra ammo after one of our guys got stuck in a firefight and ran out. He was stuck in a ditch as the other guys tried to toss him ammo without success. From that time on if I could get extra I would.
I buy mass amounts from time to time. I make certain that we have enough to practice with and to share when needed. I do care about cost but care more about how much I have.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
981 Posts
I guess it is true, I have never brought “too much ammo”.

They will always make more.
Ammo is like toilet paper...it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...because at that point, you're in a world of crap."
- Aqualung's Law #357

Aqualung

101 - 120 of 155 Posts