Ruger Forum banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've carried for quite a few years, and I started off with a S&W Model 64 or my Security Six. As I got more accustomed to CCW and expanded my inventory I moved on to a 1911, then a Sig P232, or a Sig P226. I currently rotate my CCW every few months. I train and practice with all of them regularly. I have also read and "discussed" carry capacity on different sites and with fellow shooters. Honestly it can be a hot topic. I was taught to hit what I was shooting at and to make every shot count. I wish to cast this out for responses from my fellow forum members.

Do you carry a semi-automatic or carry a revolver?
Do you carry reloads for you CCW on you?

If you carry a semi-automatic, is it high capacity (15+)?
If you carry a revolver, do you carry reloads?

Grumpy
My CCI
I've carried for quite a few years, and I started off with a S&W Model 64 or my Security Six. As I got more accustomed to CCW and expanded my inventory I moved on to a 1911, then a Sig P232, or a Sig P226. I currently rotate my CCW every few months. I train and practice with all of them regularly. I have also read and "discussed" carry capacity on different sites and with fellow shooters. Honestly it can be a hot topic. I was taught to hit what I was shooting at and to make every shot count. I wish to cast this out for responses from my fellow forum members.

Grumpy
My every day CCW is a Walther PPQ SC 9mm 15+1, no extra mag. I prefer the 15 rd mag over the 10 rd mag for carry although both mags are very concealable and very comfortable with a JM4 RELIC IWB.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My every day carry is lc9s pro 7+1. If I'm going to the St Louis area Ruger American compact pro 18+1 and 2 18 round mags plus lcp 7+1 on my ankle plus 7 round mag.
A side note, I name all my weapons. Rac=Thelma. Lc9s=Louise. Lcp=Cricket M1=Audie So when I'm going I'll tell the hubby that I'm taking.
If I had to go to St Louis I would take an extra magazine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I carry a "New York reload" of a Ruger SP101 2.25" 357 & a Kimber 3" DASA in 357. Since I don't anticipate having to shoot through car doors I load them with Remington HTP 38 +P SJHPs. I don't want to leave empty brass and being an old timer I still like revolvers. Since I'm gray headed and disabled I imagine any confrontation with a goblin will be at what I call "Jack Ruby distance" anyway.
While at home in the recliner it is the only striker-fire I found that I like, a HK VP9 with Fort Scott Munitions TUI ammo. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I carry a "New York reload" of a Ruger SP101 2.25" 357 & a Kimber 3" DASA in 357. Since I don't anticipate having to shoot through car doors I load them with Remington HTP 38 +P SJHPs. I don't want to leave empty brass and being an old timer I still like revolvers. Since I'm gray headed and disabled I imagine any confrontation with a goblin will be at what I call "Jack Ruby distance" anyway.
While at home in the recliner it is the only striker-fire I found that I like, a HK VP9 with Fort Scott Munitions TUI ammo. That's my 2 cents.
Sounds reasonable to me. I recently bought my daughter the same Ruger. I bought her hubby a Smith 686 4'' barrel. They live in So Cal and police response is slooooow or nothing at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My current EDC is an LCP Max 10+1 with one extra mag when I can. I’m going to bump that up to 2 extra shortly. I would much rather carry 9mm but I have a terrible back and I just can’t handle the weight. The little LCP is the difference between always carrying and what became “I just can’t” more often than not.
For home defense it’s a Security 9, 10+1. Ten is all my state allows.
As an aside,I find it so disturbing to type “allows” when it comes to SD.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My current EDC is an LCP Max 10+1 with one extra mag when I can. I’m going to bump that up to 2 extra shortly. I would much rather carry 9mm but I have a terrible back and I just can’t handle the weight. The little LCP is the difference between always carrying and what became “I just can’t” more often than not.
For home defense it’s a Security 9, 10+1. Ten is all my state allows.
As an aside,I find it so disturbing to type “allows” when it comes to SD.
You are correct on the allows. Sad state of affairs. It would be nice if the supreme court would get rid of that in one fell swoop.

We have constitutional carry on the table right now in Ohio.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Grumpy
My primary EDC is a CZ75, never really felt the need for a spare mag. Even while carrying a single stack I never felt like I needed to drag around more weight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We are allowed to list three weapons on our ccw. As a retired wheel gun fan my preference is the S&W 637/crimson trace combo w/golden Sabre+P’s in desantis sticky holster, right front pocket. Strip loader in left pocket for everyday carry at home and around town.
Add the 4” Model 19 combat masterpiece w/factory magnums in Bianchi OWB and two speedloaders if heading to the jungle. God Bless Elmer Keith for convincing S&W to build one of the finest revolvers in history!
HiPower w/factory ball in multiple hicap mags in the vehicle safe in the unlikely event that a more battle-oriented solution to personal safety is required. The crossbreed IWB rig provides an excellent foundation for the robust, steel 9mm.
Noticed my error today when going through the current issue of the rifleman. It was not Elmer Keith that promoted the model 19 combat masterpiece, but Bill Jordan the legendary border patrol agent. Mr. Keith was instrumental in S&W giving us the “most powerful handgun in the world” (in its day). The .44 magnum, eventually labeled the model 29. Wish I had an early PRE-29 as discussed in that article!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Doom and gloom seems to be a fairly common line of thought with CCW.

My $0.02
Grumpy
Ain't that the truth. MHO? Most of this originates on the various You Tube gun channels, where alleged experts warn if you don't carry a full size fighting pistol with X number of spare mags, you're a dead man walking. A revolver? You're dead before you leave the house. Fact is most of these "experts" are selling ammo, trying to get people to sign up for their training courses, are shilling for Patreon bucks, or all of the above. People spend much time watching these guys, they're absolutely gonna be gloom & doom. Fact is, the only time most of us will draw & fire is at the range. That said, those who feel they have to kit up to the max, rock on. If my Shield 45 and one spare mag isn't enough, it ain't my day.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I was taught to hit too. But I was taught that by being a kid hunting with a savage break single .410 while everyone else used a 12 ga pump. So I became a good marksman and appreciate capacity. So I carry full size "high cap" 9's. I don't always but I have carried handloads of MY OWN. but never a 3rd party handload.
Failures will happen. Best to be prepped for them.
I dont try and conceal a revolver but I may someday.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Grumpy
Semi auto, transitioning to a revolver.

I carry spare mags and will carry speed loaders.

No, I carry a low capacity semi-auto. This helps make it more concealable. I carry extra magazines.

I do carry reloads when I carry a revolver.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Be cognizant of your capacity, whatever it is that you've chosen. If you're only carrying five, then only fire one or two. Then the bad guys will come to their senses and run off.

If you have five, and fire all five, then you're defenseless. If you only fire one, then they know they can't get their hands on you.

When they realize they don't have a monopoly of force they remember that they had something better to do :

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I carried my LCR and a speed strip for years. Now I carry a 10 shot Shield Plus without the second mag ony person. Same amount of shots, just more readily available.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts